Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

New Mexico at UNLV

That was an enjoyable game to watch.  Two old MWC heavyweights doing battle.  Rebs seem much improved from what I saw in SLC in December.  A good UNLV team is good for the MWC.  I hope the Rebel fans start coming out again to fill up the T&M. That is a tough environment when filled to the rafters.   Rebuilds take time, but any fan of any team appreciates an honest and hard fought effort win or lose.  Keep it going Rebs. 

Otz has these boys playing like a TEAM. It’s been so long since I’ve seen UNLV playing good team ball I almost forgot what it looks like. Plus this staff has some guys punching above their weight. Coleman has been a revelation. Hamilton is much improved. 

Congrats Rebels.

You are headed the right direction.

I'll have to admit that it was nice seeing the 'big three' atop the standings for awhile.

I'm afraid that UNM may not see top three again this season. OTOH, and I realize that your schedule gets tougher, UNLV could remain.

New Mexico has tough times ahead. The team is fragmented in many ways and the coach isn’t strong enough to hold it together let alone rebuild it. 

This game typified how crazy this conference is this year. Look at preseason picks and the current standings. The conference season is far from over and things could swing for UNLV but UNM has serious decisions to make.

UNLV was up by 20 against SJSU, they closed out the game playing sloppy and only won by 11....Otzelberger was foaming at the mouth chewing out Armani for fouling late in the game, his team was up double digits with 10 seconds left and he's pissed off. After the game he states the guys need to learn how to deal with success and play a full 40 minutes. 

Very next game, they play wire-to-wire and win by 21 and forced UNM into full submission-mode. PROGRESS!

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

40 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

There’s been a ton of teamwork from the Rebs throughout the game. 

I use a different scale.  They passed the ball nicely as the Lobos chased.   And they weren't challenged to help on D and the Lobos did what ever that was on O.

I'm going at least partially by the game we played against both teams.  Boise is weak this year.  All you have to do is have a plan and execute, especially with the athletes that UNM and UNLV have.   Today, UNLV wasn't really challenged and still, while UNM's wild shots fell early it was a contest.   UNLV is the superior team right now, no question.  I do think the record is lofty at this stage and will level out in the next couple months.

Coleman and Hamilton better stay for their next 2 seasons.

Antonio seems to at least have found his shot.

Hardy didn't have his most dominant game but he hit a couple buckets down the stretch including one dunk.

Blair was really effective as a 5 early in the second half.

Tough stretch coming up. Win 1 of the next 3 and go to 7-3 and I'll be impressed.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

5 hours ago, roughrider said:

UNLV is improving but this UNM team just got butt whooped by a team Boise beat.....so....

UNLV is definitely benefiting from the easiest part of their schedule, and we'll really see what this team is made of in the next 5 games. 

But it's tough to win on the road when Amauri and Antonio are shooting a combined 5 for 23...considering two our top scorers can't buy a bucket and Boise enjoyed a 31 to 19 FT advantage....I'm just glad they kept it respectable. I think UNLV will beat Boise in the T&M by a hell of a lot more than they lost by in Taco bell Arena. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Honestly this is the most fun I've had watching our team since either Lon Kruger's last year or Dave Rice's first year.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

47 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I use a different scale.  They passed the ball nicely as the Lobos chased.   And they weren't challenged to help on D and the Lobos did what ever that was on O.

I'm going at least partially by the game we played against both teams.  Boise is weak this year.  All you have to do is have a plan and execute, especially with the athletes that UNM and UNLV have.   Today, UNLV wasn't really challenged and still, while UNM's wild shots fell early it was a contest.   UNLV is the superior team right now, no question.  I do think the record is lofty at this stage and will level out in the next couple months.

Yep. But in Boise the rebels couldn’t make a shot. Not a 3, not a Layup, not a FT, just one of those nights, with a lot of frustration. Hopefully that isn’t the case when the broncos come to Vegas, lol.