Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

New Mexico at UNLV

image.jpeg University of Nevada Las Vegas

DATE: Saturday, January 18
TIME: 3 p.m.
SITE: Tarkanian Court, Thomas & Mack Center (18,000), Las Vegas
TV/VID.: CBS Sports Network (Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas)
RADIO: ESPN Radio 1100 AM (Jon Sandler, Curtis Terry, sideline: Steve Cofield)
AUDIO: UNLV Gameday App/TuneIn & UNLVRebels.com
STATS: Live Stats at Gameday App & UNLVRebels.com

Head Coach: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T.J. Otzelberger
UNLV Record: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10-9 (.526)/1st season
Career Record: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 80-42 (.656)/4th season

UNLV leads the all-time series 35-25

UNLV has won two straight over the Lobos, but has lost three of the last five

UNLV is 20-11 all-time vs. UNM at home

The Lobos had won 10 of 11 games before falling at Colorado State, 105-72, on Wednesday

UNM is undefeated at home this season at 12-0, but is 2-3 in true road games.

The Lobos rank seventh in the country in field-goal percentage at 44.1 percent. They are also first in the nation in free throws made and third in free throws attempted.

The Runnin’ Rebels (10-9, 5-1) have won five straight at the Thomas & Mack Center - The five-game Thomas & Mack Center win streak marks the Runnin’ Rebels’ longest since also winning five straight at home four years ago (2015-16). The last time UNLV won six consecutive at the TMC was in 2014-15

UNLV has outrebounded its opponent in 15 of its 19 games this season. UNLV is 9-6 in those contests

26 percent of UNLV’s games this season have gone to overtime (5 of 19).

UNLV holds the NCAA record for most consecutive games scoring at least one 3-pointer. Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 1,089 games played

The 2019-20 season marks the 37th year of Runnin’ Rebel basketball in the Thomas & Mack Center. UNLV has posted an all-time record of 496-129 (.794) in the arena since it opened in 1983

The Runnin’ Rebels have posted an all-time record of 1,298-576 (.693)

pVBhJcXR_400x400.jpg

9 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

New Mexico might be the worst 15-4 team out there.  Seven of their wins are against KenPom teams rated 200 or worse.  Two of their three top 100 KenPom wins were against NMSU.  They could fall to sub 100 with a loss.

UNM usually plays a cream-puff OOC, so its always difficult to gauge how good they actually are until conference play...But I have to admit they were pretty legit until lost both Bragg and Caldwell. They controlled the game against Wisconsin in Madison from beginning to end. 

Looks like Vance Jackson is going to be sitting out vs UNLV as well with a knee injury. That means they only have 1 player (Manigault) that's over 6'8. If UNLV doesn't completely dominate the boards and points scored in the paint then we have serious problems.

UNM is great at getting to the FT line. Only way this game is close is if it's a choppy, foul fest with 50+ FTs. I'm sure the refs will get Diong in foul trouble 6-7~ minutes into the game. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

If New Mexico plays with the same level of effort against UNLV than they did against CSU there’s no reason for any analysis.  UNLV will kill them.  The Lobos’ effort in Fort Collins was embarrassing. Reminded me of CSU in 2018 when even the refs were beating our guys up and down the floor.

But if the Lobos decide to show up, this could be a very good game. Even missing Bragg, Caldwell,and Jackson they can put 5 really good players on the floor, the smallest of whom is 6’4”.  They have depth issues but I’m not sure UNLV plays fast enough to wear them out or to take advantage of them in transition.  Both teams turn the ball over a lot so if one team can hold onto the ball, they’ll have a tremendous advantage.  I like UNLV to win on the glass and think the Rebels will pull away in the last minutes.

Agree with @Swoll Cracker. No Vance Jackson fir the next couple games at least. Keys to an easy win for Vegas...

1. Pressure JaQuan Lyle all game long. He's very sloppy and lazy when handling the ball. Easily gets frustrated, and pouts when calls don’t go his way... openly. He’ll yap at the refs about it!

2. Crash the boards... hard! Corey  Manigault is the only experienced big man we got left. He’s going to have to play soft D, to Stay in the game. We have Two 6’7” kids in Kuac, and Arroyo, but both have had limited (garbage time) experience. 
Kuac played hard at CSU, but committed 4 fouls in his time on the court, so he’ll be a foul machine.

3. PUSH THE BALL HARD! We don’t have the horses to run with the Rebels.

4. Hit your 3s! UNM does not play perimeter defense at all. Expect Weir to have the guys play a half court, zone defense. He knows his bench is extremely thin, so he’ll give up the 3pt line, hoping you guys won’t go all CSU on us! lol.

