Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Game Thread: Impeachment Trial

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

What evidence? They're not allowing any. How do you hold a 'trial' without allowing evidence or witnesses?

it is indeed an absolute joke.

It's also hilarious.

How could the Repubs REALLY screw the Dems? Agree to allow only Bolton to testify. Bolton may hate Mr. Grumpy but speculation is that the guy would like to run for the Senate. How in the world could he get elected if he trashed Trump in his testimony? I'm not saying Bolton would lie under oath but I think HE'S so sleezy he would color his testimony to make it this:

nothingburger-cartoon-598.jpg

Instead, Moscow Midnight Mitch and his cronies aren't going to allow anybody to testify unless the Dems agree to Hunter Biden and that isn't in the cards. So HISTORY - which is what is going to matter - will record that the Repubs refused to allow the testimony of a witness who is clearly relevant to the proceedings because the QUID PRO QUO for so doing was the Dems needing to agree to the testimony of someone who knows nothing about the Ukraine $400M deal.

Boom goes the dynamite.

39 minutes ago, toonkee said:

No, it is not the job of the defense to do the prosecutors job but this also is not a real trial and only lightly resembles any real court proceeding.  The judge doesn't do anything about admitting evidence, issuing rules or subpoenas and the "trial" is literally run by the defense. An actual court would also allow new witnesses or evidence deemed relevant to the truth to be brought forth after initial discovery. 

The case was made well enough to convince you he did it right? You've said what he did was impeachable. The senate also has the power to do the right thing independent of the house. I'm not going to let them off the hook for that because they can win the case in my brain on procedural grounds.

The Judge is not Roberts. The judge is the Senator’s, who are also the jury. And in their collective “wisdom” they will decide the matters of rules and admittance.

My convincing was that I read the transcript and saw enough subsequent evidence to conclude this is exactly something Trump would, and did, do. That doesn’t mean I think the unprecedented step of removal from office is the appropriate course. The months long stagnation in the polls show that the country certainly wasn’t convinced of this.  Nothing since October has moved the needle much. Had public opinion shifted more towards removal I’d be more inclined. But as things sit it would be the worst of all possible outcomes to inflict that on the country when they very clearly do not broadly agree that’s not what should happen. He’s guilty, but not all indiscretions are deserving of the capital punishment available.

Might Bolton or Mulvaney or Guiliani have painted things in a different light? Maybe, maybe not. It sure would be a hell of a lot better if the House thought so. It would be great to have a bunch of precedent rulings on matters concerning privilege that would help speed things along even further in future impeachment proceedings, especially considering the repercussions that may arise from this acquittal. We played stupid games and now we’re winning stupid prizes. I said every step of the way this thing was a joke, don’t blame me for laughing at the punchline everyone knew was coming.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

There's nothing preventing Mitch and his Band of Merry Men from privately proposing to the Dems that they all agree to censure the president.

Except their own lack of the requisite guts to do anything other than licking Mr. Grumpy's boots.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The Judge is not Roberts. The judge is the Senator’s, who are also the jury. And in their collective “wisdom” they will decide the matters of rules and admittance.

My convincing was that I read the transcript and saw enough subsequent evidence to conclude this is exactly something Trump would, and did, do. That doesn’t mean I think the unprecedented step of removal from office is the appropriate course. The months long stagnation in the polls show that the country certainly wasn’t convinced of this.  Nothing since October has moved the needle much. Had public opinion shifted more towards removal I’d be more inclined. But as things sit it would be the worst of all possible outcomes to inflict that on the country when they very clearly do not broadly agree that’s not what should happen. He’s guilty, but not all indiscretions are deserving of the capital punishment available.

Might Bolton or Mulvaney or Guiliani have painted things in a different light? Maybe, maybe not. It sure would be a hell of a lot better if the House thought so. It would be great to have a bunch of precedent rulings on matters concerning privilege that would help speed things along even further in future impeachment proceedings, especially considering the repercussions that may arise from this acquittal. We played stupid games and now we’re winning stupid prizes. I said every step of the way this thing was a joke, don’t blame me for laughing at the punchline everyone knew was coming.

