Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Rocky Long looking to leave SDSU?

2 hours ago, aztech said:

The way I see it, we replaced our legendary coach Steve Fisher.  We seem to be doing better with his followup.  The same can happen in football.  

One of the silliest statements I’ve read on here in some time and I’ve read some doozies.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

3 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

That's an assumption I wouldn't necessarily get comfortable with.

Hoke could hit the bricks tomorrow.  He must be on someone's short list.

This may have something to do with wanting an extension that isn't forthcoming.  He had yet another10 win season and the entire community (to include the alumni) let out a collective yawn.

Don Coryell spoiled San Diego football fans. Not even the LT, Gates, Rivers era generated as much excitement.

Winning a couple of conference titles and having a stellar defense is pretty ho hum stuff in Sandy Eggo.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

6 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

That and the fans expected more. He went 1-4 in bowl games and couldn't make it to a CCG. Rocky also said he could not make over the hump with the type of recruits he could bring to Albuquerque.

I am guessing he was right.

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Helton barely survived this season.  Not sure why Rocky would want to go to USC when Helton is on the hot seat.  If Rocky went to USC he could be out of a job as soon as next season.  But you're right, would be an asset to Helton.

He could also find himself being promoted to HC right after an unsatisfactory spring game as well. It's USC and stranger things have happened.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Fans blow. Bitch, bitch, complain and more bitching. It would get very old to have people who have never played or coached the game in your grill all day. This guy reminds me of Ault because if he wanted more money he wouldn’t be there. He coaches because he likes  loves to coach. 

fify

Americans Mayor

I don't know if this is Twitter doing what Twitter does best or if he really has decided to move on.

On the whole, most successful head coaches move on around the ten year mark. Different challenges, time for new scenery, whatever.

At the same time, my initial response was, "I'll be damned. The Dean of MW coaches." If he had accomplished these things in a P5 conference at historical losing programs, they would put him the HoF, name football fields and babies after him.

Pure Rocky Long :

Asked what happens if teams inquire about his status or interest, Long said he follows a simple rule.

“If it’s somebody I know I answer the phone call and I listen to what they have to say and react accordingly,” he said. “… “If it’s someone that I don’t know, I don’t answer the phone.”

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, aztech said:

The way I see it, we replaced our legendary coach Steve Fisher.  We seem to be doing better with his followup.  The same can happen in football.  

He wasn't really replaced, it's not like they had to go searching to replace a legend like UNLV has been trying to do with Tark the last 30 years. Steve Fisher's right hand man of over 30 years just stepped in. Fisher's brand of basketball was an institution that Dutcher was instrumental in creating. Now like I've always said about guys like Craig Neal and Dave Rice: BEWARE hiring career assistants that never had ambitions of being a head coach for 15+ years of their career because it could mean they don't have what it takes to be "the guy". But over the last 5-10 years of his career, Fisher became more advanced in age and it seemed apparent that Dutcher was "the guy" running the show just as much, if not more than Fisher.....I've stood by this since even before Fisher retired. 

Good coaches are hard to find, and SDSU was damn lucky to find old farts like Rocky Long and Steve Fisher to stick around for as long as they did demanding well below market-value salary for their respective success. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

"Of the six conference counterparts ahead of him, (in salary),  five are significantly so, based on USA Today’s research. Five, at Wyoming, Colorado State, Boise State, Fresno State and UNLV, all earn at least $1.5 million annually. That relegates Long, a conference bully since he landed, to at least a No. 88 afterthought nationally."

Bang for the buck ?

Thank God Rocky has never been driven by money or fame ?

Outside of Boise, how do these schools justify paying for the results they have received in the same time frame ?

Americans Mayor

13 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

"Of the six conference counterparts ahead of him, (in salary),  five are significantly so, based on USA Today’s research. Five, at Wyoming, Colorado State, Boise State, Fresno State and UNLV, all earn at least $1.5 million annually. That relegates Long, a conference bully since he landed, to at least a No. 88 afterthought nationally."

Bang for the buck ?

Thank God Rocky has never been driven by money or fame ?

Outside of Boise, how do these schools justify paying for the results they have received in the same time frame ?

I'd gladly pay it for Wyoming.  Bohl's record may not reflect a huge amount of growth yet, but this is the best shape the program has been in, in years.  I bitch about the offense and it is damn frustrating to watch, but Bohl has increased the talent and depth on the team.  It took him awhile to get that built after DC and there was a huge scheme switch from the spread to Bohl's power attack.  I am hoping that the best part of Bohl's tenure is yet to come.  Their pay grade is just the cost of doing business anymore in football and is still dwarfed by the P5.  

"Damn Fans" part two, electric boogaloo?

10 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Back to Brady Hoke I guess? 

Rocky going from Ocean Beach to Syracuse is quite the change.

It’s very very possible that Long had a conversation with Hoke that he was looking to leave soon and the position job would be very temporary. I’ll bet that’s what happened. And it explains why you haven’t seen Hoke’s name going after any HC jobs. At least I haven’t seen any. 

kat.jpg

Just read that Rocky is back in San Diego and said he spoke with the AD and is still the HC. 

So maybe he just went out there to check it out being that he is being pressured to change up his staff?

I don't think we've heard the last of this.

5 hours ago, aztech said:

Are you nuts? There is no head coach in waiting! This just cannot happen. And dont even mention Hoke, who would be a disaster. 

1 hour ago, Aztecfan1 said:

Are you nuts? There is no head coach in waiting! This just cannot happen. And dont even mention Hoke, who would be a disaster. 

and you know this how?

1 hour ago, Aztecfan1 said:

Why would Hoke be a disaster?  He brought your program back to life about a decade ago.