modestobulldog

Game Thread: Impeachment Trial

I'm surprised @#1Stunnerisn't in here clamoring for witnesses to testify at the trial. There are a lot of people that we would need to  hear from if this was a criminal trial. I think they should call Lev, Rudi, Bolton and probably more. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

We finally got Ukraine to investigate something. Interesting that Ukraine is investigating actions against our ambassador before our own state department. 

I don’t know why they didn’t just fire her. An ambassador serves at the pleasure of the President and can be removed from their post at the President’s discretion. 

8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I don’t know why they didn’t just fire her. An ambassador serves at the pleasure of the President and can be removed from their post at the President’s discretion. 

Yeah, and it looks like that's what they(Parnas, Hyde, shokin) were wondering too which led them to "discuss" other options and surveil her.

Shokin really didn't like her and wanted her removed(it appears her push to crackdown on corruption bothered him). Shokin was allied with zelenskis opponent and if he had won I think the ambassador would ha e been fired and we would have gotten the investigation into Biden Trump wanted. But instead Zelenski won and they had to come up with another plan and here we are. 

At least that is my amateur read of the situation after looking at the documents. 

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Yeah, and it looks like that's what they(Parnas, Hyde, shokin) were wondering too which led them to "discuss" other options and surveil her.

Shokin really didn't like her and wanted her removed(it appears her push to crackdown on corruption bothered him). Shokin was allied with zelenskis opponent and if he had won I think the ambassador would ha e been fired and we would have gotten the investigation into Biden Trump wanted. But instead Zelenski won and they had to come up with another plan and here we are. 

At least that is my amateur read of the situation after looking at the documents. 

Listening to the interview it sounds like Parnas dismissed Hyde as being crazy. He said he never discussed any of the “other” options with Hyde. 

11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The appearance is that Trump and Barr may have been dangling leniency to extradition to the oligarch Firtash in exchange for dirt on Biden too and the elimination of Yanakovich.  It also appears that Yanakovich getting fired was made contingent on getting dirt from the corrupt former prosecutor of Ukraine.  I guess this guy hated Yanokovich and wanted her removed.  I am guessing people are going to be pulling on those strings a little more.

We may see articles of impeachment against Barr and Pence soon.  Maybe then the house will "finish its job!"   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Listening to the interview it sounds like Parnas dismissed Hyde as being crazy. He said he never discussed any of the “other” options with Hyde. 

Well as Ukraine has stated that is a violation of international law.  Parnas could be trying to save his own ass.

Funny thing. Nothing on this interview on CNN but Fox ran with it.

9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yeah that's why I had discussed in quotes. Not sure what was serious or not but they ha e the what's app conversations. 

As akkula stated I think they were slow playing her dismal to get the dirt from shokin and he was getting anxious to get rid of her. I'm guessing she was making business harder for him and Parnas and their associates but that's just my guess. 

30 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Yeah that's why I had discussed in quotes. Not sure what was serious or not but they ha e the what's app conversations. 

As akkula stated I think they were slow playing her dismal to get the dirt from shokin and he was getting anxious to get rid of her. I'm guessing she was making business harder for him and Parnas and their associates but that's just my guess. 

Sounds like a plan to me. I also love how international baddies communicate on what's app. I get that it's encrypted and all, but the name is so silly.

49 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Sounds like a plan to me. I also love how international baddies communicate on what's app. I get that it's encrypted and all, but the name is so silly.

Telegram would be a far superior alternative... but hey, these people are idiots.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:49 AM, mugtang said:

Having Schiff, who claimed evidence of Russian collusion for 2 years, shows this is all a joke and about politics and not anything the president did wrong.  

No. It shows they want to make their best case that Mr. Grumpy should be impeached.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Trump will be removed from office so this is all about two things. One, persuading the 20% of the electorate who are in the middle to all reject maybe the worst president ever come November. And two, history. This isn't some minor trial which people will forget about several months after the verdict. It's a proceeding which will be studied for hundreds of years and as sactownguy said the other day, the entirety of the evidence which has come out shows that Trump is "guilty as sin." So in order to maximize the chances of all such evidence being brought forward, she needs her power hitters to go to bat and whatever you may think of Schiff as a person, as prosecutors go, he's Barry Bonds.

13 hours ago, toonkee said:

It's almost like Trump surrounds himself with such low grade characters for the plausible deniability. Or maybe it's just the best he can do and this is a beneficial side effect.

You give Mr. Grumpy too much credit. He simply wants to surround himself with yes men. (And occasionally a yes woman.)

• Cheers 1

Is there a tractor pull or gun show in town or something?  Where are these people?:rimshot1:

• Haha 1

New poll question: Whose combover is the worst? Trump's or John Roberts?

2 hours ago, Akkula said:

The appearance is that Trump and Barr may have been dangling leniency to extradition to the oligarch Firtash in exchange for dirt on Biden too and the elimination of Yanakovich.  It also appears that Yanakovich getting fired was made contingent on getting dirt from the corrupt former prosecutor of Ukraine.  I guess this guy hated Yanokovich and wanted her removed.  I am guessing people are going to be pulling on those strings a little more.

We may see articles of impeachment against Barr and Pence soon.  Maybe then the house will "finish its job!"   

Oh please please let the House impeach Pence and Barr too.  That would be pure gold!  

32 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

No. It shows they want to make their best case that Mr. Grumpy should be impeached.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Trump will be removed from office so this is all about two things. One, persuading the 20% of the electorate who are in the middle to all reject maybe the worst president ever come November. And two, history. This isn't some minor trial which people will forget about several months after the verdict. It's a proceeding which will be studied for hundreds of years and as sactownguy said the other day, the entirety of the evidence which has come out shows that Trump is "guilty as sin." So in order to maximize the chances of all such evidence being brought forward, she needs her power hitters to go to bat and whatever you may think of Schiff as a person, as prosecutors go, he's Barry Bonds.

Lmfao so this isn’t about protecting the constitution or just good people doing the right thing. Thanks for saying the quiet part out loud.

As far as history goes, why was Andrew Johnson impeached again, and why wasn’t he removed?