Jump to content
robe

Trump’s economy in election year bad news for Demcrats

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Sweet lord.  

https://deplorapalooza.com/

 

The real mini AOC is going to be there! Get ur tickets now! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The economy is looking pretty good.  Wages are increasing for those on the bottom end.  The left wring their hands because the wealthy are doing even better, but there is nothing that says the poor would do better if somehow things slowed down for the wealthy.

Are there people on the board that actually think the economy is not doing well?  The only thing that worries me is the government deficit spending.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

The economy is looking pretty good.  Wages are increasing for those on the bottom end.  The left wring their hands because the wealthy are doing even better, but there is nothing that says the poor would do better if somehow things slowed down for the wealthy.

Are there people on the board that actually think the economy is not doing well?  The only thing that worries me is the government deficit spending.

I'm concerned about household debt as well as the government deficit.  There is too much debt in the economy.  While the economy statistics say everything is great, healthcare and housing costs continue to increase are a pretty substantial burden to the common person. With all of this debt, I am also concerned how people will ever save for retirement, aside from their meager social security checks.  

If the economy slows down, then what's happens to all this debt as people are laid off?  The American economy runs on people spending money like crazy, so it is a bad cycle to get into.  In "good times" people and the government should be paying down debt for the eventual tough times, not racking it up.  

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

The economy is looking pretty good.  Wages are increasing for those on the bottom end.  The left wring their hands because the wealthy are doing even better, but there is nothing that says the poor would do better if somehow things slowed down for the wealthy.

Are there people on the board that actually think the economy is not doing well?  The only thing that worries me is the government deficit spending.

I can't separate how much the deficit is with how well the economy is doing.  Going in to more debt is not getting a raise.  

Furthermore,  in many areas cost of living is pacing and even outpacing wage growth. That isn't a great economy,  it's stagflation.  That issue framed in that way does not seem to come up much.

Finally, as often stated, we have a big skills gap as to what jobs are open and what skills we have. That's inefficient but is also the issue that can be tackled with a single program.  The other two needholistic and multi level buy in.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I can't separate how much the deficit is with how well the economy is doing.  Going in to more debt is not getting a raise.  

Furthermore,  in many areas cost of living is pacing and even outpacing wage growth. That isn't a great economy,  it's stagflation.  That issue framed in that way does not seem to come up much.

Finally, as often stated, we have a big skills gap as to what jobs are open and what skills we have. That's inefficient but is also the issue that can be tackled with a single program.  The other two needholistic and multi level buy in.

 

I guess the key question for this is where is it happening?  For sure California.  Overall, inflation has been relatively low, so breaking out stagflation is not fair.  The stagflation of the 70s saw inflation while the economy was recessionary, which just isn't the case now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, toonkee said:

Sweet lord.  

https://deplorapalooza.com/

 

Well, it looks like we know where our resident Trumpists are going to be in early March. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BYUcougfan said:

I guess the key question for this is where is it happening?  For sure California.  Overall, inflation has been relatively low, so breaking out stagflation is not fair.  The stagflation of the 70s saw inflation while the economy was recessionary, which just isn't the case now.

I mean, it's effectively localized stagflation, isn't it? Wages growing but cost of living growing more? It just seems like the economy of the country is less ... I don't know the right word or if there is a right word. Less homogeneous, maybe? More decoupled? What I'm trying to get at is we have a few areas that are booming heavy; we have a few areas that are essentially in a recession; we have a few areas with steady growth; and we have a few areas with stagflation. In the '70s it seemed like the country as a whole followed the same economic pattern more closely so a few national level numbers described the economic circumstance better. Today I don't feel like a national average does a very good job of telling us what is going on nationally because no one thing is going on nationally. This was more pronounced around 2014-2015 when cities like Denver, Seattle, NY, LA were booming and everywhere else was flat, making on average a mild recovery. But... nationwide that wasn't what was happening, places were booming or struggling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happycamper said:

I can't separate how much the deficit is with how well the economy is doing.  Going in to more debt is not getting a raise.  

Furthermore,  in many areas cost of living is pacing and even outpacing wage growth. That isn't a great economy,  it's stagflation.  That issue framed in that way does not seem to come up much.

Finally, as often stated, we have a big skills gap as to what jobs are open and what skills we have. That's inefficient but is also the issue that can be tackled with a single program.  The other two needholistic and multi level buy in.

 

You have no clue.  This is a great economy and its not even debatable.  Low skilled manual laborers are making more $ and turning down work, not looking for work. People with skills are job hopping and making more money and the companies they leave are increasing their pay rates to keep people.  I know companies from midwest to south to California that are all short of skilled people - networking, programming, finance, marketing, project mgmt - all kinds of skilled workers and those who do things like carpentry or roofing or plumbing etc. are all raking in the $.  In some areas real estate does cost more than average person can make, but those people are not forced to stay there, they can move out and find work somewhere else if they want to.   
Companies are growing and making money, people are making more money, unemployment has stayed very low.  The world economy is looking to improve too and the trade deal with China is going to help.   
Everything is not perfect by any means  but to try and pretend were in some stagflation and not growing is completely false. 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pokerider said:

You have no clue.  This is a great economy and its not even debatable.  Low skilled manual laborers are making more $ and turning down work, not looking for work. People with skills are job hopping and making more money and the companies they leave are increasing their pay rates to keep people.  I know companies from midwest to south to California that are all short of skilled people - networking, programming, finance, marketing, project mgmt - all kinds of skilled workers and those who do things like carpentry or roofing or plumbing etc. are all raking in the $.  In some areas real estate does cost more than average person can make, but those people are not forced to stay there, they can move out and find work somewhere else if they want to.   
Companies are growing and making money, people are making more money, unemployment has stayed very low.  The world economy is looking to improve too and the trade deal with China is going to help.   
Everything is not perfect by any means  but to try and pretend were in some stagflation and not growing is completely false. 

