Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

Arkansas QB Nick Starkel Transferring To San Jose State

3 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

Not trying to make a point here, but... The South to San Jose? When it comes to football, that must've been a huge culture shock there. Considering that College Football Isn't The Biggest Thing Ever in SJ.

Nevertheless I like our chances going forward! Can't wait till we go bowling again!

14 minutes ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

How many years does he have left? Will he be immediately eligible? 

He already transferred from aTm to Ark. So this means, he's a grad transfer and eligible to play immediately. 

4 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

I though the same exact thing. 

16 minutes ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

How many years does he have left? Will he be immediately eligible? 

He's a grad transfer. If he plays in the 2020 season, this would be his final year of eligibility.

EDIT: What @DoubleBlueGold said.

21 minutes ago, Anon5251042 said:

Not trying to make a point here, but... The South to San Jose? When it comes to football, that must've been a huge culture shock there. Considering that College Football Isn't The Biggest Thing Ever in SJ.

Nevertheless I like ouri chances going forward! Can't wait till we go bowling again!

He's originally from Tejas. We've had a few players from Tejas already. SDSU's has had a couple of QBs from Tejas. I think they want to experience Cali. I think, if he's ever been to Austing or San Antonio, there won't be much culture shock. 

10 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

He already transferred from aTm to Ark. So this means, he's a grad transfer and eligible to play immediately. 

What's the depth chart looking like next year?  Do you think he has a shot?  3 schools in 5 years doesn't seem like a great look. 

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

What's the depth chart looking like next year?  Do you think he has a shot?  3 schools in 5 years doesn't seem like a great look. 

Only one QB has significant play-time under his belt. Played for half-the season before being injured and sidelined for the rest of the season. We brought in a JuCo QB last season that went to the state title game, but he didn't crack neither of the top spots. I like the Starkel announcement. Yeah, three schools, but he may as well have transferred to SJSU, or another G5, right after aTm. Going to Ark did him no favors. 

I think the move is fine if it happens, all things considered. Every other QB after Love is either a Sophomore or a Freshman (true or redshirt, depending). This year's backup QB Freshman Nick Nash is already one of the best athletes on the offense, and he played quite well when he got snaps before injury. But I don't see him lasting a full season his sophomore year without experience and a little bit extra weight if they plan on him being the guy at QB eventually. Dude will get knocked around a lot. There are a couple other players at QB that SJSU fans seem to like, but there is little to no experience there.

Starkel brings experience and some talent to a team that seems to have some talent at QB and little experience. He throws a nice ball, and has shown a tendency to make some poor decisions. This offense actually has a lot of weapons coming back... if they can get someone behind center who can get the ball to those weapons at least somewhat consistently, we could see a halfway decent team. My guess is they think they can work with him the way they did with Love between his Jr and Sr seasons, even if I don't think Starkel has a chance to be as accurate as Love's SR season. Worst case scenario, he's an inconsistent backup and this team is in no worse place than they were before he came... or he flames out and doesn't see the field, I suppose. But a grumpy, one-year transfer won't do much if that happens, methinks.  Best case scenario, he fits into the system and wins the starting job. Will have to earn any minutes he gets. This seems low risk, high reward. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.