Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Boise State

University of Nevada Las Vegas   Boise State Broncos.

DATE: Wednesday, January 8
TIME: 7 p.m. MT / 6 p.m. PT
SITE: ExtraMile Arena (12,380), Boise, Idaho
TV/VID.: ESPN3 (Trey Bender, Richie Schueler)
RADIO: ESPN Radio 1100 AM (Jon Sandler, Curtis Terry, sideline: Steve Cofield)
AUDIO: UNLV Gameday App/TuneIn & UNLVRebels.com
STATS: Live Stats at Gameday App & UNLVRebels.com

Head Coach: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T.J. Otzelberger
UNLV Record: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8-8 (.500)/1st season
Career Record: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 78-41 (.656)/4th season

With this game TJO will tie Todd Simon as HC of 17 games at UNLV and with a win, TJO could tie Simon at 9 wins

The 2019-20 season marks the 62nd year of Runnin’ Rebel basketball at UNLV. Since the program’s inception in 1958-59, the Runnin’ Rebels have posted an all-time record of 1,296-575 (.693)

The all-time series is tied 9-9

UNLV is 2-6 all-time at Boise State

UNLV has won two straight over the Broncos, sweeping the season series last year with an 83-72 road win and an 85-81 overtime victory at home

Prior to its current two-game win streak vs. Boise State, UNLV had dropped four straight to the Broncos and seven of eight overall

The Broncos have won seven of the last 10 meetings

The Broncos have won four of their last five games, but are coming off an 83-66 road loss at UNR on Saturday

Boise State ranks sixth in the country in free throws made and 15th in attempts

The Broncos are 7-1 at home this season with their only loss at ExtraMile Arena being to UC Irvine on Nov. 15 (69-60)

Sophomore guard Bryce Hamilton has scored in double figures in three straight games and eight times overall this season

UNLV is 8-0 this season when shooting a higher field-goal percentage than its opponent. In addition, when the Runnin’ Rebels hold their opponents to 59 points or less, they are 5-0

UNLV has outrebounded its opponent in 12 of its 16 games this season. In those contests, the Runnin’ Rebels are 7-5

This is the second time in its history that UNLV has started the MW season 3-0

The last time the Runnin’ Rebels were 4-0 in conference play was in 1991-92 when it went undefeated the Big West (18-0)

UNLV holds the NCAA record for most consecutive games scoring at least one 3-pointer. Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 1,086 games played

Amauri Hardy needs 182 points to reach 1000 in his UNLV career - Hardy would be the 39th Rebel to score 1000 points in hia UNLV career 

Hardy has 248 points on the season - last season Chris Clyburn led UNLV with 437 points 

In the last 11 seasons UNLV has had 3 players score 500+ points in a season

luvHQ7Fj_400x400.jpg

ON THE DOORSTEP:

Boise State senior Justinian Jessup has made 275 career three-pointers, tied for the most in school history. Jessup matched Anthony Drmic’s (2011-16) all-time record Saturday, at Nevada, and will be all alone in first place with his next make from beyond the arc. Jessup is also tied with Drmic for fourth on the Mountain West’s all-time three-point list. He is 21 triples shy of tying Jimmer Fredette’s conference record and 25 away from becoming the first player in league history to make 300 three-pointers. He is averaging 20.8 points per game through four Mountain West contests this season. Jessup has scored in double figures in all four league games and is the only Mountain West player with three 20-point games in conference play. Jessup has made a MW-best 18 three-pointers in conference games, shooting at a 52.9-percent clip from beyond the arc.

Early line has boise state by 6.5. Take this bet and unlv all day long. Not only do I think bsu doesn't cover, I dont think they make a game of it. Every loss has been against athletically better teams and by significant points. We may make a game of it for a while,10 minutes tops, but won't sustain it. 

This is a pivotal game for UNLV's chances of drawing some fans back.

With a visit to Wyoming after this, followed by hosting SJSU, UNLV has the opportunity to get some breathing space before the brutal stretch that will follow that (UNM, at Nevada, SDSU, at CSU, at USU).

What the RunninRebels simply cannot afford is a double digit loss to kill the early momentum.  This needs to be a game.

A win would be a big step forward for our season but every bit as important is the way we play. Whether the Rebs can play a 40 minute game on the road against decent team is still a question. I think most of the stealth fans are waiting for the next sign that something is really changing. I expect to see a hard nosed Rebel team take the floor. I also expect to see Leon convince his team that in the 2nd half we will fold as usual. I don't see that happening to this team...finally. 

I wouldn't bet a nickel on this team against SJSU let alone a team with athletes.  IF, and it's as big of an IF as there is, they can actually make more than 20% of the gazillion 3's they launch then they have a shot.  But to bet on that is not smart.   Leon begging for fans to help them win (tsk, tsk)....when in the real world you win and the fans come.   Hard to fake genuine excitement.   I'm saving mine for next season already and just going to enjoy what they have this year as much as possible without any sort of expectation.  The Bronco core is still Jessup, Dickinson, Williams and Hobbs as it was for last season's 13 win campaign.

4 hours ago, Jaredcg said:

Boise is one of 3 man weaves best bet. These guys are pretty good.

One of the things he mentioned was Boise being 5-26 from 3 the last game. They were apart 3-15 the game before against Wyoming. That's 8-41 the last two games. I have a feeling they'll shoot much better from the outside. 

4 hours ago, roughrider said:

I wouldn't bet a nickel on this team against SJSU let alone a team with athletes.  IF, and it's as big of an IF as there is, they can actually make more than 20% of the gazillion 3's they launch then they have a shot.  But to bet on that is not smart.   Leon begging for fans to help them win (tsk, tsk)....when in the real world you win and the fans come.   Hard to fake genuine excitement.   I'm saving mine for next season already and just going to enjoy what they have this year as much as possible without any sort of expectation.  The Bronco core is still Jessup, Dickinson, Williams and Hobbs as it was for last season's 13 win campaign.

That could be written by one of us, minus Leon putting it on the fans. 

36 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Our new effort defense just took down 2 great outside shooting teams. Both wins were at home but I expect to see these guys just play tougher as the season goes on. I guess we’ll see in about 2 hours.

We should be good then since we've been a mediocre to bad outside shooting team the last 2 games. 😁

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I have no clue what to expect tonight especially after being embarrassed by the other Nevada last Friday. Hopefully we don’t make it a two fer. Leaving for the game in a few minutes. Hope the snow stays away until midnight. 

Do you want me to tell you?

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Boise women (with all the 4* recruits) were supposed to be damn-near top-25 good this year. Now they are 11-6 (3-2) with the loss to struggling UNLV.

Very disappointing season for what many thought could be the best team in school history. 

The win steak has been built on defense, effort and working the offense. All of those things travel, but we will see how old Leon and TJ match up as well as their teams.

Books say Rebs -5. I think this is a pick'em. Would be another statement conference win.