Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Boise State

42 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Players doing their own thing has been a problem for UNLV under Rice and Menzies. TJ looks like he has better control of the players and won’t tolerate selfishness. 

Big difference in the huddle, too. These guys are locked in, not only to T.J., but Slocum last night as well. And ALL of them are listening, not just the ones who happen to be on the court at the time. We NEVER saw that with Rice, and only occasionally with Menzies. It’s refreshing to see, as a rebel fan. 

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Anyone who would just say no to top 50 recruits is plain stupid.  If UNLV could get someone like Derrick Jones again, minus the ACT issue, I’d take that in a heartbeat.

I don’t think Unlv can recruit well enough just to gather stars and names.  You don’t have that type of program anymore.  I agree with these guys that Unlv should relax on the stars next to a name and find the right guys.  I think first step is to compete in the MW and not hover around .500.   Then you need to actually win the MW a few times.  Then I think you can start bringing in some big recruits. 

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The egg we laid at Nevada has me skeptical. We seem to go as our three point shooting goes and SDSU is a good defensive team so will likely shut it down. The good news is they lack a shot blocker in the post like UNLV unless Mensah comes off injury. Williams is pretty crafty around the hoop against most posts. Loss of Dickinson makes us thin on the bench.

We probably matchup with Air Force better than most other teams in the MWC. The big issue there is shutting down their perimeter shooting like we did against BYU. 

A win against either team would be big for trying to finish in the top five and a first round bye in the MWC tournament. 

Fans have been saying that for years. The game has evolved. Every team takes more 3s. Boise is 5th in the league at 3s attempted and has been in that middle/upper half for a few years now. They only shot 19 3s last night and only 15 two games ago. In conference play their opponents are shooting more 3s than they are. They are actually posting up more this year than any Rice team I've seen. They post up Jorch, Kigab, RJ, and Alston.

43 minutes ago, slappy said:

I don’t think Unlv can recruit well enough just to gather stars and names.  You don’t have that type of program anymore.  I agree with these guys that Unlv should relax on the stars next to a name and find the right guys.  I think first step is to compete in the MW and not hover around .500.   Then you need to actually win the MW a few times.  Then I think you can start bringing in some big recruits. 

I would take Derrick Jones again in a heartbeat.  Same thing with Patrick McCaw and Rashad Vaughn.

The loss snapped UNLV's four-game win streak.

THE TURNING POINT: Back-to-back 3-pointers for Jessup gave Boise State a 10-point lead (46-36) with 16:30 left in the game. After trailing by as many as 13, UNLV fought back to cut it's deficit to five with a minute to go, but another Jessup 3-pointer sealed it for Boise State.

COLD SHOOTING: As a team, UNLV made just 6 of its 25 3-point attempts (24 percent) and shot 37.7 percent from the field (23 of 61). Hardy and junior guard Jonah Antonio combined to shoot just 5 of 23 from the field, including 3 of 15 on 3-pointers.

QUOTABLE: "We talked to our guys coming in here about the intentional nature of what we need to do defensively to shut Alston down, and the physical nature of how we needed to play and have the courage to carry that on the road. I think we fell short in those two endeavors. Obviously Alston was tremendous tonight. He scored 26 but drew 10 fouls. He drives it right hard and we didn't do a great job taking that away and then there were key plays on the glass and effort and energy plays that we have been making the last couple of games that in key moments we didn't have tonight and that caused us to come up short." - UNLV head coach T.J. Otzelberger

NOTES: 
- Jessup was 5 of 6 from 3-point range, while Alston was 10 of 12 on free throws.
- UNLV junior forward Mbacke Diong equalled his season high of four blocks, all in the first half, but finished the game with just six points. 
- UNLV trailed 36-31 at halftime after Alston made a 3-pointer right before the horn.
- UNLV scored 13 points off Boise State's 14 turnovers, while the Broncos scored seven points off the Runnin' Rebels' 13 turnovers.
- UNLV led in points in the paint 30-20, in second-chance points 16-7, and in bench scoring 27-13.
- UNLV was without senior guard Elijah Mitrou-Long for the eighth straight game because of a broken thumb.
- UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,087 straight games.

