Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attendance Inflation Hits Bowls

THIS POST WAS MADE BY "QUE VADAS" on the realignment  board.  My cousin actually lives in Birmingham and said it was raining the day of the bowl and the day before it for a total of over 3 inches of rain. She actually had complimentary tickets to the bowl but chose to stay home.  I don't have knowledge of the weather in Vegas on the day of the bowl.  In either case these were the worst offenders but not the only bowls to overclaim attendence.

Inflated Bowl attendance figures (Las Vegas and Birmingham) 
Apparently, attendance inflation isn't just a school thing, bowls do it too:

For example, the AP reported this week that the Las Vegas Bowl announced attendance of 34,197 but tickets scanned by the stadium were 16,568.

The Birmingham (toilet) Bowl was even worse: Announced attendance of 27,193 while actual attendance was 9,679. 

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

I saw him strolling with a hot babe when I was in Granada 3 years ago. Prove me wrong. 

Is it inflation if they tell you what both of the numbers are?  They are technically two separate ways to look at attendance.  Tickets purchase and tickets scanned.  Yes, you can pump up tickets purchased but they were purchased, so what's the issue?

Both numbers are a bad look for the bowl. Watching on TV, my eyes see empty seats and think, must be a nothing game. If I read the box score and see 28k seats sold out of 35k, I again think, meh, if the alumni and community don't care about these teams, why should I ?

Yes, the bowl still gets it's money from the tkt sales, but they lose out on the revenue of the no shows. Parking and concessions.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

4 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Is it inflation if they tell you what both of the numbers are?  They are technically two separate ways to look at attendance.  Tickets purchase and tickets scanned.  Yes, you can pump up tickets purchased but they were purchased, so what's the issue?

There's one-way to measure tickets PURCHASED.

There's one-way to measure ATTENDANCE.

"Purchasing" & "attending" a verbs with very different meanings.

8 hours ago, 1066 said:

THIS POST WAS MADE BY "QUE VADAS" on the realignment  board.  My cousin actually lives in Birmingham and said it was raining the day of the bowl and the day before it for a total of over 3 inches of rain. She actually had complimentary tickets to the bowl but chose to stay home.  I don't have knowledge of the weather in Vegas on the day of the bowl.  In either case these were the worst offenders but not the only bowls to overclaim attendence.

Inflated Bowl attendance figures (Las Vegas and Birmingham) 
Apparently, attendance inflation isn't just a school thing, bowls do it too:

For example, the AP reported this week that the Las Vegas Bowl announced attendance of 34,197 but tickets scanned by the stadium were 16,568.

The Birmingham (toilet) Bowl was even worse: Announced attendance of 27,193 while actual attendance was 9,679. 

I have a very hard time believing there was only 16,568 at the Las Vegas Bowl.

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

10 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

There's one-way to measure tickets PURCHASED.

There's one-way to measure ATTENDANCE.

"Purchasing" & "attending" a verbs with very different meanings.

Speaking of verbs...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Yeah. Looked mostly full to me.

I went to the 2018 Las Vegas Bowl with Fresno State vs ASU, so watching the 2019 Vegas Bowl it may have been slightly less attended looking at the end zone sections but it wasn’t that far off. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg