Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

It's official, The Rock steps down at SDSU.

18 hours ago, 1066 said:

SDSU football has plateaued because everyone in the league except Boise has plateaued.

Sorry if I offend but given the timing, that's among the most uninformed posts any Aztec has made on this board.

SDSU just weathered a potentially devastating rumor mill, it has immeditately replaced its great HC with another proven commodity who is nine years younger and highly motivated to prove he still has what it takes (think Steve Fisher) and it is in the process of expanding its campus and building a new football stadium. And I dare say that the new guy won't be content to just win 10 games and get to a minor bowl game each year.

I've never once heard Rocky say that getting to the NY6 bowl was a goal of his so maybe HE had plateaued. However, within the next three years Hoke will have positioned SDSU to be as much a challenger for that spot as anybody.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, PTR said:

That seems to be an ideal situation for both schools. Rocky still owns a home in Burque though. At this point, it all hinges on what Hoke decides to do with Arnett. 

Actually it all hinges upon what Arnett does.  Rocky said yesterday he wasn't taking the SDSU DC job unless Arnett left for another DC job and that Arnett had in fact interviewed for more than one DC job elsewhere.  So if Arnett goes, then it is likely Rocky is the SDSU DC.

The fly in the ointment might be the Leach to Miss St.  Leach covets Rocky and they are friends.  I could see Rocky going to there as DC for a couple of years and then if Arnett ever left come back to SDSU.  Who knows Leach might hire Arnett - I'm pretty sure one of the places he interviewed was with Leach at Wazzu.

10 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Sorry if I offend but given the timing, that's among the most uninformed posts any Aztec has made on this board.

SDSU just weathered a potentially devastating rumor mill, it has immeditately replaced its great HC with another proven commodity who is nine years younger and highly motivated to prove he still has what it takes (think Steve Fisher) and it is in the process of expanding its campus and building a new football stadium. And I dare say that the new guy won't be content to just win 10 games and get to a minor bowl game each year.

I've never once heard Rocky say that getting to the NY6 bowl was a goal of his so maybe HE had plateaued. However, within the next three years Hoke will have positioned SDSU to be as much a challenger for that spot as anybody.

I wouldn't call Hoke a proven commodity.  You give him Michigan resources and he loses to Rutgers.  Yeah he had a great first year, then things got progressively worse every single season after that.  Maybe he learned or maybe SDSU will be a better fit, but proven eh....

If they have any chance of retaining Zach Arnett they will have to pay him double what he is getting now. Horton retained as a runingbacks coach obnly,Schmidt Hunkie stay.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

21 hours ago, renoskier said:

"Orange curtain"?

Orange County. The county that separates Hell-Lay from Sandy Eggo

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

21 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

No offense taken. The new stadium will be a major add and benefit to our program as will the 3.5 mill per year in the new contract but that will not change the fact that over the past few years the entire league, with the possible exception of Boise has plateaued. I look forward to Hoke as coach and hope for improvement. Indeed I expect improvement. I also wish Rocky the best.  I would be more than willing to put up with 10 wins per year if it got us an occasional access bowl, but it will not.

12 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

I wouldn't call Hoke a proven commodity.  You give him Michigan resources and he loses to Rutgers.  Yeah he had a great first year, then things got progressively worse every single season after that.  Maybe he learned or maybe SDSU will be a better fit, but proven eh....

Ball State hadn't had a winning season since 1996 when Hoke took over there in 2003. He then went 4-8, 2-9, 4-7, 5-7, 7-6 (BSU's first bowl appearance in 21 years) and 12-2. Ball State has otherwise never won more than 10 games and that happened just once.

Hoke was over his head at Michigan. That happens to so many people that it has a name, the Peter Principle.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Being ahead coach at a national power and being a head coach at any G5 or lower echelon P5 is apples and oranges.The skill sets are different  Talking about plateaus ,meaninglessness.

An Access Bowl conference shares the money you get one day on national TV when some witch, BFD. IN the end the access bowl teams even if they win are still right back where they are, in thew urban blight of the G5. Were all just praying for Gentrification of the hood, but the gentry is same guys with all the money and we ain't it. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/mwest/2018/04/17/san-diego-state-unique-approach-has-aztecs-elite-company/523940002/

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

2 hours ago, 1066 said:

No offense taken. The new stadium will be a major add and benefit to our program as will the 3.5 mill per year in the new contract but that will not change the fact that over the past few years the entire league, with the possible exception of Boise has plateaued. I look forward to Hoke as coach and hope for improvement. Indeed I expect improvement. I also wish Rocky the best.  I would be more than willing to put up with 10 wins per year if it got us an occasional access bowl, but it will not.

