Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

OT: MLB Cheating Scandal

Welp .. Astros cleaning house, firing their GM and manager:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28476780/astros-jeff-luhnow-aj-hinch-fired-sign-stealing

AJ Hinch is probably done, won't manage again. I think Red Sox manager Alex Cora might go down as well. The good news for Cora is he could always get a job with the Patriots. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

I'm not that into baseball. How does sign stealing work? Say a sign is successfully stolen, how does the sign get relayed to the batter in time? 

Houston was using a video camera then signs were relayed to the Astros dugout where they banged on a trash can.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

I'm not that into baseball. How does sign stealing work? Say a sign is successfully stolen, how does the sign get relayed to the batter in time? 

I didn’t read the article to see how they were picking signs but low tech way is tipping pitch and location but with a runner on second. My guess is via third base coach giving batter signs but I don’t think he was implicated?

I think Hinch and Luhnow both come back. Hinch destroyed the equipment when he found out about it, can’t expect him to rat his players out to MLB. Neither him or Luhnow were complicit. 

Cant fire the players, so these guys take the fall. Luhnow was the best GM in baseball, someone will want his take on their team in 2021.

34 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I didn’t read the article to see how they were picking signs but low tech way is tipping pitch and location but with a runner on second. My guess is via third base coach giving batter signs but I don’t think he was implicated?

No, it was via cameras and then signals relayed to batters. Low tech stealing signs is technically legal to my knowledge... what the Astros (and now the Red Sox) have been implicated in doing isn't legal at all.

35 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Sign stolen from camera, relayed to someone in clubhouse. Person would make noise to indicate certain pitch.

1 minute ago, IanforHeisman said:

I think Hinch and Luhnow both come back. Hinch destroyed the equipment when he found out about it, can’t expect him to rat his players out to MLB. Neither him or Luhnow were complicit. 

Cant fire the players, so these guys take the fall. Luhnow was the best GM in baseball, someone will want his take on their team in 2021.

:lol:

54 minutes ago, Bob said:

Read this Linked article or a better description.......

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/houston-astros-mlb-sign-stealing-allegations-investigation/index.html

12 minutes ago, retrofade said:

No, it was via cameras and then signals relayed to batters. Low tech stealing signs is technically legal to my knowledge... what the Astros (and now the Red Sox) have been implicated in doing isn't legal at all.

A runner on second stealing signs is absolutely legal and part of the game.  The minute a team employs technology to steal signs it’s illegal.

9 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

So is this a new scandal? The commissioner lying to us all? Is there a reason for protecting them and suspending them at the same time?

If you read that report, you'll find that Hinch was aware of the scheme, but did nothing to stop it.

He's every bit as culpable.

I can't see Cora not getting a season ban as well once the Red Sox case is wrapped up. He and Beltran (was player then, now Mets Manager, MLB said they wouldn't punish players for this) were considered the ring leaders of the set up in Houston, and now he's caught up in doing it in Boston too.

9 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

I can't see Cora not getting a season ban as well once the Red Sox case is wrapped up. He and Beltran (was player then, now Mets Manager, MLB said they wouldn't punish players for this) were considered the ring leaders of the set up in Houston, and now he's caught up in doing it in Boston too.

As a Red Sox fan, I hope they throw the book at Cora. I personally feel they should all be banned from the game.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg