Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Trump’s economy in election year bad news for Demcrats

21 hours ago, toonkee said:

The real mini AOC is going to be there! Get ur tickets now! 

TBH, she’s pretty fun

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

57 minutes ago, renoskier said:

So everyone can do this and then everyone will have high paying jobs?

Damn, so easy, why hasn't someone thought of this before? Everyone can be wealthy!

I never made a claim that anyone can be wealthy you fool However, if you take some initiative and improve the value of your labor through education (with a good major not oppressed women's interpretive dance) and experience, and you are a good employee you can (not guaranteed)  do well for yourself and have a comfortable life. If you are still working at Burger King in your 30's you have made some terrible decisions along the way. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

My man. Please, actually read what I posted, and actually respond to what I posted. Otherwise please don't bother responding to me. Blues left, his dickishness isn't a void that needs filled and frankly you haven't demonstrated the life experience or intellectual chops to fill in the other areas we're missing.

"Stop being a low skill worker" is not a macro scale solution in an economy that requires low skill workers...

Stop being a low skill worker is exactly a macro solution to lift people out of poverty and into the middle class and it should be encouraged in society. In order to get middle class income you have to improve the value of your labor through education. I would be all for any govt programs like increasing Pell Grants available to those who can't afford college so they can invest in themselves and earn a better life. Society is better off when people get out of poverty into the comfortable middle class.  Sure, our economy needs low skilled workers but not nearly as much as we used to.  It used to be that any idiot could get a job at the factory and have a comfortable life, today you have to have technical skills to even get an interview. I have included a link to a WSJ journal article regarding this. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/american-factories-demand-white-collar-education-for-blue-collar-work-11575907185?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=2

14 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I never made a claim that anyone can be wealthy you fool However, if you take some initiative and improve the value of your labor through education (with a good major not oppressed women's interpretive dance) and experience, and you are a good employee you can (not guaranteed)  do well for yourself and have a comfortable life. If you are still working at Burger King in your 30's you have made some terrible decisions along the way. 

So not everyone will be able to get a better paying job? We will still need a robust safety net like food stamps?

3 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Stop being a low skill worker is exactly a macro solution to lift people out of poverty and into the middle class and it should be encouraged in society. In order to get middle class income you have to improve the value of your labor through education. I would be all for any govt programs like increasing Pell Grants available to those who can't afford college so they can invest in themselves and earn a better life. Society is better off when people get out of poverty into the comfortable middle class.  Sure, our economy needs low skilled workers but not nearly as much as we used to.  It used to be that any idiot could get a job at the factory and have a comfortable life, today you have to have technical skills to even get an interview. I have included a link to a WSJ journal article regarding this. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/american-factories-demand-white-collar-education-for-blue-collar-work-11575907185?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=2

I mean, you're just posting about what individual people can do. That's all well and good, but these low skill jobs are still going to comprise about the same proportion of the economy. What you're proposing isn't a solution and doesn't really even touch on that problem.

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

So not everyone will be able to get a better paying job? We will still need a robust safety net like food stamps?

Still vastly prefer a UBI. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I mean, you're just posting about what individual people can do. That's all well and good, but these low skill jobs are still going to comprise about the same proportion of the economy. What you're proposing isn't a solution and doesn't really even touch on that probl

Society is made up of individuals and what they do with their lives. I am not sure what you meant here. Low skilled labor is a shrinking segment of the labor force because it is has either been outsourced to other countries, or lost to automation. 

Now skilled workers are in high demand. Policies that help people improve the value of their labor is most certainly a solution. Throwing your hands up in the air and saying there is nothing we can do just get on food stamps is not a solution to improve society. 

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

Society is made up of individuals and what they do with their lives. I am not sure what you meant here. Low skilled labor is a shrinking segment of the labor force because it is has either been outsourced to other countries, or lost to automation. 

Now skilled workers are in high demand. Policies that help people improve the value of their labor is most certainly a solution. Throwing your hands up in the air and saying there is nothing we can do just get on food stamps is not a solution to improve society. 

So...in other words...THOSE COAL MINERS SHOULD BE COME CODERS!:hookah::shots::lol:

Posted Image

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

By your own admission in response to my earlier post you said NOT everyone was going to be able to get high paying jobs. So a lot folks will still need assistance, right?

38 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I never made a claim that anyone can be wealthy you fool

So renoskier's the "fool" yet it's you who has apparently stopped watching Neil Cavuto's show. Yeah, the show with FuxNews Channel's most respected financial guy who has been saying for several months that the Grumpy Trumpy administration's economic reports are smoke and mirrors.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Exactly. The trend lines haven't really changed but according to the many Trump fans here: Obama sucked, Trump's great. :shrug:

@bornontheblue Hey blues, yes you are the new blues, congratulations.

Anyway, what was it about my above post that made it "Hair" worthy? 

Are you saying the trend lines have changed dramatically under Trump?

Or are you saying Obama was okay? Or that Trump isn't okay? 

19 minutes ago, Akkula said:

So...in other words...THOSE COAL MINERS SHOULD BE COME CODERS!:hookah::shots::lol:

OK Genius, I say people can change and update and improve themselves to adapt to the changing economy. What is your solution  - Keep them dependent on welfare, section 8 housing, meth and food stamps. Yeah, that is real good for society. 

5 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

OK Genius, I say people can change and update and improve themselves to adapt to the changing economy. What is your solution  - Keep them dependent on welfare, section 8 housing, meth and food stamps. Yeah, that is real good for society. 

How about we STOP giving massive tax cuts to billionaires... STOP getting into trade agreements that have no labor and environmental standards...START giving paid maternity leave... START funding college more fully again to reduce student loan debt... START funding infrastructure....I can go on if you want....

Just putting your head in the sand and saying "everything is great" if you are struggling it is because god hates you and you are lazy hasn't worked for the last 40 years.  Let's start to slant the deck in favor of all those people who want to work hard instead of billionaires.

Posted Image

9 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

And millions are doing just that. By your own admission, not everyone is going to be able to do so. So millions of folks are still going to need assistance right?

Not to mention that if everyone became an engineer or some other "worthwhile" profession, supply and demand would greatly reduce wages in those fields.

51 minutes ago, Akkula said:

How about we STOP giving massive tax cuts to billionaires... STOP getting into trade agreements that have no labor and environmental standards...START giving paid maternity leave... START funding college more fully again to reduce student loan debt... START funding infrastructure....I can go on if you want....

Just putting your head in the sand and saying "everything is great" if you are struggling it is because god hates you and you are lazy hasn't worked for the last 40 years.  Let's start to slant the deck in favor of all those people who want to work hard instead of billionaires.

You fool ! How is giving a massive tax increase going to help the guy who is trying to get sheas. It won’t ! I’m all for increasing access to college but there has to be strings attached. You can’t major on feminist interpretive dance and science t the rest of society to fund it. What does finding Infrastructure  have to do with helping people get out of poverty??? I’m not against funding infrastructure per se but I don’t think you know what you are talking about. The best way to stack the deck in favor of the little guy is a growing robust economy that produces jobs , and opportunities for people to start sndd as ll businesses. 

I never said poverty was caused by god hearing  you or because people are too lazy. So +++++ you! 

54 minutes ago, renoskier said:

And millions are doing just that. By your own admission, not everyone is going to be able to do so. So millions of folks are still going to need assistance right?

Not to mention that if everyone became an engineer or some other "worthwhile" profession, supply and demand would greatly reduce wages in those fields.

The overwhelming majority of people can improve their lives economically and are very capable of doing so . I have nothing against a safety net either . Why are you implying that I’m against assistance. 

2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

The overwhelming majority of people can improve their lives economically and are very capable of doing so . I have nothing against a safety net either . Why are you implying that I’m against assistance. 

The overwhelming majority of folks do. It's a relatively small minority who are on assistance.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Mug, no. 

Well AOC is such low hanging fruit so it’s not difficult to make fun of her. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater