Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rocket

The Royals

Does anybody follow the British Monarchy?

Every once in a while I'll spend a minute or two on an article.

Of course, Meghan has a special place because she's American and I just found it funny how fast William and Kate became irrelevant.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/royals/kate-middleton-has-tried-to-be-a-peacemaker-between-princes-harry-and-william-royal-expert-says/ar-BBZ2pHd?ocid=spartanntp

2 hours ago, Rocket said:

Does anybody follow the British Monarchy?

Every once in a while I'll spend a minute or two on an article.

Of course, Meghan has a special place because she's American and I just found it funny how fast William and Kate became irrelevant.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/royals/kate-middleton-has-tried-to-be-a-peacemaker-between-princes-harry-and-william-royal-expert-says/ar-BBZ2pHd?ocid=spartanntp

You obviously don't follow it closely. 

Someday, William and Kate will be King and Queen. Hardly irrelevant...at least to the Brits. anyway.

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't understand why the Royal Family exists in 2020.  The UK should cut them off and tell them to support themselves

The family is worth billions.

Forbes estimated in 2017 that the British royal family is worth $88 billion when looking at the crown's concrete assets in combination with the value of the family brand. Queen Elizabeth II had an estimated personal net worth of $530 million as of 2016.Jan 8, 2020

Who knows why the Brits keep them around but they seem to like it and it is huge business for tourism.

Not an Anglophile at all and for the most part I agree with those that question the  relevancy of the Royals BUT.... my wife has gotten me into The Crown, a Netflix series / historical drama about the Reign of Queen Elizabeth.  Highly recommend it.  She's been queen through most our shared late 20th century experience.   It has softened my stance on the Royal family. John Lithgow plays Winston Churchill.  Worth watching just for his performance. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

5 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Not an Anglophile at all and for the most part I agree with those that question the  relevancy of the Royals BUT.... my wife has gotten me into The Crown, a Netflix series / historical drama about the Reign of Queen Elizabeth.  Highly recommend it.  She's been queen through most our shared late 20th century experience.   It has softened my stance on the Royal family. John Lithgow plays Winston Churchill.  Worth watching just for his performance. 

I started watching this a couple years ago but let it slide. Need to start watching again, thought it was really well done and it does give you a different perspective.

19 minutes ago, renoskier said:

The family is worth billions.

Forbes estimated in 2017 that the British royal family is worth $88 billion when looking at the crown's concrete assets in combination with the value of the family brand. Queen Elizabeth II had an estimated personal net worth of $530 million as of 2016.Jan 8, 2020

Who knows why the Brits keep them around but they seem to like it and it is huge business for tourism.

I wonder if there is anyway to accuractly see how much money they bring in vs how much it costs to support them.  The young prince will make a fortune if he breaks away like he wants to.  

I say let them make their millions and relieve the British taxpayers of their burden.  

2 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't understand why the Royal Family exists in 2020.  The UK should cut them off and tell them to support themselves

There must be some value in the cultural first family not being the same as the family at the head of government. It’s not like anyone cares about Boris Johnson or Theresa May’s family. Nor should they, it doesn’t have anything to do with their job.

Thats the best argument I can make for the crown without tarring and feathering myself.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

50 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I started watching this a couple years ago but let it slide. Need to start watching again, thought it was really well done and it does give you a different perspective.

The only downside is we already know the series finale ends with Elizabeth ordering the death of Jeffrey Epstein. It is really well done though.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I was curious about this to and found the link below.  I think it's primarily tradition as to why the monarchy remains but tourism revenue could also be a factor to justify keeping the monarchy.  The momarchy does not interest me but including my sister I can think of 3 other friends that have visited the UK and spent a fair aount of time touring royal attractions.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/royal-wedding-family-how-much-uk-economy-benefits-cost-meghan-markle-expense-a8345436.html

10 hours ago, renoskier said:

You obviously don't follow it closely. 

Someday, William and Kate will be King and Queen. Hardly irrelevant...at least to the Brits. anyway.

I'll admit I don't follow them closely but it is funny how you misadvertantley proved my point. How dare Harry and Meghan be a cuter more interesting couple than our future king and queen. Off with ya.

9 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I've heard statements like this before. It's very odd, I just don't know what to make of it. "The UK should cut them off and tell them..." Wut?

You do realize how Monarchies work right? 

7 minutes ago, Rocket said:

I've heard statements like this before. It's very odd, I just don't know what to make of it. "The UK should cut them off and tell them..." Wut?

You do realize how Monarchies work right? 

The government functions without them now.  They are symbolic.  What would they do if they cut them off?  

The "Royals" are a deep part of the UK/British nation and heritage.  They wont be cut off.

Do disgruntled people in England not like them... duuuuh of course.

Why would we (Americans) worry about this stuff?

Harry s USA wife Meghan cant stand the London tabloid BS and scrutiny..

Can't blame her.

cerified_Subarus.jpg