Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShoichiKUN808

Todd Graham Officially Named Hawaii HC, Staff Just About Complete

36 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

It shouldn't be too hard to get one in Hawaii.

Lot of schools locally have moved away from the TE position. All the beef is in the lineman.

names starting to circle regarding the OC. Seems that Graham may try and bring in Chip Long (ex-Notre Dame OC)

I think this is a good hire by Hawaii.

I read quite a bit about him and Todd Graham was about 3rd on my wish list of coaches who I believed we could get... which was better than Arroyo.  The word was that the UNLV AD want an "up and coming" HC and not a retread.  Graham had told the media that he was content taking time off and staying in Phoenix and spending time with his family... but I bet he'll be able to sell them on the move to the islands!

Because of how he had bailed to take the ASU job, there are a lot of people that seemed to have a grudge against him.  But he did well at ASU and it surprised a lot of people that he was let go.  Maybe the AD knew at the time that they could get Herman Edwards and that prompted it.

One thing I do remember was this survey, which was taken after Graham was fired:

ToddGraham.PNG

He wouldn’t have been my choice.  Rolo re-established our offensive identity as a top-10 passing team.  Graham will try to remake us into a balanced offense.  If he fails we’ll suck again.  If he succeeds he’ll be out the door to a P5 school in a year or two.  Either way UH loses.

38 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

He wouldn’t have been my choice.  Rolo re-established our offensive identity as a top-10 passing team.  Graham will try to remake us into a balanced offense.  If he fails we’ll suck again.  If he succeeds he’ll be out the door to a P5 school in a year or two.  Either way UH loses.

Or if he succeeds, the job becomes that much more desirable.  It IS Honolulu, ya know.

3 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Victor Santa Cruz (Azusa Pacific HC) confirmed to have applied for the job. Only was confirmed because he was turned down for the job in the last hour.

So looks like coaches who have applied are being notified of them not receiving the offer.

decision likely coming up sometime very soon

I know he's a D2 HC, but he has built a solid program at APU. He would been a solid HC for Hawai'i. U of Buffalo hired a D3 HC and it's worked out very well for the buffs. I think VSC would have been a better character fit for UH.

Graham is only as good as his best coordinators. His entire career is predicated on finding that up-and-coming coordinator talent and them popping off. The good news is he's pretty good at it, the bad being increased famine with the feast. This pattern is clear. He's an executive producer that either makes the hits or gets his show canceled faster.

Let's hope he finds what he needs. Again. For the fifth, sixth (?) time. He's a wrangler, a talent scout, and his defenses are acclimated to the other side of the ball lighting up the scoreboard. I found ASU's PAC-12 recruiting fairly heavy on junior college transfers at the time of UNM's home and home series.

No matter how many christian themed books he writes or keeps in his office, Graham has a reputation for being a hothead. I remember plenty of material to work from that as well.  

I question how Graham's high stakes risk/reward business model possibly breeds that quick trigger reaction above; a louder volume to signal and compensate from a head coach in a position of higher instability. Whatever the guy proclaims about his character, I wouldn't buy a word of it. Graham isn't a lier, he's just stuck in a wheel of his own creation the entire way; trying to stop any pull of the tablecloth below before any traction.     

Also by this system, none of this behavior will actually matter if Graham can deliver the goods. And it has happened multiple times. Abrupt offer departures and quicker collapses (when talented coordinators are hired away) form more patterns. Both contributing trends from system "successes".  

If I'm Hawaii, I fund those coordinators hard and recognize Graham's shelf life requires that lightning in a bottle. Keep that leash taut and go heavy on the contract incentives. No crazy extensions. If he wants to take another job, let him. Expect it. Thank him for the best possible scenario and a burst of momentum. Boise level coordinator turnover could mean this guy folds in a year. 

Above all else, I hope this is a win hire for Hawaii and their success bucks these themes. 3-4 hot years could possibly be the ceiling for everyone involved.   

1 hour ago, kalua pig said:

i hope the team sticks together.

They mostly will. Graham is a hot head, but he knows how to turn on the charm. Back when he first started in AZ, a sport mag (SI???) did a survey of players on who they disliked the most and wouldn’t play for out of all the FBS coaches.......Toddy got the win on that one. One thing is for sure, he was pure grade A 100% dickhead when he was at Tulsa. Damn he was pathetic. I heard an interview in recent times about him working on his anger management and trying to be a better person. 

As much as I don’t like him, I applaud the AD for picking the best person and not pussying out on local pressure. The locals and their racial homerism and demands is largely why Hawaii has sucked too much in the past. They’ve had some great years, but a lot more suck, for sure. 

You can quote me on this one. Rolo is going crash and burn so badly in Pullman, it’s going to be fugly.

kat.jpg

14 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

They mostly will. Graham is a hot head, but he knows how to turn on the charm. Back when he first started in AZ, a sport mag (SI???) did a survey of players on who they disliked the most and wouldn’t play for out of all the FBS coaches.......Toddy got the win on that one. One thing is for sure, he was pure grade A 100% dickhead when he was at Tulsa. Damn he was pathetic. I heard an interview in recent times about him working on his anger management and trying to be a better person. 

As much as I don’t like him, I applaud the AD for picking the best person and not pussying out on local pressure. The locals and their racial homerism and demands is largely why Hawaii has sucked too much in the past. They’ve had some great years, but a lot more suck, for sure. 

You can quote me on this one. Rolo is going crash and burn so badly in Pullman, it’s going to be fugly.

nevada convert can't get over the fact that rolo is the real deal.