Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Game Thread: Impeachment Trial

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Less that 100,000 votes across 3 states decided the last election decisively, when only one is all it took. Giving an almost complete unknown potential 3rd party candidate the juice of hours of prime tv recognition when he’s the rep in one of those states would be leadership malpractice.

Also, there's a chance Amash is voted out in 2020..........his district leans R and if they are hard core trumper, then Amash just rained on their parade by calling out trump - If the voters in his district see him as anti-trump does he even get re-elected in a three way race (I-D-R) 

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I don’t think that’s true at all. The GOP is much more firmly behind Trump than they were 4 years ago. Amash would be pulling far more Trump opposed voters than Trump leaning ones. The Democrats are about to fracture hard for the next 6 months. An Amash candidacy if he were the impeachment manager would stand a much better chance of pulling disaffected democrats. We’re only talking a few thousand votes deciding some of these house races. It doesn’t take much to tip the scales.

I'd be interested in an example of one election wherein a libertarian candidate pulled far more democratic voters than GOP voters. The fact is that the people in the GOP who either didn't support Trump or who held their noses and voted for him included a huge chunk libertarian-leaning conservatives. I would put money on the unity behind Trump in the GOP on being to some extent a combination of antipathy for Democrats, attrition from those who like many I know are actual conservatives and thus are not going to be in a Trumpist party and reactionary self-loathing over their own faustian bargain. That's not a recipe for high turnout, and lack of interest in a handful of districts essentially won Trump the election. If this election is going to ultimately be about turnout, then I would put money on an Amash run pulling more GOP voters than Dems... especially since the moderate Dems who actually may be drawn in by a libertarian candidate are the ones who seem to better understand the stakes of the upcoming election (thus, are behind biden). 

Now, how would that translate to House seats? I dunno, that's a good question. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

27 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Dems already have two Independent Senators who caucus with Democrats - Sanders VT & King ME - 

It might come down to where would Amash fit between the two parties and would he caucus with on - Can't see him caucusing with R's as he's left them........and D's might not be an option, though he could be a centrist D like Joe Mancin is as senator (WV) 

But overall I don't see Amash as a national threat to either party 

I think we’re talking past each other here. I’m talking about an Amash Libertarian presidential run, sparked by the notoriety of having the media slobbering him for weeks being the “one sane non-partisan.” As far as congress goes, I’m with you. Amash is almost certainly done for now there. But as a rebel candidate leading a rebel party in the Presidential race?

Clinton lost Michigan by less than 11,000 votes. Dumbass unknown Gary Johnson won 170,000 votes there. You can’t tell me an Amash candidacy off the back of impeachment wouldn’t be a real concern.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I think we’re talking past each other here. I’m talking about an Amash Libertarian presidential run, sparked by the notoriety of having the media slobbering him for weeks being the “one sane non-partisan.” As far as congress goes, I’m with you. Amash is almost certainly done for now there. But as a rebel candidate leading a rebel party in the Presidential race?

Clinton lost Michigan by less than 11,000 votes. Dumbass unknown Gary Johnson won 170,000 votes there. You can’t tell me an Amash candidacy off the back of impeachment wouldn’t be a real concern.

I don't think him on a libertarian ticket moves the national needle much, but it could pull enough votes from trump in Michigan that he cuts into the trump vote total which could make Michigan even more interesting if he was to run in 2020 which he isn't ...........beyond 2020 he's still do pull more from the republican candidate (Ivanka) than the dem 

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/masochist

Your sex life must really be good. Ive heard of a lot of kinky things to get off on, but politics? 

Da phuck?

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, tspoke said:

OK, and? He seems to have grown up to do pretty well for himself. 

Can't argue his points so you call him a pencil neck loser. 

I don't care for schiff one way or the other but that was a good closing argument. Even someone who I bet doesn't agree with schiff much(Amash) thinks so. 

Lindsey Graham to Schiff as the two passed each other in the hallway last night: "Good job. Very well spoken."

Per Sarah Wire and Chris Megerian of the L.A. Times (of course, if it didn't come from FuxNews, it didn't happen :USFlag:)

Boom goes the dynamite.

Interesting,  just sat on the plane next to an older German women.  I glanced at the news and commented not sure why the Senate had a trial as their minds were made up.   She agreed then paused and stated “We were forced to study Hitler in school.   You would be shocked how much similarity exists between Trump and Hitler.”   She then listed a number of items:  a looseness with the Truth, demanding absolute loyalty and savagely attacking those who don’t show it, cleansing the party of opponents, high appeal to patriotism, a defining of scapegoats, a belief the constitutional rules don’t apply.   

she said of course none of it means the US will follow the same path but for her the similarities were striking.  

Trump said that he doesn't know Parnas, this audio conversation proves otherwise.

Naw, Trump has said repeatedly that he didn't know Parnas, that he had never spoken with Parnas and that Parnas would simply show up at group gatherings where people would get their picture taken with Trump. So it's all just fake news like everything negative which has ever been brought out against Trump.:fish:

I've often wondered how an educationally lazy and intellectually challenged guy like Trump could have been so successful in business. That millions of people actually believe a story like that pretty much explains why.

Speaking of which, it now also occurs to me that this Senate trial is good for the president in at least one way. That is, to educate him about early American history about which he clearly knew next to nothing or he couldn't possibly have thought the July 25 telephone conversation was "perfect."

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

He’s a very stupid stable genius? :shrug: That’s not news but it’s not clear to me he understands even now he could have just fired her.

The soul selling required to carry this guy's water is off the charts, and for what in the end?

All the P.T Barnum references will eventually be replaced by Trump ones. 

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The soul selling required to carry this guy's water is off the charts, and for what in the end?

All the P.T Barnum references will eventually be replaced by Trump ones. 

Oh I don’t know, in 6 months everyone will be Bernie bros. The politicians don’t seem to adjust to us, we will have to adjust to them.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Oh I don’t know, in 6 months everyone will be Bernie bros. The politicians don’t seem to adjust to us, we will have to adjust to them.

I fully realize Bernie and Trump are actually born of the same anti-establishment populism, and for the record am very nervous about a possibility of a Sanders presidency with a dem controlled congress, however the nose holding required to defend Trump is orders of magnitude beyond Bernie, or anything typically partisan. Trump's digustingness, incompetence and lying, to this level, are not normal in the presidency. 

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

I fully realize Bernie and Trump are actually born of the same anti-establishment populism, and for the record am very nervous about a possibility of a Sanders presidency with a dem controlled congress, however the nose holding required to defend Trump is orders of magnitude beyond Bernie, or anything typically partisan. Trump's digustingness, incompetence and lying, to this level, are not normal in the presidency. 

Well if it’s any consolation from one who argued endlessly and tirelessly 4 years ago against the awfulness of Trump, we did pretty okay all things considered. The jackboots did not shut down the free press, despite how the media made their best argument in favor of why that was almost reasonable. We did not nuke the world starting with California. Civil war did not erupt. The republic survived, as will conservatism in a slightly altered form. The fourth Reich did not destroy us. I see no reason to believe the new and improved Lenin will be much different. Bread lines will not be a thing. Gulags won’t be a thing (unless I get my way with 125,000 new ones).

If the country wants idiots, well we deserve to get them good an hard. Liberal democracy at its best.