Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

San Jose State at UNLV

3 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

biggest boo of the night was from fans begging UNLV to score with 17 seconds left. What was the spread for this game? Otz has to know the golden rule in Las Vegas: good teams win, great teams cover. 

2nd half bet was UNLV -5.5 ......ended at 5 :pullhair:

Kind of a bizzaro season for UNLV if you look at the past 10+ years or so. 

Under Rice and even Kruger, even when we had stacked teams it seemed like every year UNLV played their best ball OOC, usually knocking down some marquee wins vs. ranked or upper-tier P5 programs. Then conference play would roll around and they would fizzle out and lose to bottom of the conference teams they had no business losing to at the time. Now they're playing their best ball in conference, after a total mess in OOC. 

UNLV is at that point where they normally fizzle out, but after a horrible OOC they've won 6 out of their last 7. Other than an ice-cold shooting performance against Boise they're winning the games that they're supposed to win. It's little things like this that you like to see during a rebuild season under a new coach. After being lost against the zone vs. Wyoming, SJSU tried it out and it shook UNLV for a few possessions but they adjusted and played well the rest of the game. PROGRESS!

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

8 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Under Rice and even Kruger, even when we had stacked teams it seemed like every year UNLV played their best ball OOC, usually knocking down some marquee wins vs. ranked or upper-tier P5 programs. Then conference play would roll around and they would fizzle out and lose to bottom of the conference teams they had no business losing to at the time. Now they're playing their best ball in conference, after a total mess in OOC. 

UNLV is at that point where they normally fizzle out, but after a horrible OOC they've won 6 out of their last 7. Other than an ice-cold shooting performance against Boise they're winning the games that they're supposed to win. It's little things like this that you like to see during a rebuild season under a new coach. After being lost against the zone vs. Wyoming, SJSU tried it out and it shook UNLV for a few possessions but they adjusted and played well the rest of the game. PROGRESS!

Next year’s OOC is going to be brutal.

For this year, all they need to do is beat New Mexico on Saturday, and they should be guaranteed no worse than fifth place.

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

For this year, all they need to do is beat New Mexico on Saturday, and they should be guaranteed no worse than fifth place.

We're all playing for second and it's possible for about 6 of the teams.

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

26 minutes ago, toonkee said:

UNLV has clinched a top five seed with a win Saturday.  They would only have to go 3-8 the rest of the way to get to 9-9.  Because San Diego State is taking two wins away from everyone, 9-9 will be enough.

11 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Yeah, I'm waiting for the floor to drop out of this team because we've become so accustomed to it over the past 8 years.  We haven't started this well in conference play since probably the 91-92 season.  Glad they side stepped the trap game last night.  Really pulled away in the second half and had it in control from there.  Gotta hold serve at home on Saturday vs the Lobos who are struggling right now.  I'm really enjoying watching this team come together.  Haven't seen this from a Rebel team since LK walked our sidelines.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised since KK is now walking the sideline.  

It was UNLV's fifth straight win at home, gave it sole possession of second place in the Mountain West and was its sixth victory in its last seven games.

Sophomore Marvin Coleman led the team in scoring with 17 points, while junior Amauri Hardy and sophomore Bryce Hamilton each had 16, junior Jonah Antonio scored 15, junior Mbacke Diong contributed 12 and junior Donnie Tillman added 10. Diong recorded a game-high 13 rebounds for his fourth double-double of the season.

San Jose State (6-13, 2-5) had four players in double-digit scoring, led by Seneca Knight's 30 points.

HOT SHOOTING: Antonio made 5 of 10 3-pointers vs. the Spartans and has connected from long distance on 10 of 22 over his last two games.

SHARING THE BALL: Coleman and Hardy combined for 16 assists, each recording a season-high eight. As a team, UNLV dished out a season-high 23 assists on 31 made baskets.

NOTES: 
- UNLV's five-game home win streak is its longest in four years.
- The 98 points scored is a season high.
- UNLV shot 55.4 percent from the field (31 of 56), running its record to 5-0 in games where it shoots 50 percent or better.
- The Runnin' Rebels shot 40 percent from 3-point range (8 of 20) and a season-high 84.8 percent from the free-throw line (28 of 33).
- After making just 1 of 8 3-pointers in the first half, UNLV shot 7 of 12 from long distance over the final 20 minutes.
- UNLV led by as many as 20 points with 5:41 to go in the game.
- UNLV outscored SJSU 42-28 in points in the paint and 15-7 in second-chance points.
- UNLV outrebounded SJSU 45-23, marking the 15th time this season it has recorded more rebounds than its opponent.
- UNLV was without senior guard Elijah Mitrou-Long for the 10th straight game because of a broken thumb.
- UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,089 straight games.

NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN' REBELS: UNLV will remain home to host New Mexico at the Thomas & Mack Center on Saturday, Jan. 18 at 3 p.m. The game will be a blackout with all fans encouraged to wear black. 250 lucky fans in attendance will win a black UNLV jersey (text to win). The Athletics Department is offering a "Break Game" special as students are still on winter break. A four-pack of tickets for that game is just $64 in the lower bowl. 