Bolton will eventually tell his story. More information will come out through FOIA requests. Nearly 70% of people polled want the Senate to call witnesses. If what comes out after the fact is as damning as most people think it will be, history won’t be kind to this iteration of the Republican Party. 

13 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Bolton will eventually tell his story. More information will come out through FOIA requests. Nearly 70% of people polled want the Senate to call witnesses. If what comes out after the fact is as damning as most people think it will be, history won’t be kind to this iteration of the Republican Party. 

The John Bolton, soon to be hero of the resistance, fable never ceases to amuse. What’s he gonna say? “Rudy is an idiot and I wasn’t involved.” 

This board is among the .1% of the population that most follows politics in depth. Yet nobody is watching this, nobody cares. In 2 weeks we’ll be knee deep in the Super Bowl, primaries, state of the union, debates; and this will all be forgotten. History will remember this almost less than we will.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

There's nothing preventing Mitch and his Band of Merry Men from privately proposing to the Dems that they all agree to censure the president.

Except their own lack of the requisite guts to do anything other than licking Mr. Grumpy's boots.

yeah when hell freezes over, they're trying to save their own re election ass

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

It's also hilarious.

How could the Repubs REALLY screw the Dems? Agree to allow only Bolton to testify. Bolton may hate Mr. Grumpy but speculation is that the guy would like to run for the Senate. How in the world could he get elected if he trashed Trump in his testimony? I'm not saying Bolton would lie under oath but I think HE'S so sleezy he would color his testimony to make it this:

nothingburger-cartoon-598.jpg

Instead, Moscow Midnight Mitch and his cronies aren't going to allow anybody to testify unless the Dems agree to Hunter Biden and that isn't in the cards. So HISTORY - which is what is going to matter - will record that the Repubs refused to allow the testimony of a witness who is clearly relevant to the proceedings because the QUID PRO QUO for so doing was the Dems needing to agree to the testimony of someone who knows nothing about the Ukraine $400M deal.

Bingo, all this noise about Bolton a massive right wing war hawk testifying to bury Trump is nonsense.

20 minutes ago, Rocket said:

Bingo, all this noise about Bolton a massive right wing war hawk testifying to bury Trump is nonsense.

And to paraphrase TheNevadaFan, history will ultimately be unkind to this iteration of the Republican Party.

Millions of Americans will say Trump is innocent of the charges against him because they are members of Mr. Grumpy's base. Millions more will say his guilt wasn't proved because they didn't have the time or patience to educate themselves about the facts. Thousands more who want to engage in the type of jury nullification that befitted the OJ Simpson criminal trial will say the same. However, nobody with a modicum of objectivity who has paid attention to the facts as laid out by the Dems this week will think the guy is anything except Guilty as Sin.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I don’t even see the hardcore Trumptards here claim he’s innocent.. But they’ll justify any criminal activity because they’ve been listening to Fox News tell them for 10 years that Dems will go door to door taking your guns and making your  wives sleep with brown men.

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The John Bolton, soon to be hero of the resistance, fable never ceases to amuse. What’s he gonna say? “Rudy is an idiot and I wasn’t involved.” 

This board is among the .1% of the population that most follows politics in depth. Yet nobody is watching this, nobody cares. In 2 weeks we’ll be knee deep in the Super Bowl, primaries, state of the union, debates; and this will all be forgotten. History will remember this almost less than we will.

You're right that John Bolton won't change a thing. But you're wrong to suggest that history will forget any of this. You may want that to be true, but it isn't.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, Rocket said:

Is that an invitation?

Expression of disappointment 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, Rocket said:

I heard Trump was in Switzerland while his trial is ongoing. What's he doing there? Guarding cash registers?

Checking on his Swiss bank accts and looking for a safe haven when he is comvicted ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

58 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Checking on his Swiss bank accts and looking for a safe haven when he is comvicted ?

That's all he's ever been about, saving his own ass. +++++ everyone else.

5 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

I don’t even see the hardcore Trumptards here claim he’s innocent.. But they’ll justify any criminal activity because they’ve been listening to Fox News tell them for 10 years that Dems will go door to door taking your guns and making your  wives sleep with brown men.

The state of Virginia is already starting the process to take people guns. So yes, there is a lot to fear about the Dems regaining power.