Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Rocky Long looking to leave SDSU?

18 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

My question is, how much of this was Long’s choice? Hoke was sitting right there, I’m wondering if he knew he was being cut loose so was out shopping around. 

From what I heard, it felt to me like Long wanted Hoke back. It seems like Rocky may have seen this coming and wanted to be able to hand the reins to Hoke.

1 hour ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Being a D1 head coach is a high-stress job and Rocky's probably taken some unreasonable heat from fans.    

If Rocky can't handle the "heat" from SDSU fans ..........................

1 hour ago, battle.borne said:

Win 10 games. Dominate bowl opponent. Spend most of season in top 25.  Then get shit from worthless administrators about his staff? What a Mesa shitshow.

Did you see SDSU's offense this year.

8 minutes ago, MWC said:

Did you see SDSU's offense this year.

I’m with bb.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

14 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

I’m with bb.

Of course.  You just need to be able to score 20 points and you can beat SDSU.  It sounds like Rocky is pretty unreasonable here.  The offense was atrocious, and he had said as much himself.  I don't know a single Aztec who didn't support Rocky's defense, but everyone in America knew our offense was predicated on praying we had NFL talent in the backfield.  

I just hope that Hoke doesn't get hired away, and that he can find the balance between defense and offense.

36 minutes ago, Ram Allegiance said:

From what I heard, it felt to me like Long wanted Hoke back. It seems like Rocky may have seen this coming and wanted to be able to hand the reins to Hoke.

We'll know if Rocky has a press conference.  Did he have one when he left UNM?  He wears his emotion on his sleeves.

Has Rocky ever fired/replaced one of his staff?  He lobbied hard last year for them to all get raises in lieu of his own raise, IIRC.  He's really loyal to his staff and I agree with those who have speculated that he'd rather resign than give one of his staff their walking papers.

6 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Of course.  You just need to be able to score 20 points and you can beat SDSU.  

17 seemed to be the Aztec O over/under. On their three losses they totalled 18, 13, and 11 points. Against defenses that were giving up 25+ per game.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

8 minutes ago, nielsbohr said:

Has Rocky every fired/replaced one of his staff?  He lobbied hard last year for them to all get raises in lieu of his own raise, IIRC.  He's really loyal to his staff and I agree with those who have speculated that he'd rather resign than give one of his staff their walking papers.

Hmm. So you’re saying he would rather they ALL lost their jobs?

14 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Of course.  You just need to be able to score 20 points and you can beat SDSU.  It sounds like Rocky is pretty unreasonable here.  The offense was atrocious, and he had said as much himself.  I don't know a single Aztec who didn't support Rocky's defense, but everyone in America knew our offense was predicated on praying we had NFL talent in the backfield.  

I just hope that Hoke doesn't get hired away, and that he can find the balance between defense and offense.

At the G5 level, you don’t force a guy out who has just won you 10 games, unless there’s something else going on (recruiting violations or whatever).  Working with him on a reasonable offensive change is ok, pressuring him till he walks is not.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

21 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

17 actually :ph34r:

edit: oh damn, @Spaztecs beat me to it.

5 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Hmm. So you’re saying he would rather they ALL lost their jobs?

I get what you're saying but I think Rocky is a guy who sticks to his principles.

21 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

At the G5 level, you don’t force a guy out who has just won you 10 games, unless there’s something else going on (recruiting violations or whatever).  Working with him on a reasonable offensive change is ok, pressuring him till he walks is not.

10 wins, but mostly against sub .500, with no conference title or division title.  Solely because of a recurring theme of one aspect of a football game.  The reasonable offensive change is exactly what he refused to change.  

Nobody ran off Rocky. That is strictly ridiculous. Athletic director is not that kind a guy, he would be remiss in his duties if he didn't bring up the problem of the terrible offense. I don't think he told Rocky to fire anyone. Rocky has been really grumpy and tired of people's heads off in press conferences for more than a year. Yes everything to do would rather be a defensive coordinator than a head coach. I don't think he needs that kind of pressure on himself but he still enjoys coaching.
Most likely not much is going to change anyway the defensive coordinator and staff will stay on running the same defense. They will certainly be some changes in the offensive staff but that has to happen. Brady's philosophy and outlook are pretty much identical to Rocky's.
You also have to remember that the AD has now got a new stadium in the works and he needs to fill it with fans. Having the worst offenses in the country even if you go 10 and  3makes that hard. If just discussing his these issues with Rocky makes you want to move well then so be it. The program will be in good hands for the time being.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche