Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Has anybody invited Trump to the MWCBOARD?

4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

@modestobulldog you anywhere near Devin’s district and do you plan to vote for him?  

Fresno/Tulare in a death match with Escondido/El Cajon to see which part of the state can be most like rural Louisiana. Escondido in the earlier lead voting in Hunter put Fresno making a push with Nunez.   

The Fresno/Tulare corridor is considerably worse than Escondido to El Cajon.

Anyone who might think there's no poverty in California should look at photos of Earlimart. And I can't remember whether it's just north or south of Earlimart but there's basically a homeless community of 1,000 people or so which was started by descendants pf African Americans whose families have been impoverished in that area for generations. To my knowledge all of that is in Nunes' congressional district and I've never heard anything to suggest he gives a rat's ass about them.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:12 AM, sactowndog said:

@modestobulldog you anywhere near Devin’s district and do you plan to vote for him?  

Fresno/Tulare in a death match with Escondido/El Cajon to see which part of the state can be most like rural Louisiana. Escondido in the earlier lead voting in Hunter put Fresno making a push with Nunez.   

19 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

The Fresno/Tulare corridor is considerably worse than Escondido to El Cajon.

Anyone who might think there's no poverty in California should look at photos of Earlimart. And I can't remember whether it's just north or south of Earlimart but there's basically a homeless community of 1,000 people or so which was started by descendants pf African Americans whose families have been impoverished in that area for generations. To my knowledge all of that is in Nunes' congressional district and I've never heard anything to suggest he gives a rat's ass about them.

I live in Modesto, retiring May 31, may move out of state eventually, my wife is slowly warming up to it.  I have a cabin in Northern Wisconsin, been in the family 100 years, but to damn cold to live through the 6 months of winter.

I doubt your area would be much better if it weren't for government spending.  Although you didn't go to Fresno State, I suspect you have a family member that did and there is a decent chance they were tied to agriculture.  The water policy of the last couple of decades has intentionally been punitive to Farmers (and valley economy) because of conservative voting.  Huge acerage has been taken out of production by flushing the water to the ocean in the name of the environment.  Instead of Sacramento area and Stockton improving wastewater treatment, practice is to dilute pollution entering the Delta with lots of water that was be used for agriculture.  Salmon and native fish runs have not been restored, they are as bad as ever.  What is the rate of return on California's $30B water bond?  How many drops of new storage?

30 years ago after buying my first house, I was reading the McClatchy Modesto Bee on the back patio on a fall Saturday morning. An article talked about how San Jose was encouraging welfare recipients to move out to our area. It wasn't that far away, and their money would go further. I thought to myself, huh.

Crime is higher in our area of the state because of the state coddling of criminals, and a huge percentage of illegal immigrants.  Heck, the governor is talking about closing a prison. The savings of the reduced prison population is being born by drastically increasing costs associated with crime across the state.

What is your suggested solution to improve income  Devin Nunes district?

110926run_defense710.jpg

4 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

I live in Modesto, retiring May 31, may move out of state eventually, my wife is slowly warming up to it.  I have a cabin in Northern Wisconsin, been in the family 100 years, but to damn cold to live through the 6 months of winter.

I doubt your area would be much better if it weren't for government spending.  Although you didn't go to Fresno State, I suspect you have a family member that did and there is a decent chance they were tied to agriculture.  The water policy of the last couple of decades has intentionally been punitive to Farmers (and valley economy) because of conservative voting.  Huge acerage has been taken out of production by flushing the water to the ocean in the name of the environment.  Instead of Sacramento area and Stockton improving wastewater treatment, practice is to dilute pollution entering the Delta with lots of water that was be used for agriculture.  Salmon and native fish runs have not been restored, they are as bad as ever.  What is the rate of return on California's $30B water bond?  How many drops of new storage?

30 years ago after buying my first house, I was reading the McClatchy Modesto Bee on the back patio on a fall Saturday morning. An article talked about how San Jose was encouraging welfare recipients to move out to our area. It wasn't that far away, and their money would go further. I thought to myself, huh.

Crime is higher in our area of the state because of the state coddling of criminals, and a huge percentage of illegal immigrants.  Heck, the governor is talking about closing a prison. The savings of the reduced prison population is being born by drastically increasing costs associated with crime across the state.

Congrats on your retirement.

We lived in Fresno for six years when I was a little kid where Dad worked for a consulting firm. We lived by where Fashion Fair mall now is and it was very rural back then and I loved it as a little kid. After having moved from the more urban and temperate East Bay, my parents didn't like Fresno. Bulldogs on this board have said many times how great it is to live near Yosemite, Sequioia etc. However, Dad told me when I was older that he got to know Julio Gallo very well and rather than going to the mountains, Julio would fly to the Bay Area whenever possible to get out of Fresno.

