Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chile_Ute

OT: Streaming service

2 hours ago, Chile_Ute said:

Looking to ditch Direct tv and don’t want Dish. 

Sling vs Hulu, benefit of sling is I can get P12 Network.  Insight would be helpful,  thanks.

Good on ya'. AT&T/ DirecTV has got to be the worst run company in the U.S. They're being sued by their own stockholders and it's just a matter of time for a class action against their shady sales tactics and horrible "customer service". Their CEO had his attorneys send a C&D to a customer who managed to get a customer service complaint directly to his e-mail. When I was dropping them, the customer retention rep I was talking to warned me if I said "attorney general" again, he would hang up on me. I told him I just wanted DirecTV to stop service and stop billing me (I was no longer in contract) and he kept saying, "Look, we're going to get you a good deal," so I said it, he hung up, and I filed complaints with both the BBB and the Wyoming Attorney General's office. I was told I'm in quite a bit of company, but about a week later I finally got confirmation that my account was canceled and closed.

There's talk of ATT selling DirecTV. Hopefully someone who understands how to keep customers busy it.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

YouTube.tv cause you can also get locals. Sling, Hulu, YouTube tv all have strengths and weaknesses. I also have the new Disney channel. With Roku you can add or drop a channel with a simple click of your mouse.  I will say you need decent WiFi. If my family is all on our phones/laptops etc. our network does buffer. 

4 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

YouTube.tv cause you can also get locals. Sling, Hulu, YouTube tv all have strengths and weaknesses. I also have the new Disney channel. With Roku you can add or drop a channel with a simple click of your mouse.  I will say you need decent WiFi. If my family is all on our phones/laptops etc. our network does buffer. 

That’s my concern limited speed where I live and no option to increase.  Best I can do is 12

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

5 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

That’s my concern limited speed where I live and no option to increase.  Best I can do is 12

Youtube TV.  You can try it free for 2 weeks.  You can have 6 unique accounts on the same subscription, each with unlimited cloud DVR space.  12 is going to be tough to stream HD if there are multiple users on the system, but like I said, it's free to test.

4 minutes ago, SJ PRIDE said:

Youtube TV.  You can try it free for 2 weeks.  You can have 6 unique accounts on the same subscription, each with unlimited cloud DVR space.  12 is going to be tough to stream HD if there are multiple users on the system, but like I said, it's free to test.

Thanks...dad May need to institute no devices while the game is on....

1 minute ago, Chile_Ute said:

Thanks...dad May need to institute no devices while the game is on....

That was part of our conversation when I finally caved.  Kids had been asking for faster internet and I justified the price increase by kicking Directv to the curb, and the caveat that there may be certain times they have to get off the web.  As long as I get 6 to the Roku I am happy with the picture.  There is a setting called "Stats for Nerds" that you can turn on to see exactly how much bandwidth it is pulling.

4 hours ago, Chile_Ute said:

We have 12 and it works for two TVs and phones going at the same time. We have Hulu but have used every steaming option out there except Fubo. Sling uses only 1.5 to 2.5  so you won't get buffering but no locals and picture quality is not as good as the others. I really like Youtube TV and may switch back to it after I try out this new one called Vidgo. Vidgo had P12 on it. Fubo  is the other one that has P12. No P12 on YTTV or Hulu.

Sling $30 or $45 no locals pay for DVR

Hulu $55 locals 50 hrs DVR

YouTube TV $50 locals unlimited DVR

Fubo $55 locals 30 hrs DVR

Vidgo $40 Fox; ABC if your area has market. All markets to have ABC by end year. DVR coming later this year.

They all have free trials so you can check what you like before paying for thr month.

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

We have 12 and it works for two TVs and phones going at the same time. We have Hulu but have used every steaming option out there except Fubo. Sling uses only 1.5 to 2.5  so you won't get buffering but no locals and picture quality is not as good as the others. I really like Youtube TV and may switch back to it after I try out this new one called Vidgo. Vidgo had P12 on it. Fubo  is the other one that has P12. No P12 on YTTV or Hulu.

Sling $30 or $45 no locals pay for DVR

Hulu $55 locals 50 hrs DVR

YouTube TV $50 locals unlimited DVR

Fubo $55 locals 30 hrs DVR

Vidgo $40 Fox; ABC if your area has market. All markets to have ABC by end year. DVR coming later this year.

They all have free trials so you can check what you like before paying for thr month.

Fubo or Sling I think...went to Best Buy waiting for fight club and ended up buying Roku device.  Using the Hulu free week to test, but so far, pretty good and quality isn’t shitty enough for the extra money to keep Direct IMO.

20 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

I like Hulu, but it's getting more expensive Just went up another $10/month. Streaming services are getting frustrating.

Yea the price has increased enough that it’s gotten to the point now where I only subscribe to live streaming services during college football season and cancel as soon as it’s done. 

11 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea the price has increased enough that it’s gotten to the point now where I only subscribe to live streaming services during college football season and cancel as soon as it’s done. 

Ditto. That's my plan. And it's why I was kind of hoping we got a mostly ESPN + TV deal. Because $5.99 to watch most games is a steal. But I'll probably subscribe to Hulu or maybe Sling once football starts again.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:44 PM, Chile_Ute said:

I wouldn’t worry to much about that. I has the slowest speed offered by centurylink  (i live in the boonies), and i can stream youtubetv, hbo now, and amazon prime, just fine... as i did with huku and sling orange.

i went with YouTubeTV because I get local channels, and all the spots channels that will be showing mwc games. Fox 1/2, nbcsn, cbssn,, all the espn channels and a few others. 53 bucks a month with taxes.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

3 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

Ditto. That's my plan. And it's why I was kind of hoping we got a mostly ESPN + TV deal. Because $5.99 to watch most games is a steal. But I'll probably subscribe to Hulu or maybe Sling once football starts again.

What sucks is that CBS All Access is like $10 a month.  I wonder if they put more games on that or just do Stadium/MWCDN.  I doubt they would do ESPN+ now, but it still might be kind of nice.  At least you get a lot of other football with it.  

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

What sucks is that CBS All Access is like $10 a month.  I wonder if they put more games on that or just do Stadium/MWCDN.  I doubt they would do ESPN+ now, but it still might be kind of nice.  At least you get a lot of other football with it.  

CBS All Access is only $10/month if you do no commercials (which doesn't apply to live sports anyway). I actually just subscribed to watch Star Trek, and it's $5.99. Not a bad deal, but I haven't used it for sports, yet. But it is supposed to have CBSSN.

Agreed on ESPN+.  There's a ton of football on it. It' actually quite nice.

Hulu Live with “no commercials” is what we have had for a while and the price has gone up and I see a hell of a lot of commercials, so I am going to cancel it right after the Super Bowl. 

But I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you need the PAC 12 channel right? Your options are pretty limited to whoever carries that. I don’t believe Hulu does but I may be mistaken.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

@Chile_Ute I have Spectrum Cable which offers the PAC 12 Network. I don't know if Spectrum is available where you live, you should check 'em out. They offer a bundle package (TV, internet and phone for 100 bucks a month). And there's no subscription committment, you can cancel at any time. 

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Hulu Live with “no commercials” is what we have had for a while and the price has gone up and I see a hell of a lot of commercials, so I am going to cancel it right after the Super Bowl.

I can't believe that Hulu gets away with a monthly subscription AND commercials.  +++++ that.  People should boycott that shit