Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Places to Retire (worldwide)

Have to give it some thought but I agree with #1 on their list, Portugal is awesome.

Relatively inexpensive and because it has always been the most popular vacation spot for Brits, most of the population speaks at least a little English.

In no particular order:

• France - I could easily live in a small town in France.  The trains have such great coverage that you are not really out in the middle of no where.  I visited Senlis in October.  I could live there.
  • Columbia - I did some work in Bogota a few years ago.  I really like Bogota.  75 degrees year round.
  • UK - Coventry, York, Cotwolds, Edinburgh.  Just not London (nice to visit, but I could not live there).

As you can see, I am not looking to retire to the beach.

While I love to visit warm weather places I've no desire to live in one year around.  If I couldn't live in the US I'd retire in British Columbia or Alberta in a heartbeat and vacation travel to many of the places on the list.  I've been fortunate enough to have traveled a lot in my life and for me there is no place I'd rather make my homebase than good ole' North America.

42 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

While I love to visit warm weather places I've no desire to live in one year around.  If I couldn't live in the US I'd retire in British Columbia or Alberta in a heartbeat and vacation travel to many of the places on the list.  I've been fortunate enough to have traveled a lot in my life and for me there is no place I'd rather make my homebase than good ole' North America.

For sure.  I love traveling and have been all over the world, but nothing compares to how easy it is to do your own thing here in the U.S.  But if I were to retire someplace else...

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

If you could retire anywhere besides the US, where would it be?

I don't agree with this list.

https://internationalliving.com/the-best-places-to-retire/

10. Vietnam

9. France

8. Spain

7. Malaysia

6. Ecuador

5. Columbia

4. Mexico

3. Costa Rica

2. Panama

1. Portugal

---

My list would be:

1. Croatia

2. Ireland

3. Paraguay

some of these places seem too unstable politically and economically to take a chance on.  Clearly, Central and South America you'd get the best bang for your buck, but I'd be nervous committing to any of those places long term.  Here's a few others I'd consider:

South Africa

Italy

Spain

3 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

some of these places seem too unstable politically and economically to take a chance on.  Clearly, Central and South America you'd get the best bang for your buck, but I'd be nervous committing to any of those places long term.  Here's a few others I'd consider:

South Africa

Italy

Spain

How can you have concerns about political instability and then list South Africa as one of your top choices?

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

How can you have concerns about political instability and then list South Africa as one of your top choices?

I think it be a safer bet than any place South of Arizona, but I'll freely admit I've only been there once and I don't know much about its current state.  I was in Barcelona a few years ago when the Northern part of Spain wanted to split off.  That was unique experience for me and a little unsettling.  There's no perfect place.

2 hours ago, tspoke said:

Before I got down to your list my #1 was Croatia so was in agreement with you there. My favorite place I've ever been and wasn't too expensive at least 6-7 years ago.

Yeah.  You can buy a pretty nice place near the sea for about $300k.  6 hour drive to Milan or Munich or Prague.  Only 3 hours from Venice. 

I've also heard about (for people who like to travel) that a couple can retire nomadically on cruise ships.  Costs about $77,000 per year on average.

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yeah.  You can buy a pretty nice place near the sea for about $300k.  6 hour drive to Milan or Munich or Prague.  Only 3 hours from Venice. 

I've also heard about (for people who like to travel) that a couple can retire nomadically on cruise ships.  Costs about $77,000 per year on average.

It would probably be a short retirement, after a year or two you'd be pushing 400 pounds!

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Somewhere in southern Colorado seems like a nice bet 

Yeah. That would be a great spot to be honestly. There's even a valley somewhere down there that has a humid subtropical climate because of the unique topography surrounding it...that said...I used to always want to retire abroad, but these days, honestly, my dream retirement gig would be living in either Northern New Mexico or Western Colorado somewhere and raising grapes. . There's a ton of awesome spots over there.

I've got my spot picked out for retirement in San Luis Obispo County, CA. If it were outside of the USA, I'd probably do it in the Azores (below). I've been there and it's beautiful. 

Image result for azores

2 minutes ago, crixus said:

I've already got my spot picked for retirement in San Luis Obispo County, California. But if it were outside of the USA I'd probably do it in the Azores. I've been there and it's very beautiful. 

Image result for azores

You thinking Pismo area?

On 1/7/2020 at 6:27 PM, DestinFlPackfan said:

You thinking Pismo area?

Very close, Morro Bay. B)