You literally brought up a point of mine of the economy misfiring. You also missed out on the idea of the cost of living rising faster than wages and of our national deficit credit card fueling most of the boom. 

Seriously, refute my points. A simple "no" isn't doing anything other than showing you like the President so you think the economy is great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, pokerider said:

You have no clue.  This is a great economy and its not even debatable.  Low skilled manual laborers are making more $ and turning down work, not looking for work. People with skills are job hopping and making more money and the companies they leave are increasing their pay rates to keep people.  I know companies from midwest to south to California that are all short of skilled people - networking, programming, finance, marketing, project mgmt - all kinds of skilled workers and those who do things like carpentry or roofing or plumbing etc. are all raking in the $.  In some areas real estate does cost more than average person can make, but those people are not forced to stay there, they can move out and find work somewhere else if they want to.   
Companies are growing and making money, people are making more money, unemployment has stayed very low.  The world economy is looking to improve too and the trade deal with China is going to help.   
Everything is not perfect by any means  but to try and pretend were in some stagflation and not growing is completely false. 

"In the Democratic debate in Los Angeles, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders pushed back against the idea that President Donald Trump can point to a strong economy as he runs for re-election.

"Trump goes around saying the economy is doing great," Sanders said Dec. 19. "You know what real inflation accounted-for wages went up last year? 1.1%. That ain't great."

According to the latest U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers, Sanders is correct. The agency reported that real average hourly earnings were 1.1% higher in November compared with 2018. When people talk about real earnings, they mean how much workers make after taking the cost of living into account. When costs rise, it eats away at the increase people see in their paychecks.

There are other ways to track wage trends. For real median weekly wages for all full-time workers, the rise was 1.3% over the course of the year, again using government data."

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/dec/20/bernie-sanders/bernie-sanders-says-real-wages-rose-11-hes-right/

***********************************************************

Perhaps we need to redefine who the 1%ers are?!?!  Maybe it is just all of those people who only get a 1% raise every year while we shower more and more tax cuts on billionaires!:Clapping::Clapping:  But hey...the stock market is BOOOOOOOOMING....just like in 2007!  Republicanomics debt for a cheap shot of crack from cocaine mitch and dirty donnie!

HAHAHAHHHAHHHAHHAA (in honor of the recent dearly departed LOL)

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, happycamper said:

You literally brought up a point of mine of the economy misfiring. You also missed out on the idea of the cost of living rising faster than wages and of our national deficit credit card fueling most of the boom. 

Seriously, refute my points. A simple "no" isn't doing anything other than showing you like the President so you think the economy is great.

you don't have any points.  You just made several generalizations.  And I don't think the economy is great,  I know its great!  Economic reports are good, unemployment staying very low, inflation is still low, exports set to rise.  And thats not even counting the stock markets which are doing even better.  You can sit and say oh well not every single person is doing well so therefore its not a great economy and the rest of us will just continue to make more money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pokerider said:

you don't have any points.  You just made several generalizations.  And I don't think the economy is great,  I know its great!  Economic reports are good, unemployment staying very low, inflation is still low, exports set to rise.  And thats not even counting the stock markets which are doing even better.  You can sit and say oh well not every single person is doing well so therefore its not a great economy and the rest of us will just continue to make more money. 

I think my criticisms of the current economy are echoes of the criticisms of the economy from 2013-2016 and all that's changed is who is in charge (and how large the deficit is). 

Again, spending 5% more than you make is not getting a raise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pokerider said:

you don't have any points.  

The tools is strong in you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I think my criticisms of the current economy are echoes of the criticisms of the economy from 2013-2016 and all that's changed is who is in charge (and how large the deficit is). 

Again, spending 5% more than you make is not getting a raise.

Getting a good job and then having the ability to get and use a credit card to purchase something like a new TV or a car is not an atypical thing.  Lots of people do things like that, I have.  People have jobs so they can buy things and improve their life.  

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pokerider said:

Getting a good job and then having the ability to get and use a credit card to purchase something like a new TV or a car is not an atypical thing.  Lots of people do things like that, I have.  People have jobs so they can buy things and improve their life.  

Dude. Going in to debt is not getting a raise. Do you understand how this may relate to our economy at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, retrofade said:

Well, it looks like we know where our resident Trumpists are going to be in early March. 

Can't wait to go to the mall to get some pizza and have a bunch of rejects around me that would pay money to see mini AOC and the deplorable choir.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Dude. Going in to debt is not getting a raise. Do you understand how this may relate to our economy at all?

I just spent abut $1000 last week that I put on my credit card. The REASON I did that is because I have a job and will be able to pay that off within a month.  Many people may buy something and just pay $100 a month, and thats perfectly OK too.  Do you understand how credit works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×