Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Game Thread: Impeachment Trial

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Still making the divisive racists comments I see. And you accuse Trump of being racist, but don’t see it in yourself.

Let’s see, prison population by race 

Black 37.6%
Hispanic 32.0%
Native Amer 2.3%
Asian 1.5%

that totals 74.3% so it is hardly a stretch, divisive or racists to point out 3/4 likelihood those prisoners are a person of color while the Republican Party is an equally high percent white male.   

but I will agree Trump is doing his best to narrow the gap! 

On 1/17/2020 at 6:25 PM, Rebelbacker said:

Lev Parnas is the Michael Cohen of Michael Avenatti. 

It's hilarious to watch you guys lap all this up. You never learn. 

I love the new star witness .... a guy headed to jail whose bombshell testimony is second hand info that Trump wanted Ukraine to investigate Biden.  Who cares?

Another nothing burger

Everybody knows that Trump pushed the Ukraine president to claim he was investigating Joe Biden and that appropriated funds were withheld from Ukraine awaiting announcement of that investigation until it was revealed that the funds were being withheld.  Everything else is window dressing. 

The question the Senate must answer:  is it acceptable for a president of the United States to request foreign nations to be involved in domestic political campaigns.  Some people believe that is something any American president can do because there are no rules in politics and some people believe that an American president should not be allowed to invite foreign nations into our domestic politics.  The issue will be resolved by the current Senate.  Either the Senate will ratify the involvement of foreign governments into domestic political activities or it will not.   Either way, the decision of the Senate will impact our country forever. 

I keep trying to think of a way the Senate can acquit Trump without endorsing the position that future presidents can insert foreign governments into our domestic politics but have yet to come up with a way to achieve that end.

18 hours ago, easybronc said:

I love the new star witness .... a guy headed to jail whose bombshell testimony is second hand info that Trump wanted Ukraine to investigate Biden.  Who cares?

Another nothing burger

I don't give a shit about what Parnas may or may not have done... what matters are the documents, text messages, etc., that he provides. Shouldn't it give you pause that your hero continually surrounds himself with people like Parnas?

19 hours ago, easybronc said:

Another nothing burger

Much of what he's said is corroborated by logical conclusions to be drawn from finally released emails.

Beyond that, I'm waiting to see if the Repubs actually allow Bolton and others that Mr. Grumpy wants to prohibit from testifying do so.

And if Giuliani testifies, which one is going to throw the other under the bus for illicit dealings with Ukraine? Rudy or Trump?

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

This is a joke.  Republicans and Democrats should both be accountable for their roles in this trial and there should be sufficient ways to document this with today's technology.  Press like C-SPAN should have their normal access.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/19/business/media/senate-impeachment-trial-media.html

GOP fascism at its finest.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministries_of_Nineteen_Eighty-Four

The Ministry of Truth (Newspeak: Minitrue) is the ministry of propaganda. As with the other ministries in the novel, the name Ministry of Truth is a misnomer because in reality it serves the opposite: it is responsible for any necessary falsification of historical events. However, like the other ministries, the name is also apt because it decides what "truth" is in Oceania.

As well as administering truth, the ministry spreads a new language amongst the populace called Newspeak, in which, for example, "truth" is understood to mean statements like 2 + 2 = 5 when the situation warrants. In keeping with the concept of doublethink, the ministry is thus aptly named in that it creates/manufactures "truth" in the Newspeak sense of the word. The book describes the doctoring of historical records to show a government-approved version of events.

Role in information[edit]

The Ministry of Truth is involved with news media, entertainment, the fine arts and educational books. Its purpose is to rewrite history to change the facts to fit Party doctrine for propaganda effect. For example, if Big Brother makes a prediction that turns out to be wrong, the employees of the Ministry of Truth correct the record to make it accurate. This is the "how" of the Ministry of Truth's existence. Within the novel, Orwell elaborates that the deeper reason for its existence, the "why", is to maintain the illusion that the Party is absolute. It cannot ever seem to change its mind (if, for instance, they perform one of their constant changes regarding enemies during war) or make a mistake (firing an official or making a grossly misjudged supply prediction), for that would imply weakness and to maintain power the Party must seem eternally right and strong.

Minitrue plays a role as the news media by changing history, and changing the words in articles about events current and past, so that Big Brother and his government are always seen in a good light and can never do any wrong. The content is more propaganda than actual news.

