Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

This F’n conference is a joke.

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

Well, Wyoming has been the visionary and cofounder of two conferences that Hawai'I later joined. Tell us more about leeching and coattails...

I wanna hear more of "rising in statue" and "peeking"...

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

6 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Well, Wyoming has been the visionary and cofounder of two conferences that Hawai'I later joined. Tell us more about leeching and coattails...

Yet Hawaii is the one that has been giving their share of the tv revenue back to the conference to up everyone else's since we joined because our local tv rights make more than what we would have gotten under the old contract and still a good portion of the new one.

21 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Why didn't you guys push for change? This was the time. 

Had Hawaii football been as good the last several years as it was under June Jones, that may have been possible. Instead they've had only one good year since joining the MWC so have no leverage.

If UH can have double digit win seasons half the time and replace that rusted old stadium - and I for one know and hope they can - things will be different in 2026. However, it looks from here like along with CSU, SJSU, UNLV and UNM, they've had the most mismanaged athletics department in the conference.

Oh and nobody gets the TV revenue shaft worse than SDSU. However, it is what it is. For now.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner

@Warbow

Hawaii's future football schedules.   Actually looking pretty good (except BYU vs HAWAII needs to be an annual rivalry)

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/hawaii/

Hoping BYU can alter playing in the Hawaii Bowl every other year (maybe rotate with Hawaii every year, as being the host schools).

Hawaii fans are amazing.   Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.   

Schools that average under 20,000 fans per game should have to pay a fine (travel subsidy).  Not Hawaii.

The current Travel Subsidy extortion is a racist policy against a majority minority enrollment school.

MWC average attendance 2019.
Team Average 2018 Average 2019 Change
Air Force 27,701 27,084 -617
Boise State 34,635 33,488 -1,147
Colorado State 29,504 23,337 -6,167
Fresno State 31,503 31,551 48
Hawaii 24,935 23,688 -1,247
Nevada 17,180 16,180 -1,000
New Mexico 16,587 15,747 -840
San Diego State 31,439 29,896 -1,543
San Jose State 14,255 15,387 1,132
Utah State 18,717 19,609 892
UNLV 16,823 19,864 3,041
Wyoming 18,885 23,007 4,122

Guest #1Stunner

Boise dominates the MWC with total attendance.

Don't worry Boise fans, you will still get some games on ESPN when you play BYU.    

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

I wanna hear more of "rising in statue" and "peeking"...

How many languages do you speak?  (not counting Idahoan).

It's my understanding that @Warbow speaks English as a second language (he's a Niihau guy).

Show respect.

Well, if Hawaii came to the table with a better product post-Jones and supplied soap in the locker rooms, maybe there would be more leverage.

UH now has a window to demonstrate their growth and worth during this new media window.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

29 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Had Hawaii football been as good the last several years as it was under June Jones, that may have been possible. Instead they've had only one good year since joining the MWC so have no leverage.

If UH can have double digit win seasons half the time and replace that rusted old stadium - and I for one know and hope they can - things will be different in 2026. However, it looks from here like along with CSU, SJSU, UNLV and UNM, they've had the most mismanaged athletics department in the conference.

Oh and nobody gets the TV revenue shaft worse than SDSU. However, it is what it is. For now.

Prior to the MW invite we came off the 10-4 Co-WAC Champ 2010 season. But we have garnered additions pluses in the approval of Week '0' and continued with 13th game pluses in recent years. Our President David Lassner and AD Dave Matlin seems content with the status quo though. They haven't seen to be much in putting work towards getting better deals

Hawaii is replacing the current Aloha Stadium (planned to be opened for the beginning of the 2023 season). https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/12/31/sports/new-aloha-stadium-targeted-for-2023-opening/. We have the money, etc. all in place. Just waiting on the design to be finalized (going to be a 30-35k seater with room for future expansion), the Environmental Impact Statement to be finished in Q2, and finding a developer to build what the Master Planner (Crawford Architects) wants which is supposed to be decided sometime in the next month or so at latest. Groundbreaking beginning sometime next year.

18 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Prior to the MW invite we came off the 10-4 Co-WAC Champ 2010 season. But we have garnered additions pluses in the approval of Week '0' and continued with 13th game pluses in recent years. Our President David Lassner and AD Dave Matlin seems content with the status quo though. They haven't seen to be much in putting work towards getting better deals

Hawaii is replacing the current Aloha Stadium (planned to be opened for the beginning of the 2023 season). https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/12/31/sports/new-aloha-stadium-targeted-for-2023-opening/. We have the money, etc. all in place. Just waiting on the design to be finalized (going to be a 30-35k seater with room for future expansion), the Environmental Impact Statement to be finished in Q2, and finding a developer to build what the Master Planner (Crawford Architects) wants which is supposed to be decided sometime in the next month or so at latest. Groundbreaking beginning sometime next year.

You actually have space to build a new stadium while using the current one?  Amazing.

16 minutes ago, aztech said:

You actually have space to build a new stadium while using the current one?  Amazing.

The plan is using part of the existing large lot of parking space to fit a new stadium. The rail line to the area I believe is planned to be done by this December to alleviate the loss of parking. The only option that is in the same location is Option A. But the plan for that is taking down and rebuilding the current stadium in sections. 

web1_9-9-stadium-options.jpg

There were renders released that were shown off to the public in the other thread 

46 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

The plan is using part of the existing large lot of parking space to fit a new stadium. The rail line to the area I believe is planned to be done by this December to alleviate the loss of parking. The only option that is in the same location is Option A. But the plan for that is taking down and rebuilding the current stadium in sections. 

There were renders released that were shown off to the public in the other thread 

I dig #1 and #3 TBH.

20 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

I dig #1 and #3 TBH.

Same. Option 2 is the worse, because they cut off a large portion of sideline seating to be "revolutionary" and try to make that side be able to convert into a concert stage(the green bleachers) wanting it to be a more C-shape like the Waikiki Shell...I would do Option 1, but the way it will have to be built would be a headache I would think having to make sure the existing Stadium structure is still stable as they build the new one. Also it keeps a lot of tailgating space rather than section them off to parking structures. Option 3 is pretty much the run of your mill college stadium

4 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Same. Option 2 is the worse, because they cut off a large portion of sideline seating to be "revolutionary" and try to make that side be able to convert into a concert stage(the green bleachers) wanting it to be a more C-shape like the Waikiki Shell...I would do Option 1, but the way it will have to be built would be a headache I would think having to make sure the existing Stadium structure is still stable as they build the new one. Also it keeps a lot of tailgating space rather than section them off to parking structures. Option 3 is pretty much the run of your mill college stadium

If option 2 had a “retractable” side for concerts or whatever, would be better.  Just don’t like the asymmetry of the stadium....but I’m old.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Most important criteria, they need to choose the option to keep the swap meet.

On 1/9/2020 at 2:09 PM, Warbow said:

All members are not treated equally. TV deal favors Boise St just to keep them in the conference. No school gets to keep its own tier 3 tv deals. Travel subs still an issue.

Seriously what other conference favors a certain member?  I---> Big-12, See: Tejas Wronghorns

Seriously what other conference penalizes a certain member?  I---> Big-10, New members don't get a full-share right away

Bunch of coattail riding institutions . Now I know why BYU left.

Good thing you're not a member of the conf then.