Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

RIP Neil Peart. Now Who’s the Best Rock Drummer in the World ?

Who’s the best rock drummer alive. It usually depends on criteria, but his playing was so diverse that he could play other styles. In recent years he went to see a an old drummer guru from some sort of religion and the learned a new style of holding the stick similar to shop sticks. So in a lot of songs when he didn’t hit the drums hard, this technique would just sound way better. It’s controlled almost similar how your finger/hand can make a guitar sound more organic. The guy never stopped trying to learn more and more. 

kat.jpg

10 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

That girl from the White Stripes obviously. 

Say what you will about Meg, but she has an amazingly recognizable style that just plain worked for the stripped down sound of The White Stripes. 

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Say what you will about Meg, but she has an amazingly recognizable style that just plain worked for the stripped down sound of The White Stripes. 

Completely agree, she just isn't a top drummer.  

I would Ringo Start up there for a top drummer still alive though.  Dude was always on point.

4 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Before “climate change” we had “acid rain”.  I loved the reference in this video... 😂 

This was from the mid 80's too!

down in a hole.jpg

Mike Portnoy is the GOAT

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:09 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

Let me guess ... the question is rhetorical and your answer is this guy? 

maxresdefault.jpg

Karen Carpenter of course. You remind me of a nearly perfect douche that’s all rough around the edges like a graph. Something that a left winger would do to when trying to draw a super sensitive libertarian fool like you . 😝😝😝😝😝😝👍

kat.jpg

Did any of you folks make it to New Wave Day at the US Festival in 1983? If so, did you see the performance by drummer Terry Bozzio of Missing Persons? He’s not one of the greats, but I loved his really aggressive playing style. That dude hit the drums hard. 

For the young pups that don’t know what the US Festival was, it was a several day festival with a New Wave Day, A Rock Day, A Heavy Metal Day, a Country day the next weekend.  What made it so unique was that it was so huge. On Heavy Metal Day:, Van Halen,  Scorpions, Triumph, Ozzie Osborne, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot. Sold 375,000 tickets for the show. They collected about 375,000 tickets at the show, but a lot of people were crashing the show for free by jumping the fence, so the attendance isn’t exactly known but it was definitely well into the 400,000’s. IN FVCKING SANE. Definitely more than Woodstock. 

kat.jpg

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

Shit, any drummer who can keep the groove will do. Anything else is just showing off :ph34r:

No, there’s lots of songs that require much more than the basic snare and bass stuff that doesn’t come across as showing off. You must not listen to a lot of rock. It’s even better than those Air Supply drum solos that make you tear up a bit and get emotional. 

kat.jpg