Posted Image

The Washington Post has tracked over 16K lies by the president to date.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/01/20/president-trump-made-16241-false-or-misleading-claims-his-first-three-years/

The National Archives is now sanitizing information to not offend Trump.  Altering records so the women's march wasn't about Trump.  The National Parks Service has been drug into the fray to lie about crowd sizes.  NOAA has been usurped to lie about the weather.  The national intelligence agencies have been enlisted to lie about intelligence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/museums/the-national-archives-used-to-stand-for-independence-that-mission-has-been-compromised/2020/01/18/5b524214-3a0d-11ea-bb7b-265f4554af6d_story.html

Stephanie Grisham doesn't do press conferences...only goes on Fox news to spread propaganda.

Guys, tell me how we aren't on the cusp of decending into facism.  Tell me how constitution is setup to prevent such things and that there are people who will stand up for the constitution instead of a dictator who can't win a national popular election.  Maduro had a nice constitution too but his judges decided to be a rubber stamp and the national legislature neutered itself.

This kinda seems like how 1983 may have felt as the Ministry of Truth was just getting going.  Big Brother Trump with the ministers of propoganda controlling and sanitizing the cameras of the impeachment.  The mindless conjobs will repeat 2+2=5 on command...you have all seen it.

Posted Image

On 1/18/2020 at 6:19 PM, sactowndog said:

Let’s see, prison population by race 

Black 37.6%
Hispanic 32.0%
Native Amer 2.3%
Asian 1.5%

that totals 74.3% so it is hardly a stretch, divisive or racists to point out 3/4 likelihood those prisoners are a person of color while the Republican Party is an equally high percent white male.   

but I will agree Trump is doing his best to narrow the gap! 

Nice deflection. “Fine lilly white Congressman”. C’mon dude admit it, you’re a racist. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Nice deflection. “Fine lilly white Congressman”. C’mon dude admit it, you’re a racist. 

Not at all.   I just think if an indicted or convicted person is admissible evidence like in most trials it should be in Trumps Senate Trial. .   

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

Gotta do everything possible to facilitate Mr. Grumpy claiming "full exoneration" when it's over. Just refusing to allow any witnesses to be called may not be enough.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

No Nunes?

Aw, too bad.

I think that Nunes has been too personally implicated at this point to have any purpose in an impeachment defense, even if it is just screaming and threatening lawsuits.

Just now, retrofade said:

I think that Nunes has been too personally implicated at this point to have any purpose in an impeachment defense, even if it is just screaming and threatening lawsuits.

Yes.

I'm f****ng with you Ted.

Image result for i was just fucking with you ted gif

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

Woah...

Won’t happen as long as Whitewash Mitch is in Charge of the Trial....

I have two thoughts on this 

1). Nancy played this impeachment horribly by rushing the case and she should have waited for Bolton and others to be forced to testify by the courts. @thelawlorfaithful ‘s position

2)  Nancy played this impeachment brilliantly by forcing McConnell into a whitewash cover-up for Trump and putting Senators in swing states in a tough spot.   23 GOP Senators are up for re-election and everyone is going to spend lots of time defending their role in this sham trial.   

can’t tell for sure what way I feel. 

15 hours ago, retrofade said:

Lol... Trump just added a bunch of screamers to his Impeachment team.

For Mr. Grumpy the former reality TV star, it's all about social media look. And if independents are as lazy about informing themselves about the issues as Republicans appear to be, that's a great strategy. Of course, if Trump actually cares about how he's viewed historically, it's a terrible strategy because having a bunch of bomb throwers supporting him will not be viewed favorably by people who will be more able to see the forest for the trees.

Boom goes the dynamite.

55 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Won’t happen as long as Whitewash Mitch is in Charge of the Trial....

I have two thoughts on this 

1). Nancy played this impeachment horribly by rushing the case and she should have waited for Bolton and others to be forced to testify by the courts. @thelawlorfaithful ‘s position

2)  Nancy played this impeachment brilliantly by forcing McConnell into a whitewash cover-up for Trump and putting Senators in swing states in a tough spot.   23 GOP Senators are up for re-election and everyone is going to spend lots of time defending their role in this sham trial.   

can’t tell for sure what way I feel. 

Of course not and the House Dems know that. It's just one more bullet point which the Dems can include in their post-not guilty rebuttal.

Besides which, Cippolone has shown himself to be an incompetent dolt so his participation isn't going to help Trump in any event.

Boom goes the dynamite.