2 hours ago, slappy said:

I disagree. The glamor and glitz of Vegas seems to attract kids even if they can’t gamble. 

2 hours ago, slappy said:

Name another non P5 (other than Gonzaga) that attracts as many 4/5 star players over the years than us. UNLV has pulled in more Mcdonald All-Americans (Bennett, Vaughn, Birch, Zimmerman, Mccoy) in the last few years than 90% of power-5 schools. UNLV pulls in Top-50 (including a few top 10) recruiting classes year-in, and year out. Despite how bad UNLV has been over the years, it still amazes me how we continue to recruit at an elite level. 

image.png.02728d5bb6ac29dcab990d9d83e71bbb.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

8 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Name another non P5 (other than Gonzaga) that attracts as many 4/5 star players over the years than us. UNLV has pulled in more Mcdonald All-Americans (Bennett, Vaughn, Birch, Zimmerman, Mccoy) in the last few years than 90% of power-5 schools. UNLV pulls in Top-50 (including a few top 10) recruiting classes year-in, and year out. Despite how bad UNLV has been over the years, it still amazes me how we continue to recruit at an elite level. 

You have recruited very well.  Rice was really good.  I am trying to tell ph that substance over sizzle would do the program good for a while.  If you believe in TJ, then get his guys in and see where it goes.  A quality coach deserves 4 years.  Give him a chance.  

New squad and staff still coming together. Overcoming the ghost of the past 8 years where the players ran the team took a while to get past. Rebels played hard for 40, played 11 men and played with heart. This was a tough conference road game as well as our 1st in conference. We got our fair share of open shots as did BSU. The difference in the game is that they hit their shots and we didn’t. Exact opposite of our last 2 games where AFA and USU couldn’t hit a shot and we could. That is what makes conference play exciting.

Moving on we go into Wyoming and play another “anything can happen” conference game. I’m liking the effort and intensity as well as in game corrections. I thought that we were  well past giving up open layups on inbound plays so that needs to get corrected again.  We’ve just played 3 games against teams with far superior shooters (going by stats) and came away with 2 wins. I’m happy with the state of the program at this point in time. Go Rebels

6 hours ago, slappy said:

UNLV can easily skip winning the mw and go straight to national stage. Mostly because the ability to recruit and schedule. 

In fact, the last several times the Rebs have been good thats exactly what happened.

I felt the team was soundly beaten in the effort and intensity areas this past game. I know thats against the grain, but

I said exactly that during the game before half time. And that was without knowing the outcome of the game. It was just obvious to me. So not sure why more people did not pick up on it. Actually, yes I do. But hey, I was pretty sure they would not win that game unless those picked up majorly. They did not.

The team did not have the same energy and execution as bsu going into the half. I was a bit shocked to see the team come out of the half lethargic, low energy and not executing. But to me that has been a pretty common theme this year because UNLV has lost several more 2nd halves than theyve won this season.

That is a major fix thats needed because Rebs are def not good enough to win with low energy and execution this year, and maybe not next. Not really sure, we will see about next years team.

You need a certain swagger to win games like that bsu mwc road game. Broncos had that swagger from opening jump. Rebs did not capture that and definitely failed to match bsu intensity throughout.

Fixable and definite teaching moment for TJ. Just a but surprising for me given the stretch after xmas break.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I would take Derrick Jones again in a heartbeat.  Same thing with Patrick McCaw and Rashad Vaughn.

I'd love to have both high level talent AND chemistry/work ethic/teamwork.  However, if I had to pick one I'd MUCH rather have the latter than the former.  I'm so sick and tired of the underachieving, me-first teams that UNLV has become accustomed to, and this year has been a huge and much-needed breath of fresh air as far as players clearly hustling, listening to and respecting the coaches, and working to get better. 

Some of TJ's recent recruits have been flabbergasting to say the least, but he's really making his mark improving the rotten team culture so he'll get the benefit of the doubt on that one.  Many complained about Kruger's weak recruits, but they fit into those teams and helped them become an NCAA staple, which can't be said of any other Rebel team since Tark.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

5 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

In other words, don’t listen to Slappy, his team couldn’t recruit the leading scorer for Greenspun Jr. High. 

10 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

The funniest thing about this picture is Carlos Lopez being on there.