Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

New Mexico at UNLV

9 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Did you really think he wouldn't be good? I saw it him last year. The guy is hard to guard and shifty. Him being a lefty really helps.

I'll admit I wasn't sure he was ever going to "get it”.

He's physically so much stronger and more capable now TJ seemd to have impressed upon him the value of efficiency. He's doing more of what he's good at and much less of what he's not as suited to do. He's probably our best overall player now. Very happy to be incorrectly skeptical of him. I also never thought Coleman could amount to much but I would guess many of us thought that. Just goes to show how much coaches and scouts know. You just never really know what you got until you give someone a fair chance to step up.

9 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I'll admit I wasn't sure he was ever going to "get it”.

He's physically so much stronger and more capable now TJ seemd to have impressed upon him the value of efficiency. He's doing more of what he's good at and much less of what he's not as suited to do. He's probably our best overall player now. Very happy to be incorrectly skeptical of him. I also never thought Coleman could amount to much but I would guess many of us thought that. Just goes to show how much coaches and scouts know. You just never really know what you got until you give someone a fair chance to step up.

I could see why Coleman was overlooked.  There are some obvious physical limitations.

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

99-78, what an ass whipping, again!

Not sure who edited my post... but i put down 58, because that how bad the ass whipping looked and felt!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

We’ve had too many players that were under valued and overlooked. Marvin has exceeded expectations but he has always had more in his game than he was allowed to show. Bryce on the other hand just needed some confidence and accountability. Combine that with good coaching and he has a big upside that we’ll see over the next few years. A big shoutout to our coaching staff for also exceeding expectations.

Right now I’ll enjoy this win and look forward to seeing how they handle the challenge of the next 4 games and beyond. Go Rebels!

Congrats to UNLV.  This conference is so much better with a good UNLV.  This game probably would've been over in the 1st half if Antonio had hit those open 3s.  Great energy and hustle throughout - fun to watch.  Also, the team recognizing Marvin Coleman's triple double was awesome.

This conference is also much better with a good New Mexico.

Here's Paul Weir postgame:

Spoiler

After the Auburn game: blamed it on travel

After the CSU game: blamed it on him starting out in a zone press and CSU getting on a roll and not being able to stop it

After this game: blames it on fatigue

UNM played much better than the CSU game, but c'mon why not address the obvious?  There are two guys on this team that are holding everyone back: Zane Martin and JaQuan Lyle.  Manigault, Hendrix, Maluach are all team-first guys.  Lyle and Martin both play hero ball and give very little effort on defense.  Lyle, to be fair, plays a ton of minutes, so some of his effort can be explained.  But Martin?  C'mon.  There's a reason that he only had an offer from Towson.  Give those minutes to Percy.

9 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

UNM has to get rid of Weir. Haven't seen a team give up on a game like that since Dave Rice was on our sideline. 

UNM could've won that game with 4 minutes left. They flat gave up.

The Paul Weir era it's starting to feel very Dave Rice to me.

Rebs are definitely a live wire for the mwc tournament this conference is so bad.

But it was pretty easy to see that it would be worse even last year. 

TJ and staff are doing well beating the bad mw teams. Its going to be interesting to see if they do a lot more with more next season.

Lyle needs to be benched full stop.

His complete lack of D intensity, high turnovers, and poor shot selection (long rebounds off misses turning into runouts) are infectious and cancerous. He can shoot but he can't seem to give any.effort  

Lobos are becoming soft and whiny yet this guy never comes off the court 

16 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The Paul Weir era it's starting to feel very Dave Rice to me.

Weir is John Calipari in comparison to Dave Rice...Weir got it done at NMSU and when he's fired will likely land on his feet at a less demanding D!/DII HC job elsewhere. 

There's a reason despite some marketable success that Rice hasn't gotten another head coaching gig anywhere else and he's back to being a career assistant....his name is mud as a HC for destroying UNLV's program and the talent he squandered. Otzelberger would've had 2011/12 and the 2012/13 UNLV squads as Sweet-16 or even Final Four with Anthony Bennett at his full potential. 

It still dumbfounds me to this day how a creep that can barely speak aced the interview and got the UNLV job when it was in such high demand post-Kruger. UNLV had a NCAA tourney-team locked and loaded and T&M was avging 15k/game... Oh wait, I remember---he asked for the least money. F*ckin' UNLV... flushed tens and tens of millions in revenue over the last 9 years trying to save an extra $500k-$1mill/yr with Rice instead of a real HC. He only had the best intentions, but wow UNLV really f*cked up there lol....

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

6 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Weir is John Calipari in comparison to Dave Rice...Weir got it done at NMSU

Weir was at New Mexico for one season and inherited a strong team from Menzies.  That’s no different than Rice’s first year at UNLV.

7 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Weir is John Calipari in comparison to Dave Rice...Weir got it done at NMSU and when he's fired will likely land on his feet at a less demanding D!/DII HC job elsewhere. 

There's a reason despite some marketable success that Rice hasn't gotten another head coaching gig anywhere else and he's back to being a career assistant....his name is mud as a HC for destroying UNLV's program and the talent he squandered. Otzelberger would've had 2011/12 and the 2012/13 UNLV squads as Sweet-16 or even Final Four with Anthony Bennett at his full potential. 

It still dumbfounds me to this day how a creep that can barely speak aced the interview and got the UNLV job when it was in such high demand post-Kruger. UNLV had a NCAA tourney-team locked and loaded and T&M was avging 15k/game... Oh wait, I remember---he asked for the least money. F*ckin' UNLV... flushed tens and tens of millions in revenue over the last 9 years trying to save an extra $500k-$1mill/yr with Rice instead of a real HC. He only had the best intentions, but wow UNLV really f*cked up there lol....

Eloquently stated and 100 percent correct.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

7 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

While I agree for the most part, what's the point in looking back? TJ has the team playing tough, sound, fundamental basketball and you'll have a shot at the conference tourney. The future is bright.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

7 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

While I agree for the most part, what's the point in looking back? TJ has the team playing tough, sound, fundamental basketball and you'll have a shot at the conference tourney. The future is bright.

I kind of find his obsession with Dave Rice disturbing.  I also question why he constantly has to put other people down.