Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

San Jose State at UNLV

1 minute ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I’m curious.  Why would you rather have recruits go to prep school rather than red-shirting and getting integrated into the UNLV program/system?

Because someone has to go?

We have 7 recruits, 3 for sure open schollies, and hopefully only 2 or 3 transfers during the off-season.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

8 minutes ago, Yellow Evan said:

We have 7 recruits, 3 for sure open schollies, and hopefully only 2 or 3 transfers during the off-season.

Are some of the 7 non-qualifiers ?

Just now, Swoll Cracker said:

Are some of the 7 non-qualifiers ?

No idea.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

On the topic of the SJSU player that was ejected. My only comment after sitting on that end of the court for years is that ...it’s great to finally have some noise and students down there for the 2nd half of these games. After 37 years our opponents no longer have a quiet little place to operate at the end of a game.

The only thing we need now is another 10,000 butts in the seats.

4 hours ago, quickdraw said:

According to VC there are 5 LOI’s. 

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/unlv

There’s six.  Nick Fleming signed. His signing personally doesn’t make sense now that Coleman has emerged and the fact that we have a PG signed for 2020.

Also, my guess is that Glenn Taylor is the next 2021 commit.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:06 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

I’m curious.  Why would you rather have recruits go to prep school rather than red-shirting and getting integrated into the UNLV program/system?

Yes, marginal recruits can get another year of experience without using a year of scholarship, without burning their red-shirt season, and without starting their five year clock.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:13 AM, Yellow Evan said:

On the coach's radio show the other day TJO implied that some of the high school guys would be encouraged to do a prep school year next year.  The most obvious choices for that would be Reece Brown and Devin Tillis.

Isaac Lindsay is having hip surgery this winter, so wherever he is next fall it seems unlikely that he'll be playing.

Several of the players that will be on the roster next fall have parents in Las Vegas (so no out-of-state tuition, and with good enough GPA could have classes paid for with Millennium scholarships), so it wouldn't be shocking if one or two passed up one year of athletic scholarship for the good of the program: Tillman, Coleman, Yap, Blake, and Martinez.

There are options other than players leaving, but I expect there will be players leaving.  Dembele should be in a position to grad transfer elsewhere, if even he is going to continue playing... reportedly his knees are so bad he has trouble running the floor.

4 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Yes, marginal recruits can get another year of experience without using a year of scholarship, without burning their red-shirt season, and without starting their five year clock.

On the coach's radio show the other day TJO implied that some of the high school guys would be encouraged to do a prep school year next year.  The most obvious choices for that would be Reece Brown and Devin Tillis.

Isaac Lindsay is having hip surgery this winter, so wherever he is next fall it seems unlikely that he'll be playing.

Several of the players that will be on the roster next fall have parents in Las Vegas (so no out-of-state tuition, and with good enough GPA could have classes paid for with Millennium scholarships), so it wouldn't be shocking if one or two passed up one year of athletic scholarship for the good of the program: Tillman, Coleman, Yap, Blake, and Martinez.

There are options other than players leaving, but I expect there will be players leaving.  Dembele should be in a position to grad transfer elsewhere, if even he is going to continue playing... reportedly his knees are so bad he has trouble running the floor.

Dembele will be gone.  My guess is that Jay Green will be gone as well.  I know he does well academically, and I think he might graduate this spring.

I don’t see Reece Brown going to prep school.  He’s too good IMO to go there.  Devin Tillis seems like the most obvious choice for that.  I would think that Isaac Lindsey would go to prep school as well.