Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Game Thread: Impeachment Trial

Multi-instrumentalist Jay Sekulow, of the Jay Sekulow Band, is making the argument that most presidents also do shady stuff.

OMG he is terrible.  He's worse than Castor. 

Just now, toonkee said:

Multi-instrumentalist Jay Sekulow, of the Jay Sekulow Band, is making the argument that most presidents also do shady stuff.

Jay must mwcboard

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

the echo chamber is spreading a 50/50 narrative.

12 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Ok. There’s no way Obama didn’t know about that. But you’re right, I don’t have any hard evidence of that. 

I just think sometimes people are like, "well they are all crooks" but sometimes that is a kind of a low information voter jedi mind trick.  It requires people who don't really pay a lot of attention.  

If you look at some of the biggest scandals of all the recent past presidencies:

• IRS Targeting
  • WMD False Information
  • Iran Contra

It seems that either the actual president wasn't involved and elements of the administration got ahead of themselves or things just evolved in a messy way or perhaps the president throught they were doing the "right" thing but it ended up being a mistake.  There are very few examples of situations where the president just went out there and knowingly committed a corupt act for his own personal benefit and was caught red handed. 

Only Nixon and Trump can really claim that distinction and both of them were using their power to try to rig an election.  By just waiving the behavior away and sayings it isn't a big deal because "everyone is doing it" kind of provides cover for Trump.  Since I know you aren't a Trumpist I know that isn't your intent.  I just ask you to look at the evidence and consider how Republicans would act if the shoe were on the other foot.  Would they want no witnesses?  Would they think it was a perfect call?  If you try to put yourself in that mindset of fair mindedness I think you would probably say that Trump committed an impeachable offense, it was a VERY big deal, and he deserves to be removed from office.

Posted Image

18 minutes ago, toonkee said:

OMG he is terrible.  He's worse than Castor. 

Yeah, that is the prevailing theme around these days.  All presidents act like scumbags for their own personal benefit.

Posted Image

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Actually the House held Holder in contempt of Congress.  But that was in relation to fast and furious.  I'm not sure if Holder was involved at all in the IRS targeting issue. 

You are correct, the IRS is treasury.  Regardless, like Holder, Lynch should have been forced to testify and then you work your way up.   

5 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Agreed.

The YBU fan was in error in saying we non-Repubs didn't think this process was partisan. I've said all along it has been motivated in part by politics but that the Dems have also been doing what is right or as smalltowndog put it, that Trump is "guilty as sin" of committing high crimes and misdemeanors and needs to be held to account. However, by being impatient and not going to court to compel compliance with subpoenas issued to All the President's Men prior to bringing articles of impeachment, the House Dems effed up the process. History will look very badly on Donald Trump but it won't be very favorable to Nancy Pelosi either.

What is right? Lol. The Democrat’s just spent two and a half years trying to get Trump thrown out of office on a bogus investigation. It has nothing to do with right, it’s 100% politics. They are planning their next scam investigation that will go nowhere as we speak. 

:lol:Did somebody ask for a score card?

Trump associates who have been sent to prison or faced criminal charges

"Rep. Chris Collins, R-N.Y., the congressman who was once the first to stand up and endorse then-candidate Trump during the 2016 election, was sentenced to two years and two months in federal prison on Friday."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-associates-prison-faced-criminal-charges/story?id=68358219

54 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

You are correct, the IRS is treasury.  Regardless, like Holder, Lynch should have been forced to testify and then you work your way up.   

She did testify. She plead the fifth. Then what?

Edit: I meant Lerner testified. Lynch wasn’t involved.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

For the record, Hannity is a hack.

Thank you.

He's the most piss poor excuse for a journalist that I can think of.

Well, then there's Alex Jones . . .

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Idaho representing...

From the story

"The Senate rejected three Democratic amendments to subpoena documents and other records from the White House, State Department and Office of Management and Budget related to the Ukraine probe. The White House stonewalled requests for those records by House investigators during their inquiry. Each amendment was tabled on a 53-to-47 party-line vote"

He's smart he knows this shitshow is bs.

3 hours ago, Rocket said:

From the story

"The Senate rejected three Democratic amendments to subpoena documents and other records from the White House, State Department and Office of Management and Budget related to the Ukraine probe. The White House stonewalled requests for those records by House investigators during their inquiry. Each amendment was tabled on a 53-to-47 party-line vote"

Whitewash Mitch and the Republicans are not disappointing.  +++++ing joke.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/22/mcconnell-trump-impeachment-trial-101681

143-FAD3-F-13-B8-4-FB4-A455-7-A88-A5-A17

In the organizing resolution he released on Monday night, McConnell had called for allowing only two days for House managers to present their case against the president, raising the specter of exhausted senators sitting in the chamber until well after midnight. Democrats also charged McConnell with trying to bury the trial in the dead of night, long past when most Americans would have stopped watching.

But a few key Republican senators objected, and McConnell agreed to allow three days — 24 hours in floor time total — for both the House managers and Trump’s defense team to present their opening arguments. The organizing resolution was also revised Tuesday so that the House’s evidence is allowed to be used in the Senate trial, although Trump’s lawyers will still be able to challenge what’s allowed under consideration by senators.

Lmfao that headline. These senators already hate this charade. But do please, keep sitting an extra day if only for 8 instead of 12 hours.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

12 hours ago, Rocket said:

From the story

I don't pretend to know all of the rules.  Were they not allowed to ask for these things during the House impeachment investigation?

7 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I don't pretend to know all of the rules.  Were they not allowed to ask for these things during the House impeachment investigation?

The House asked for those things during their investigation, and the White House stonewalled. 

6 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

Maybe shut off fox news.  The Democrats subpoenaed many, many, documents and witnesses.  The white house refused ALL congressional subpoenas for EVERY inquiry for anything.  That is why he is facing obstruction of justice.  He never asserted executive privilege at that time and still has not.  Furthermore, executive privlege doesn't allow a blanket coverup and the witness still should appear and assert the privlege to specific questions.  It cannot be used to coverup a crime.

The senate process is a farce.

Posted Image

14 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Maybe shut off fox news.  The Democrats subpoenaed many, many, documents and witnesses.  The white house refused ALL congressional subpoenas for EVERY inquiry for anything.  That is why he is facing obstruction of justice.  He never asserted executive privilege at that time and still has not.  Furthermore, executive privlege doesn't allow a blanket coverup and the witness still should appear and assert the privlege to specific questions.  It cannot be used to coverup a crime.

The senate process is a farce.

“Obstruction of Congress,” not justice. They skipped the courts, remember?