Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Boise State

16 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I would take Derrick Jones again in a heartbeat.  Same thing with Patrick McCaw and Rashad Vaughn.

The thing is, Rice didn't recruit McCaw, UNLV did. His parents became engaged on the steps of the T&M back in the day.

And he was way under the radar, so we'll see what happens next year.

10 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I'd love to have both high level talent AND chemistry/work ethic/teamwork.  However, if I had to pick one I'd MUCH rather have the latter than the former.  I'm so sick and tired of the underachieving, me-first teams that UNLV has become accustomed to, and this year has been a huge and much-needed breath of fresh air as far as players clearly hustling, listening to and respecting the coaches, and working to get better. 

Some of TJ's recent recruits have been flabbergasting to say the least, but he's really making his mark improving the rotten team culture so he'll get the benefit of the doubt on that one.  Many complained about Kruger's weak recruits, but they fit into those teams and helped them become an NCAA staple, which can't be said of any other Rebel team since Tark.

Guys like Rashad Vaughn, Derrick Jones, Patrick McCaw, and Khem Birch were team first and weren’t selfish.

Otzelberger’s first class is better than anything ever got.  With that said, I would be disappointed if this is the best he ever does.

19 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I would take Derrick Jones again in a heartbeat.  Same thing with Patrick McCaw and Rashad Vaughn.

McCaw was a way under the radar recruit. He was not highly rated at all. I think 2 star.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Guys like Rashad Vaughn, Derrick Jones, Patrick McCaw, and Khem Birch were team first and weren’t selfish.

Otzelberger’s first class is better than anything ever got.  With that said, I would be disappointed if this is the best he ever does.

I disagree that Vaughn was team first. He was me first all the way. His shot selection was totally me first. He blew up at least 3 or 4 end of game play calls to take hero shots. I think he missed almost all of them.

He also came in 1 and done all the way. He was nice and very polite, but not buying team first.

I dont even think theres a disagreement here. I think we all agree that system fit and attitude should come before stars.

But obviously none of us including the staff are going to pass on program changing talent. 

People are happy because we feel that TJ is showing the temperament needed to deal with a team full of talented players. 

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Take that nonsense back to Rebelnet.  Far too many of the players Rice and his staff recruited cared little to nothing about the success of the program.  The staff couldn’t get them to buy-in, was one of the big reasons they weren’t very successful.  

3 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Take that nonsense back to Rebelnet.  Far too many of the players Rice and his staff recruited cared little to nothing about the success of the program.  The staff couldn’t get them to buy-in, was one of the big reasons they weren’t very successful.  

Way to completely deflect.  Khem Birch and Derrick Jones are playing rotation minutes in the NBA dipshit.

4 hours ago, qwelish said:

I disagree that Vaughn was team first. He was me first all the way. His shot selection was totally me first. He blew up at least 3 or 4 end of game play calls to take hero shots. I think he missed almost all of them.

He also came in 1 and done all the way. He was nice and very polite, but not buying team first.

If you think that Rashad Vaughn didn’t care about team success, then you’re sadly mistaken.

3 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

You’d probably rather have Devin “Fat Boy” Tillis than Rashad Vaughn.

5 hours ago, qwelish said:

McCaw was a way under the radar recruit. He was not highly rated at all. I think 2 star.

He really f*cked up his career by choosing to leave the Warriors.  They had big plans for him to be the 6th man off the bench.  That's what he gets for listening to his posse, telling him he could be a starter elsewhere for more $$.  

56 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Way to completely deflect.  Khem Birch and Derrick Jones are playing rotation minutes in the NBA dipshit.

Hey! Don’t be calling @Ernie Baer a dipshit! He has forgotten more about rebel basketball than the rest of us will ever know. 

8 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Hey! Don’t be calling @Ernie Baer a dipshit! He has forgotten more about rebel basketball than the rest of us will ever know. 

Some have always been enchanted by stars and potential rather than results.  Rice recruits turned UNLV into a perenially underachieving joke and ruined their culture, which is still trying to be restored.  But hey, they had lots of stars next to their names, that's what's important!!

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

37 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Some have always been enchanted by stars and potential rather than results.  Rice recruits turned UNLV into a perenially underachieving joke and ruined their culture, which is still trying to be restored.  But hey, they had lots of stars next to their names, that's what's important!!

Can’t win big without stars.  It’s about getting the right ones.  Villanova seems to have it figured out.

48 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I’ll quit calling whoever that is by that term, but that’s not Ernie Baer.  The real Ernie Baer died 14 years ago.

https://m.legacy.com/obituaries/lvrj/obituary.aspx?n=ernest-baer&pid=142034172&referrer=0&preview=True

1 hour ago, aztech said:

He really f*cked up his career by choosing to leave the Warriors.  They had big plans for him to be the 6th man off the bench.  That's what he gets for listening to his posse, telling him he could be a starter elsewhere for more $$.  

That he did.  Several people in the Warriors organization, my guy Ron Adams being one, were quite high on McCaw.  

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

You’d probably rather have Devin “Fat Boy” Tillis than Rashad Vaughn.

You should want players who care a helluva lot more about the name on the front of their jersey as opposed to the name of the back on their jersey.  You should want players who are coachable and play hard each game, for a full 40 minutes, regardless of score.  

There is a lengthy list of former Rebels I would rather have had over Rashad Vaughn, who when given the opportunity to return late in the season and try to help UNLV make a late run for the NCAA tournament chose to sit it out so it wouldn't hurt his NBA chances.  These are the prospects you're enamored with.  Obviously you have a lot to learn about the game young fella. 

Since you're into internet searches go research Armon Gilliam.  There is a great example of the type of player every program should want to have.  

6 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

You should want players who care a helluva lot more about the name on the front of their jersey as opposed to the name of the back on their jersey.  You should want players who are coachable and play hard each game, for a full 40 minutes, regardless of score.  

There is a lengthy list of former Rebels I would rather have had over Rashad Vaughn, who when given the opportunity to return late in the season and try to help UNLV make a late run for the NCAA tournament chose to sit it out so it wouldn't hurt his NBA chances.  These are the prospects you're enamored with.  Obviously you have a lot to learn about the game young fella. 

Since you're into internet searches go research Armon Gilliam.  There is a great example of the type of player every program should want to have.  

If I owned this site, I would ban you for pretending to be Ernie Baer.

Armon Gilliam played in the NBA, so bad example.

Also, who cares if Rashad Vaughn sat out?  It’s selfish of you to expect some player to risk injuring themself further when it could hurt their future income.

You're probably one who is against college football players sitting out meaningless bowl games when they’re guaranteed to go in the first round.