Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

It's official, The Rock steps down at SDSU.

My thoughts on Rocky as an outsider...

Rocky was polarizing, but the dude won a lot of games. But he never won "the big one." He had a lot of P5 scalps. He put a lot of guys in the league. Like Ron McBride. Like Pat Hill.

To me, he is best known for his consistency...you always knew what you were going to get with Rocky...great defense, boring offense and more wins than losses. That was his formula, and love it or hate it, it was effective.

When Pat Hill was fired, I thought it was a good move. I felt he'd taken the program as far as he could. The success under DeRuyter in the first two years only emboldened my opinion. But then it went south in a hurry. That can happen at any program, but it can escalate quicker at G5 programs.

I don't know all the particulars of why he stepped down, but it sounds like the AD was stepping out of his lane and telling Rocky who to fire. That's not a good move, and I don't blame Rock for giving them the finger. Doing that after a bad season is one thing...doing it after a successful one is out of line.

Hopefully Hoke is the right man for the job, and he can make all your dreams come true. The last thing the conference needs is one of it's most consistent teams to start sucking ass. As Fresno State fan I know all too well how that feels.

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Watching the presser, that included Rocky, J-Duh and Hoke, the question was asked about Rocky's future. The answer wase that he still loves to coach but hated being the head coach and is willing to listen to offers but "right now" he's retired..  Nothing new there. His follow up statement about when was absolutely the happiest he had ever been was when he was coaching LB' s and DB's for Brady.  Sly looks and smirks from everyone on the panel. 

Don't be surprised.....

His wife a horse trainer, they have money.

4 hours ago, battle.borne said:

SDSU "chasing the dragon" as it relates to having a high flying offense to match it's stifling defense.  Good luck with that

No one said it had to be a high flying offense.  This is the argument I hate with other Wyoming fans when discussing Bohl and his similar philosophy to Rocky.  It doesnt have to be spread or air raid.  There isn't only vanilla and high flying offenses.  There are still offenses where you control the clock some but also have a competent passing game.  

1 minute ago, Lobo Amor said:

Local sports reporter just mentioned that Rocky may be coming back to NM. With Coach Gonzales set to announce assistants tomorrow or Friday it doesn't take long to fly into Albuquerque. 

Saw that as well.  Mentioned that he is rumored to be returning as a coordinator, or in a fund raising capacity.

4 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Local sports reporter just mentioned that Rocky may be coming back to NM. With Coach Gonzales set to announce assistants tomorrow or Friday it doesn't take long to fly into Albuquerque. 

I kinda wondered about Rocky bolting for the HC position at UNM when it became available since it sounded like he lobbied for the New Mexico Bowl during the bowl hash.  I hope he stays at SDSU in some capacity but there's no place like home.

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

No one said it had to be a high flying offense.  This is the argument I hate with other Wyoming fans when discussing Bohl and his similar philosophy to Rocky.  It doesnt have to be spread or raid.  There isn't only vanilla and high flying.  There are still offenses where you control the clock some but also have a competent passing game.  

Yeah and one isn't paying attention if they think Bohl is happy with where the passing game was this year.  Difference is how people think you fix it. 

44 minutes ago, stchas said:

Saw that as well.  Mentioned that he is rumored to be returning as a coordinator, or in a fund raising capacity.

Not likley Rocky made a point odf saying his wife said no to all the places that asked him. Also if Arnette were to ge thired Rocky would stay as DC at SDSU (by his own words)

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2020-01-08/san-diego-state-aztecs-football-rocky-long-defensive-coordinator-zach-arnett-brady-hoke

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

2 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

My thoughts on Rocky as an outsider...

Rocky was polarizing, but the dude won a lot of games. But he never won "the big one." He had a lot of P5 scalps. He put a lot of guys in the league. Like Ron McBride. Like Pat Hill.

To me, he is best known for his consistency...you always knew what you were going to get with Rocky...great defense, boring offense and more wins than losses. That was his formula, and love it or hate it, it was effective.

When Pat Hill was fired, I thought it was a good move. I felt he'd taken the program as far as he could. The success under DeRuyter in the first two years only emboldened my opinion. But then it went south in a hurry. That can happen at any program, but it can escalate quicker at G5 programs.

I don't know all the particulars of why he stepped down, but it sounds like the AD was stepping out of his lane and telling Rocky who to fire. That's not a good move, and I don't blame Rock for giving them the finger. Doing that after a bad season is one thing...doing it after a successful one is out of line.

Hopefully Hoke is the right man for the job, and he can make all your dreams come true. The last thing the conference needs is one of it's most consistent teams to start sucking ass. As Fresno State fan I know all too well how that feels.

What the Hell is the BIg One ,you dont' win Big Ones when you G5 you win a championship win a Bowl game he did that . He beat Stanford when they were ranked.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

15 minutes ago, steveem said:

What the Hell is the BIg One ,you dont' win Big Ones when you G5 you win a championship win a Bowl game he did that . He beat Stanford when they were ranked.

"Elite" G5 teams are measured by NY6 games these days probably, at least I'm guessing that is what your fan base wanted.  Especially the ones who feel above the MW.  

23 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Yeah and one isn't paying attention if they think Bohl is happy with where the passing game was this year.  Difference is how people think you fix it. 

I don't want to detail this thread too much since this is Rocky's thread, but when the offense has been decent one year out of 6, maybe its time for changes.  

I love Rocky and will miss him as HC, but I think Hoke’s ceiling is much higher. I think he could leave for a bigger opportunity and we won’t be as consistent as a program, but if we are ever to make it to a NY6 game or have an undefeated season, it’s under Hoke.

51 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

"Elite" G5 teams are measured by NY6 games these days probably, at least I'm guessing that is what your fan base wanted.  Especially the ones who feel above the MW.  

Then their nuts except for Boise because of its rep, no MW team could reach the NY6 unless they went undefeated and no AAC did. IMHO

Freddy Nietzsche

1 hour ago, nielsbohr said:

I kinda wondered about Rocky bolting for the HC position at UNM when it became available since it sounded like he lobbied for the New Mexico Bowl during the bowl hash.  I hope he stays at SDSU in some capacity but there's no place like home.

It would be what he is looking for now as he wouldn't have to the HC and he could help jump start the program for his former pupil. 

1 hour ago, badfish said:

I love Rocky and will miss him as HC, but I think Hoke’s ceiling is much higher. I think he could leave for a bigger opportunity and we won’t be as consistent as a program, but if we are ever to make it to a NY6 game or have an undefeated season, it’s under Hoke.

I replied to ECA earlier in this or the RL thread, but I don't think Hoke leaves. I doubt he will be courted or poached. He had his big dance and it didn't end in the spotlight he wanted. Since he was fired from Big Blue, other P5 jobs have opened and none called him. I think, like RL, he retires as Aztec HC.

11 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Sounds like he wants to be done being an HC. Not sure how much time a football coach really has to enjoy that SoCal lifestyle. Plus this is not a terminal situation. He can still retire there when he's finally done.

Best of luck to the Rock. He feels like the last of a dying breed.

(Of course you would think he would be offered the opportunity to trade places with Hoke if the only issue was being HC, so there's obviously more to the story).

Rocky is very loyal to his assistants. The current DC is Zack Arnett whom also played for him. I don’t see Rocky doing that.