This game was just another brick in building a foundation. Another opportunity for growth and buy in to a team concept. Our schedule Steps up several notches over the next few weeks which will be fun to watch how we react to the competition.

The main thing that I’ve seen consistently improve over the past month has been player development. Hardy while possibly shooting less has become very efficient in every part of his game. Coleman the sophomore has been growing into a respectable point guard, scorer and floor general in front of our eyes. Hamilton as a sophomore Is showing signs of confidence in his play and with that composure has been one of the most efficient scorers on the team. Diong has established himself as a legitimate and respected center.

Just a short month ago all of the talk was about a cobbled together team with few athletes. While I won’t get into that I will point out that they are all getting coached up and it shows on the floor. No way to know how the next few months will play out but I’m very happy with the direction of this team to date. I have no expectations except what I listed VVVVVVVVVVVV. GO REBELS!

I wish the fans would come back. They are missing an entertaining product. Watching a team play hard for a whole game, every game, makes me realize how long its been since I've seen that from UNLV and how much I've missed it.

My sources are saying that Marvin Coleman will be the starter at point guard when EML returns, which will be in about 10 days.

They also say that some of the recruits might not come next year and instead go to prep school (hopefully never at all).

Way to put away a bad team. I cant believe how bad the conference is this year. Definitely worse than last year.

Either way proud the team and staff are handling business, but even happier how the Totz basically blasted the teams defense and effort after a win. 

A single tear dropped from my eye.

4 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I wish the fans would come back. They are missing an entertaining product. Watching a team play hard for a whole game, every game, makes me realize how long its been since I've seen that from UNLV and how much I've missed it.

Only way the fanbase came back this year was winning big out of conference. Noone is itching to watch sjsu or really any of the mw teams the Rebs have beaten so far. All conference wins are big wins, but this fanbase has seen the Rebs start hot against bad teams and then fizzle down the stretch.

I think this team finishes above its projected placing, but i dont think many thought the mw would be this bad top to bottom. Most here could only focus on how bad the conference was last year, but not a peep this year when its worse. The casual fans know, though. 

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

My sources are saying that Marvin Coleman will be the starter at point guard when EML returns, which will be in about 10 days.

They also say that some of the recruits might not come next year and instead go to prep school (hopefully never at all).

I seriously hope both of those things are true.

I think the Coleman bit is obvious. EML I guess is a capable backup but Coleman is the feel good story of the team and maybe the #1 reason for our turnaround. TJ Otzlberger rightly seems in love with him.

i hope more so that we don't lose much of the current core. We have Hamitltion and Coleman for 2 more years, Diong, Antonio, and Hardy for another year, and David Jenkins for 1-2 more seasons. I for sure think we could use Blake and Martinez next season but everything else is kinda eh, especially guard wise were we have a lot of depth really.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

On 1/15/2020 at 9:04 PM, UNLV2001 said:

On 1/15/2020 at 9:12 PM, toonkee said:

The students were taunting him by just saying his name over and over. They say he was yelling weird things at the court like he was mentally ill.

"Students"?  Other than the band we don't get many students on the west end of the court other than the band.  Someone in the band was pretty vocal, and annoyingly so even in the second half long after that player left.

Below is "radio guy" Brian Shapiro's version of how it escalated.  He was sitting with Chris Winn (the guy who shot the video @UNLV2001 linked above) over in what appears to be section 118.  I was in 121, which is in the background of the video.

I didn't see the player go into the stands, and wasn't aware things were escalating until the ref on the opposite (north) side of the court started watching the interaction between the player and the guy in the suit (who at the time I thought was an assistant coach, but I guess was security).  The player was standing up at the end of the bench from the start of the game and people were yelling for him to sit down... at first I assumed because since he was so large he was blocking their view.  But he was also at times standing on the court (coach Prioleau did also, but coaches get away with it all the time) and even though he was in the corner far from play, technically that is 6 men on the court and I think that is what got more fans yelling at him and the refs, trying to get a technical called.  I don't know why the SJSU staff tuned it out so long, but it was an odd scene.

11 hours ago, Yellow Evan said:

I seriously hope both of those things are true.

I think the Coleman bit is obvious. EML I guess is a capable backup but Coleman is the feel good story of the team and maybe the #1 reason for our turnaround. TJ Otzlberger rightly seems in love with him.

i hope more so that we don't lose much of the current core. We have Hamitltion and Coleman for 2 more years, Diong, Antonio, and Hardy for another year, and David Jenkins for 1-2 more seasons. I for sure think we could use Blake and Martinez next season but everything else is kinda eh, especially guard wise were we have a lot of depth really.

I’m curious.  Why would you rather have recruits go to prep school rather than red-shirting and getting integrated into the UNLV program/system?