I don't think the MW teams have plateaued.  Look at our record against the P5 this year and our bowl records.  I think most every team has gotten better over since the current incarnation of the league.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Ball State hadn't had a winning season since 1996 when Hoke took over there in 2003. He then went 4-8, 2-9, 4-7, 5-7, 7-6 (BSU's first bowl appearance in 21 years) and 12-2. Ball State has otherwise never won more than 10 games and that happened just once.

Hoke was over his head at Michigan. That happens to so many people that it has a name, the Peter Principle.

What doomed Hoked at Michigan was one position - QB.  His first year he had Denard Robinson and they rode his legs to a 11-2 season.  After that Borges tried to revert back to a pro-style QB and the QB's he had were adept at throwing the ball to the other team.  In his last season, Michigan QB's were dead last in the country in interception/pass attempt ratio at 5.5%.  The national average is around 2.9% and good is sub 2.0%.  His QB's were also not able to run well (aside from Robinson) and got sacked at a rate of 10% of pass attempts that last year.  So basically one in every six pass attempts ended up as a sack or an interception the last year.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Minor correction, it was 11 years not 21. They played Nevada in the 1996 Las Vegas Bowl.

9 hours ago, Fowl said:

What doomed Hoked at Michigan was one position - QB.  His first year he had Denard Robinson and they rode his legs to a 11-2 season.  After that Borges tried to revert back to a pro-style QB and the QB's he had were adept at throwing the ball to the other team.  In his last season, Michigan QB's were dead last in the country in interception/pass attempt ratio at 5.5%.  The national average is around 2.9% and good is sub 2.0%.  His QB's were also not able to run well (aside from Robinson) and got sacked at a rate of 10% of pass attempts that last year.  So basically one in every six pass attempts ended up as a sack or an interception the last year.

By year 4 who recruited those players?  Who coached those players?  Who was supposed to develop those players?  QB was but a part of it.  Also this isn't about not beating Ohio State this was not beating Rutgers, getting owned by CSEwe archrival Minnesota in your own stadium.  11-2 then 8-5 then 7-6 then 5-7.  A whole lot more was going wrong than just the QB and the constant regression is a warning sign. Things were getting worse and look up the student er activity towards the end of 2014.  Yeah of course this does not mean Hoke is going to necessarily fail as a coach at SDSU, I just don't see him as a proven commodity.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:29 PM, DoubleBlueGold said:

I replied to ECA earlier in this or the RL thread, but I don't think Hoke leaves. I doubt he will be courted or poached. He had his big dance and it didn't end in the spotlight he wanted. Since he was fired from Big Blue, other P5 jobs have opened and none called him. I think, like RL, he retires as Aztec HC.

He basically just said this in an interview yesterday, even promising he won’t leave this time haha. He’s 61, at some point guys just want stability and to retire at the beach.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:41 AM, SleepingGiantFan said:

This is an overstatement when it comes to Hoke as a HC.  In his 12 full seasons as a HC he's had 6 winning seasons and 2 of those 6 were 7-6 seasons.  Hoke is not out to prove he still has it.  He's out to prove he finally has it!  Hoke has never had anything approaching the success of Fisher prior to getting the HC job at SDSU.  Apples to oranges.

Don't get me wrong.  I like the hire.  I like Hoke's experience, that he went back to being an assistant and that he earned another shot as a HC.  This could very well turn out great for Aztec football.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:47 AM, Fowl said:

I don't think the MW teams have plateaued.  Look at our record against the P5 this year and our bowl records.  I think most every team has gotten better over since the current incarnation of the league.

Some teams have become not just better but more competitive in OOC play.  Most are the same old same old.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, badfish said:

He basically just said this in an interview yesterday, even promising he won’t leave this time haha. He’s 61, at some point guys just want stability and to retire at the beach.

I have heard a couple of interviews with him this week and some others from earlier in the season. He and his wife have always liked the Sandy Eggo lifestyle.

He did leave for the opportunity at Michigan, his dream job. While he has never stated it, he does not regret taking the UM gig or the outcome, but you can sense he wishes he had stayed on the Mesa.

Americans Mayor

On 1/10/2020 at 8:24 AM, 1066 said:

In your last sentence, are you referring to Rocky or Hoke?

On 1/10/2020 at 9:24 AM, 1066 said:

I would be more than willing to put up with 10 wins per year if it got us an occasional access bowl, but it will not.

There are nine other schools in the MW that want to put up with multiple ten win seasons.

Americans Mayor