5. I'm in town for the game. So if there’s a Rebel fan on here that going to the game and would like to meet up... maybe buy me a beer, to drown my sorrows in?

oh yeah... Go Lobos!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

22 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It is crazy how this game went from a sold-out Big 3 game to this.  This conference could certainly use these two teams good again.

Weir went from worrying about how he was going to distribute minutes, to keep his starters happy, and his bench engaged... to worrying about WHO to give the minutes to on his bench now. 
Like Weir said in his post game interview; now is the time for the guys on his bench, to prove to him wrong, and that he should have got them off the bench sooner. And he’s right. He’s going to need guys to step up now, lets see who does.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

13 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Weir went from worrying about how he was going to distribute minutes, to keep his starters happy, and his bench engaged... to worrying about WHO to give the minutes to on his bench now. 
Like Weir said in his post game interview; now is the time for the guys on his bench, to prove to him wrong, and that he should have got them off the bench sooner. And he’s right. He’s going to need guys to step up now, lets see who does.

This has to be frustrating as a Lobo fan.  A ton of talent, probably the most in the conference, and those injuries and the strange cases has to be frustrating.  Hope he can figure it out.  You are still a dangerous squad to win the conference  tourney.

3 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Compare Weir’s reaction to a poor effort loss to how Otzelberger reacted after a home loss to Pacific.  Otz was pissed at his teams effort. Rather than talking about players stepping up he delivered a Come to Jesus message about the next day’s practice where he would find out who really wanted to play. And turned UNLVs season around right then and there. 

5 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Compare Weir’s reaction to a poor effort loss to how Otzelberger reacted after a home loss to Pacific.  Otz was pissed at his teams effort. Rather than talking about players stepping up he delivered a Come to Jesus message about the next day’s practice where he would find out who really wanted to play. And turned UNLVs season around right then and there. 

This is when I developed respect for TJ, regardless of what happened from there on out. We could have lost every game since, but the guy got it right that night, he set the tone for now and in the future.

I just hope the lobos don't take Weir too seriously tomorrow, lol.

18 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

This is when I developed respect for TJ, regardless of what happened from there on out. We could have lost every game since, but the guy got it right that night, he set the tone for now and in the future.

I just hope the lobos don't take Weir too seriously tomorrow, lol.

I’ve never really been sold on Weir. His teams play great as front runners but don’t handle adversity very well.  When coaches talk about changing culture, that usually means the current roster doesn’t have the attitude and effort required to play winning basketball.  

Our coach at CSU spent his first year having to coach attitude and effort at every practice, making it difficult to get better. He had 4th and 5th year players who would go ride the exercise bike if they didn’t feel like being on the court.

Otz, Medved, Smith, and Hutson are all building programs.  You can see it in how their teams play. I don’t see the same things out of Weir, Edwards, or Prioleau, all of whom are in their 3rd or 4th year.

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

This has to be frustrating as a Lobo fan.  A ton of talent, probably the most in the conference, and those injuries and the strange cases has to be frustrating.  Hope he can figure it out.  You are still a dangerous squad to win the conference  tourney.

No doubt that before the recent stuff,  the Lobos’ top 8 players were the best in the MWC. They still have a great Top 5 but the rest of the squad is very suspect right now. There are some coaches that I would bet on to get the ship righted. Weir isn’t one of them.

Rebs by 10 +. UNM's team structure has obviously changed without Bragg, Caldwell, and now Jackson. Not that UNM had really played cohesively as a team consistently, but with those three gone UNM won't be able to win games on pure talent any longer. 

New Mexico needs a complete rebuild.  They are good enough to build with HS players and only have maybe 2-3 transfers at most.  Also, they can play a much better schedule than they’ve shown.

I’ve come to see that Marvin Menzies and any of his disciples are not legit head coaches at anything higher than the WAC.

35 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

New Mexico needs a complete rebuild.  They are good enough to build with HS players and only have maybe 2-3 transfers at most.  Also, they can play a much better schedule than they’ve shown.

I’ve come to see that Marvin Menzies and any of his disciples are not legit head coaches at anything higher than the WAC.

I agree. Next year would be the perfect year to start with a new head coach. But it is going to be really hard to justify Weir's firing with that inflated record. We just canned Davie and are cash-strapped.

At the very least, Weir needs to get some assistants in there that can play a little bad cop to his good cop.  Some loud guys who demand discipline and effort.