What could Nunes maybe do to help the Central Valley economy? How 'bout assist in diversifying the economy so it isn't so agriculture-centric? As an example, when I heard that Elon Musk wanted to locate a battery building facility outside the Bay Area because the land there had gotten so expensive, I immediately thought of Fresno. Instead Musk built in Reno. Or how 'bout if Nunes pushed for a desalinization facility on the central coast from which water could be transported to the Central Valley? Those things come immediately to mind.

Boom goes the dynamite.

10 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Congrats on your retirement.

We lived in Fresno for six years when I was a little kid where Dad worked for a consulting firm. We lived by where Fashion Fair mall now is and it was very rural back then and I loved it as a little kid. After having moved from the more urban and temperate East Bay, my parents didn't like Fresno. Bulldogs on this board have said many times how great it is to live near Yosemite, Sequioia etc. However, Dad told me when I was older that he got to know Julio Gallo very well and rather than going to the mountains, Julio would fly to the Bay Area whenever possible to get out of Fresno.

What could Nunes maybe do to help the Central Valley economy? How 'bout assist in diversifying the economy so it isn't so agriculture-centric? As an example, when I heard that Elon Musk wanted to locate a battery building facility outside the Bay Area because the land there had gotten so expensive, I immediately thought of Fresno. Instead Musk built in Reno. Or how 'bout if Nunes pushed for a desalinization facility on the central coast from which water could be transported to the Central Valley? Those things come immediately to mind.

If Musk had not got a sweetheart deal on the old GM/TOYOTA NUMMI plant, no way in hell he would have built ground up in California.  A desalination plant with the abundance of water flowing to the oceans is the most asinine idea I have heard for the valley. Next to the not-so fast, semi-high-speed rail that will take a generation to build and hundreds of billions of dollars, desalination for the valley is cost prohibitive.

110926run_defense710.jpg

5 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

If Musk had not got a sweetheart deal on the old GM/TOYOTA NUMMI plant, no way in hell he would have built ground up in California.  A desalination plant with the abundance of water flowing to the oceans is the most asinine idea I have heard for the valley. Next to the not-so fast, semi-high-speed rail that will take a generation to build and hundreds of billions of dollars, desalination for the valley is cost prohibitive.

You mean water flowing to the ocean from the Central Valley? If that's so, why is it I've seen reports that the valley water table has been pumped down a foot or more by farmers? Seems to me that unless farmers get more water from some source, the US is going to continue to purchase more and more produce from south of the border. Isn't almond production now nearly impossible?

Sorry about how depressed you are about your home but without some out of the box thinking, it seems to me it will just continue to die a slow death.

Boom goes the dynamite.

12 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Well my comment was more along the lines of voting corrupt politicians into office.   But my answer would be tax free enterprise zones that competed with low tax states like Texas and to allow Fresno to offer doctoral degrees in applied sciences.  

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

Well my comment was more along the lines of voting corrupt politicians into office.   But my answer would be tax free enterprise zones that competed with low tax states like Texas and to allow Fresno to offer doctoral degrees in applied sciences.  

BTW none of my immediate family was tied to ag though my grandfather was a banker for ag.

8 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

BTW none of my immediate family was tied to ag though my grandfather was a banker for ag.

Just curious how you became a fan, did your wife go to Fresno State?

110926run_defense710.jpg

48 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Agriculture is a noble profession. Indeed, my materal grandfather managed to get to our great country mainly because his family had grown potatoes in what was then called "the" Ukraine and the US government was looking for people to do that so he was let in under the Homestead Act to raise potatoes in Idaho. My only problem with agriculture is when it evolves into huge corporations which undercut family businesses which then expect subsidies from the government.

Boom goes the dynamite.

10 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Just curious how you became a fan, did your wife go to Fresno State?

No my Dad and sister did while rest of family went to USC or UCLA.   Grew up in LA as a USC fan whose parents had season tickets for quite a while.   When my sister went to Fresno, my dad (now divorced) would drive from LA to Fresno and they would go to the game together.   He died young (60) leaving my sister as the lone Fresno fan.   So I switched teams and rooted for Fresno.   

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

No my Dad and sister did while rest of family went to USC or UCLA.   Grew up in LA as a USC fan whose parents had season tickets for quite a while.   When my sister went to Fresno, my dad (now divorced) would drive from LA to Fresno and they would go to the game together.   He died young (60) leaving my sister as the lone Fresno fan.   So I switched teams and rooted for Fresno.   

You are an awesome fan. My younger son didn't go to Fresno State, but drives up from Montecito for games.  

110926run_defense710.jpg

6 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

:lol:

Well done whoever put this together.

Chapeau.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor