Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Trump’s economy in election year bad news for Demcrats

3 hours ago, happycamper said:

You literally brought up a point of mine of the economy misfiring. You also missed out on the idea of the cost of living rising faster than wages and of our national deficit credit card fueling most of the boom. 

Seriously, refute my points. A simple "no" isn't doing anything other than showing you like the President so you think the economy is great.

The cost of living has been pretty stable for a while now. In fact a lot of economists fear that inflation is too low and have been frustrated at the lack of success in hitting the Fed's 2% inflation goal 

6 minutes ago, pokerider said:

I just spent abut $1000 last week that I put on my credit card. The REASON I did that is because I have a job and will be able to pay that off within a month.  Many people may buy something and just pay $100 a month, and thats perfectly OK too.  Do you understand how credit works?

Do you understand what I am posting or what an analogy is? Spending 5% more than you make and calling it a raise is not getting a raise. How is this complex to understand? 

4 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

The cost of living has been pretty stable for a while now. In fact a lot of economists fear that inflation is too low and have been frustrated at the lack of success in hitting the Fed's 2% inflation goal 

No. The national cost of living has been. In many areas, which I straight up stated in multiple posts, the cost of living is rising faster than wages.

Seriously just... read what people are saying.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

19 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Do you understand what I am posting or what an analogy is? Spending 5% more than you make and calling it a raise is not getting a raise. How is this complex to understand? 

No. The national cost of living has been. In many areas, which I straight up stated in multiple posts, the cost of living is rising faster than wages.

Seriously just... read what people are saying.

I read what the economists and the Fed are saying, I don't care what some idiot on a message board says.  They are saying that the 2% inflation rate has been a struggle to hit for about 10 years now. Why do you think they have been lowering rates the last few meetings ... to get the inflation rate up to the goal of 2%. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/25/powell-says-the-fed-is-strongly-committed-to-meeting-its-inflation-goal.html

2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I read what the economists and the Fed are saying, I don't care what some idiot on a message board says.  They are saying that the 2% inflation rate has been a struggle to hit for about 10 years now. Why do you think they have been lowering rates the last few meetings ... to get the inflation rate up to the goal of 2%. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/25/powell-says-the-fed-is-strongly-committed-to-meeting-its-inflation-goal.html

So if you aren't going to read what I said or bother to understand it why respond to me? Why be on this message board at all?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 minutes ago, happycamper said:

So if you aren't going to read what I said or bother to understand it why respond to me? Why be on this message board at all?

I will ask the same of you. Do you understand that rising cost of living ie inflation has been pretty moderate, to low that past ten years. I am just refuting your previous claim that cost of living is rapidly increasing. 

25 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I will ask the same of you. Do you understand that rising cost of living ie inflation has been pretty moderate, to low that past ten years. I am just refuting your previous claim that cost of living is rapidly increasing. 

Do you currently live in Boise?  What has happened to the average cost of rent in Boise or the price of home in the last 10 years?

2 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Do you currently live in Boise?  What has happened to the average cost of rent in Boise or the price of home in the last 10 years?

My house payment is less than what I was paying for a crappy two bedroom apartment in Boise 15 years ago. A lot of people have very similar situations. Housing costs are also figured into the inflation rate. 

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

My house payment is less than what I was paying for a crappy two bedroom apartment in Boise 15 years ago. A lot of people have very similar situations. Housing costs are also figured into the inflation rate. 

How long have you owned your home?  I'm assuming you refinanced with today's low rates and have owned your home awhile.  Or put down a substantial down payment.

How much does that same crappy apartment rent for today vs when you rented it?

Just now, Wyobraska said:

How long have you owned your home?  I'm assuming you refinanced with today's low rates and have owned your home awhile.  Or put down a substantial down payment.

I put money down that I saved and have owned it for 15 years. My situation  not unique though. a lot of families own a home with a contractually locked in monthly payment for 15 or 30 years. 

Just now, bornontheblue said:

I put money down that I saved and have owned it for 15 years. My situation  not unique though. a lot of families own a home with a contractually locked in monthly payment for 15 or 30 years. 

There are also a lot of young people who are trying to move out of their parents home and I believe Boise is one of the hottest places to move right now, so those people are buying homes.  You haven't answered the question though.  What has happened to rent or the price of homes in Boise?  Selling price.  

Just now, Wyobraska said:

There are also a lot of young people who are trying to move out of their parents home and I believe Boise is one of the hottest places to move right now, so those people are buying homes.  You haven't answered the question though.  What has happened to rent or the price of homes in Boise?  Selling price.  

Rent and home prices have gone way up in Boise. But so has the wages and salaries for skilled professionals which there are plenty of opportunities for in Boise. Rent is like any other price,  subject to supply and demand , they wouldn't be raising the prices so high if there weren't plenty of people willing and able to pay it. High Rent mostly affects young people and they can do the same thing I did when I was young and couldn't afford my own apartment. Roomates! 

4 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Rent and home prices have gone way up in Boise. But so has the wages and salaries for skilled professionals which there are plenty of opportunities for in Boise. Rent is like any other price,  subject to supply and demand , they wouldn't be raising the prices so high if there weren't plenty of people willing and able to pay it. High Rent mostly affects young people and they can do the same thing I did when I was young and couldn't afford my own apartment. Roomates! 

What's happening to a lot of the low skilled workers there?  

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

I have no idea. Hopefully they are improving there education and job skills so they can take advantage of all the great opportunities available right now. That is what I did. 

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

My man. Please, actually read what I posted, and actually respond to what I posted. Otherwise please don't bother responding to me. Blues left, his dickishness isn't a void that needs filled and frankly you haven't demonstrated the life experience or intellectual chops to fill in the other areas we're missing.

50 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I have no idea. Hopefully they are improving there education and job skills so they can take advantage of all the great opportunities available right now. That is what I did. 

"Stop being a low skill worker" is not a macro scale solution in an economy that requires low skill workers...

Basically, it is still Obama's economy that is sustaining the nation.  GDP and employment have been progressing at almost the same rate as during Obama's second term with just a slight downturn recently during the Trump administration.  But, never mind.  Trump loves to take credit for someone else's work. 

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GDP

On 1/12/2020 at 3:29 PM, Wyobraska said:

Article links 33 other articles and studies. Too much to read for climate change deniers and other Always Trumpers. Must be fake news. Gotta hide away until somebody within The Administration Which Never Lies comes out to cite exactly one self-serving study that we're all doing great 'cause the prez says so. :USFlag:

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

Wages are up all around in Boise.  My dad is a cook, who was working up at the Lochsa Lodge (better area to hunt big foot, near the NF of the Clearwater) and just recently came back down to the "city"  Picked up a job as a cook downtown making $15 plus tips.  When I was a cook in college 10 years ago cook that was an $8.00 an hour job.

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

So everyone can do this and then everyone will have high paying jobs?

Damn, so easy, why hasn't someone thought of this before? Everyone can be wealthy!

22 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

Basically, it is still Obama's economy that is sustaining the nation.  GDP and employment have been progressing at almost the same rate as during Obama's second term with just a slight downturn recently during the Trump administration.  But, never mind.  Trump loves to take credit for someone else's work. 

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GDP

Exactly. The trend lines haven't really changed but according to the many Trump fans here: Obama sucked, Trump's great. :shrug:

32 minutes ago, happycamper said:

"Stop being a low skill worker" is not a macro scale solution in an economy that requires low skill workers...

To be fair that has basically been the prescription from Clinton era all the way through until now.  Biden just put his foot in his mouth telling coal miners to be coders.  :facepalm:

Trump was able to diagnose this problem but his solution was to turn the affected people into a dogfight with one another for his amusement.  Repulbicans know that if they can divide up the masses and make uneducated white men feel "special" and blame the blacks and mexicans the uneducated white men will keep them in control.  

The real issue is that the whole system has been slanted against the regular joe for many years and this is the natural result of trickle down and reckless givaways to the wealthy.  The only way to make it stop is to level the playing field....coal miners aren't going to be coders.  Even if they could that would just drive down the wages of coders and we would be back at square 1!

Posted Image