Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

OT: MLB Cheating Scandal

29 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I bet most if not all teams do this. Too much $$$ involved to not do everything you can to give your hitters a better chance. 

Maybe from a baserunner at second base,  but not on the scale the Astros did it. It’s a huge advantage to know what pitch is coming. It would be like the defense knowing what play the offense was going to run before the ball is hiked. the  IMO their manager should be banned from baseball. I think the team should receive a minimum three year ban from the playoffs. 

18 hours ago, retrofade said:

No, it was via cameras and then signals relayed to batters. Low tech stealing signs is technically legal to my knowledge... what the Astros (and now the Red Sox) have been implicated in doing isn't legal at all.

Low tech sign stealing (runner on 2nd) is legal and has been a part of the game since it began. 

Dodgers fans are normally the last people I would feel sorry for, but to lose back to back World Series to teams it turns out were cheating has to hurt. Sports talk in the LA area, particularly after the second one, was just brutal. The dodgers are choke artists, Kershaw is washed, fire Roberts, etc. Makes me kinda glad that my team sucks.

Carlos Beltran now out as Manager for the Mets as part of the cheating scandal during his time with the Astros. The plot thickens now with reports coming out that Jose Altuve is being accused of wearing a wire under his jersey that buzzed telling him what kind of pitch was coming during the ALCS game last year against the Yankees. I think that if all of this is true then the Astros need to be suspended from the playoffs for 2 seasons, first round draft picks need to be stripped, team needs to be fined, and players knowingly involved need to be suspended. If Altuve wore a wire then that should be a lifetime ban. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/carlos-beltran-steps-down-as-mets-manager

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

3 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

Carlos Beltran now out as Manager for the Mets as part of the cheating scandal during his time with the Astros. The plot thickens now with reports coming out that Jose Altuve is being accused of wearing a wire under his jersey that buzzed telling him what kind of pitch was coming during the ALCS game last year against the Yankees. I think that if all of this is true then the Astros need to be suspended from the playoffs for 2 seasons, first round draft picks need to be stripped, team needs to be fined, and players knowingly involved need to be suspended. If Altuve wore a wire then that should be a lifetime ban. 

This is incredible.  MLB is saying no evidence of wearable technology but that kind of stuff is hard to keep quiet and Trevor Bauer says he heard about it.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28498781/no-evidence-astros-used-wearable-devices-aid-sign-stealing

4 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

That's honestly about the most Mets thing ever, and I find it hilarious.

41 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Astros are still gonna come out and win 105 games next year.

Astros are going to get booed out of every stadium they visit this year. I wouldn't be surprised if there are free trashcan giveaways for the first 15k fans each game. They will be lucky to win 65% of their games. 

1 hour ago, nielsbohr said:

This is incredible.  MLB is saying no evidence of wearable technology but that kind of stuff is hard to keep quiet and Trevor Bauer says he heard about it.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28498781/no-evidence-astros-used-wearable-devices-aid-sign-stealing

I fully believe there is more at play here. I don't normally dive into conspiracy theories, but my tinfoil hat is strapped on right now. 

1 minute ago, ridgeview2 said:

Astros are going to get booed out of every stadium they visit this year. I wouldn't be surprised if there are free trashcan giveaways for the first 15k fans each game. They will be lucky to win 65% of their games. 

65 percent is 106 wins. Not like booing does anything.

3 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

A ton of minor league teams have already planned trash can themed giveaways/events for when their affiliates meet up with the Astros affiliates this next year. I +++++ing love it. 

43 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Yes they will. They still have one of the most talented teams in baseball. They had the 3rd best road record in baseball. 

Losing Cole is big.  Plus it will depend on who they bring in as a manager.  A guy like Showalter might put a damper on their chemistry. 

1 hour ago, IanforHeisman said:

Happened back in 2015/2016 between Yankees and Red Sox, both teams were caught and fined. Yankees stopped after the rules were changed, apparently the Red Sox didn't get the memo. 

The report noted the Red Sox and Yankees' approach came at a time before MLB laid down more explicit rules regarding the use of electronics to steal signs. MLB issued fines to Boston and New York in September 2017 for attempting to electronically steal signs.

As for the Dodgers.....ok? that doesn't tell me anything. "suspicious and believed" of using video cameras isn't hard evidence. Houston was caught WITH evidence and is paying the price for it. 

Both manager Mickey Callaway and bench coach Jim Riggleman said they think the Dodgers, who have beaten the Mets in two of the past three games, know what pitches are coming."I think they have a system that helps them get some signs and stuff," Riggleman told the New York Post's Kevin Kernan. "I don't think it's anything illegal, but I think they just do a good job of picking up things. If you do anything in your delivery that's different, if your sequences are repetitive. We talked about it. Because they are taking some hefty cuts. They are not getting cheated. We made some pretty good pitches that they got. We'll do better.''