Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

Aztecs @ Dawgs. This has upset written all over it.

Those commentators were basically shit, but with sprinkles.

Robinson's going to be a beast. Seems like someone installed a governor on Grimes' motor. And I see why we were recruiting Jordan Campbell so hard.

Anyway, 18-0. :cheers: Bring on Nevada.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

What are they saying? Sorry, I can't watch the game where I am.

Didn't say much.  Just that USU nearly took down Saint Mary's, and had a three game losing streak before their win over Nevada.  

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Aztecs accomplished an old Fish objective: make more free throws than the other team takes. Easier now that the team can actually shoot free throws. 

Aztecs #1 In FT% in conference games - 83.0% 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

Not that I wasn’t before but I’m really impressed with this Aztec team. There was every opportunity for them to take a night off, the tough early travel schedule, missing key post players etc. But even with an off shooting night they still gutted out a win against the pesky and suddenly deeper and well rested Bulldogs. Look, I get it they weren’t playing Duke but the Aztecs did what they do to win on the road. Not a lot of teams are doing that right now (including the aforementioned Duke last night).

Weird stat of the night/season/career: SDSU guard Jordan Shakel, a career 41.6% shooter (40.2% from 3) and averaging 9.5 points a game this season, is now O-fer as an Aztec at Save Mart Center. Yep, the kid has yet to score a single point at the venue in three games there.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

Every team in the MWC could learn a lesson watching how hard Fresno played for 40 minutes. They may have a lot of inexperience but its play like that that wins games in the long run.  As for San Diego State, they matched Fresno’s level of effort and that allowed their edge in talent to emerge.  Once they got their nose in front, they kept in there, then put it away with a fantastic 7-0 burst where Malachi Flynn showed his class.

14 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Every team in the MWC could learn a lesson watching how hard Fresno played for 40 minutes. They may have a lot of inexperience but its play like that that wins games in the long run. 

Wonder if that was noticed by the jerk with the Bee who trashed Hutson in his lame ass column the other day.

Boom goes the dynamite.

9 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Those commentators were basically shit, but with sprinkles.

Robinson's going to be a beast. Seems like someone installed a governor on Grimes' motor. And I see why we were recruiting Jordan Campbell so hard.

Campbell will be good at some point but he killed Fresno last night.

Grimes lack of production was surprising.

We took control of the game  at the end of the 1st half when Dutch had  Yanni and Narain  on the floor at the same time.  Before that we were getting pushed around a little in the post. A pretty solid coaching move IMO, 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I thought both teams looked tired.

Flynn was definitely tired

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Viejas has been Nevada's house of horrors. Don't expect much of a fight with the way Nevada has played since the Boise route.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

34 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Viejas has been Nevada's house of horrors. Don't expect much of a fight with the way Nevada has played since the Boise route.

With the grind of a sked we've had the last week+, I'll take an easy W* or 2... Like @SDSUfan said, we looked a little tired, and we don't get a full week between games until the first week of Feb. 

*As you know, there's really no such thing as an "easy W" when you have a target on your back the size of a Target.

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Campbell will be good at some point but he killed Fresno last night.

Grimes lack of production was surprising.

We took control of the game  at the end of the 1st half when Dutch had  Yanni and Narain  on the floor at the same time.  Before that we were getting pushed around a little in the post. A pretty solid coaching move IMO, 

That’s where we miss Mensah. I really hope he comes back late in the season.  

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 minute ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

That’s where we miss Mensah. I really hope he comes back late in the season.  

Even if he doesn't, I would love to see Nolan or Joel (or AG?) develop to the point they can start alongside Yanni - we're simply a different team when we can start two legit bigs and bring Matt off the bench like a 6th starter. Best case IMO is having a rim protector to allow Yanni to play his more natural 4-spot. Back-up would be having AG start at the 4. 

This becomes increasingly necessary if we're going to make a deep run in March. My nightmare scenario is Matt trying to guard a 6-10 PF and picking up two quick fouls, amounting to what is essentially two tactical losses (sitting him early and losing the option of bringing him off the bench).

The Aztecs keep rolling through the MWC. I doubt they lose at home the rest of the season. It’s not likely, but they still could lose at Nevada, at Boise State, at New Mexico, or at UNLV. My guess is at least one of those teams will halt the unbeaten streak which may not be a bad thing.

I’ve always felt being unbeaten adds more pressure heading into the NCAA tournament. You start playing not to lose. 

53 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The Aztecs keep rolling through the MWC. I doubt they lose at home the rest of the season. It’s not likely, but they still could lose at Nevada, at Boise State, at New Mexico, or at UNLV. My guess is at least one of those teams will halt the unbeaten streak which may not be a bad thing.

I’ve always felt being unbeaten adds more pressure heading into the NCAA tournament. You start playing not to lose. 

I'd add Clune to that list of potential pitfalls as well.

But with regards to the mindset minefield of which you speak, I think they're too mature and too focused, both at the individual level and as a unit. There was a quote from Matt Mitchell within the last week where in reference to the 20 game win streak (set twice in the last decade), he said something to the effect of their goal is a national championship.

Too much maturity spread across too much depth IMO - between two 5th-year seniors, a 4th-year junior, and two other juniors - they keep each other tethered and balanced. Of course, one could have made the same argument about last year's Nevada squad I suppose, but IMO there was a significantly greater emotional component to last year's Nevada team chemistry when compared to this year's Aztec team.

49 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Even if he doesn't, I would love to see Nolan or Joel (or AG?) develop to the point they can start alongside Yanni - we're simply a different team when we can start two legit bigs and bring Matt off the bench like a 6th starter. Best case IMO is having a rim protector to allow Yanni to play his more natural 4-spot. Back-up would be having AG start at the 4. 

This becomes increasingly necessary if we're going to make a deep run in March. My nightmare scenario is Matt trying to guard a 6-10 PF and picking up two quick fouls, amounting to what is essentially two tactical losses (sitting him early and losing the option of bringing him off the bench).

Yeah that's my thinking as well about March. With two bigs it gave us the ability to pound inside which of course just opened up our outside shots even more. Of course also even stronger defensively as I saw by some arcane measure Nathan was the top-rated defensive player in the league.

51 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

They're favored in every game going forward but they're still predicted to lose two at some point.

1 minute ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

They're favored in every game going forward but they're still predicted to lose two at some point.

I’d be fine if they lost their first game in the MWC tournament. But please don’t make the second loss be in the first round of the NCAA tournament. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

There does seem to be added pressure about staying undefeated that starts to build up as the season goes along.  I remember in 2010-2011 when we started out 8-0, then 12-0, ... the rotation gets a little bit shorter, the starters stay in longer, and some of the subs don't really get much court time to get better.  I think that happened to Nevada last year when they started out 14-0.  They logged heavy minutes and seemed burnt out by the end of the season.  Even though Malachi Flynn played all 40 minutes last night, Dutcher has been able to work out a 9 man rotation, so hopefully our bench players are getting good experience that will help out in March.