Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Rocky Long looking to leave SDSU?

51 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

They are typically looking to climb ladders, though.  From SDSU HC to a middling ACC DC seems lateral.

Or retiring. 

When super tenured coaches quit or retire it almost never ends well....Snyder (first time), Ault, Lubick, Beamer, etc

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

JD Wicker our AD basically made this statement about 30 minutes ago:  It is a paraphrase, but it goes something like this, each year Rocky Long travels to different schools throughout the country to talk with other programs about his 3-3-5 defense.  In addition, every year the he sits down with Rocky and all coaches in the athletic department to discuss how to make their program better.   We are currently in the process of the annual football program review as I speak,  and Rocky is the head coach at SDSU and will continue to be as long as he wants to be.

3 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

Generally when super tenured coaches leave like this it's because they know their team is going to be trash the next year.

SDSU for 3-9?

Ot with Hoke already in position. The staffShouldn’t fluctuate as much either, even with Rocky leaving. At the most, Their drop would be To just above 500. TheydtStill be a bowl eligible team. 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

3 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Well that would be disappointing, but glad Hoke is back on The Mesa should RL bolt for greener pastures. 

That's an assumption I wouldn't necessarily get comfortable with.

Hoke could hit the bricks tomorrow.  He must be on someone's short list.

This may have something to do with wanting an extension that isn't forthcoming.  He had yet another10 win season and the entire community (to include the alumni) let out a collective yawn.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

47 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Translation: Rocky isn’t happy, we aren’t going to do much about it. We want him to stay but on our terms. Next move is up to him.

So coaches never travel to talk schemes with other coaches??

It happens all off season.

This makes more sense now.

5 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Rocky would be a great get for Helton for a lot of reasons.  Great DC but also a seasoned coach who could help him along the way among others.

Helton barely survived this season.  Not sure why Rocky would want to go to USC when Helton is on the hot seat.  If Rocky went to USC he could be out of a job as soon as next season.  But you're right, would be an asset to Helton.

5 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Back to Brady Hoke I guess? 

Rocky going from Ocean Beach to Syracuse is quite the change.

It is an amazing change unless he likes several feet of snow and is a ski enthusiast. How old is Rocky now? He must be close to 70.

1 hour ago, aztech said:

The way I see it, we replaced our legendary coach Steve Fisher.  We seem to be doing better with his followup.  The same can happen in football.  

How have you done better with Fishers replacement yet?  I know you guys are excited for how this year has been but you haven't advanced in the tourney yet.  Making a sweet sixteen isn't easy.  Dutcher has a good shot to get there, but let's make him actually accomplish some things before you put him over Fisher.  Plus he would need to do it multiple years.  That is even tougher. 

1 hour ago, aztech said:

The way I see it, we replaced our legendary coach Steve Fisher.  We seem to be doing better with his followup.  The same can happen in football.  

Fisher is a top 30 coach all time. Dutcher isn't close to his level yet. 

9 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

How have you done better with Fishers replacement yet?  I know you guys are excited for how this year has been but you haven't advanced in the tourney yet.  Making a sweet sixteen isn't easy.  Dutcher has a good shot to get there, but let's make him actually accomplish some things before you put him over Fisher.  Plus he would need to do it multiple years.  That is even tougher. 

Not to mention that Fisher practically built that program from nothing. Aztec Basketball was about at the level of Northridge or Bakersfield State or something when he showed up. Didn't stay that way long, though. Hell, the SDSU faithful was ready to fire Dutch after last year. He's done a hell of a job this year but dude still needs to deliver more before it can be said he "exceeded Fisher' there.

5 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

This, and we can't keep his salary and promote Hoke.  

Why couldn't SDSU keep his salary and promote Hoke to the 800-900k range as HC?  That is still cheap even by MWC standards for a HC and top coordinator.  

Fans blow. Bitch, bitch, complain and more bitching. It would get very old to have people who have never played or coached the game in your grill all day. This guy reminds me of Ault because if he wanted more money he wouldn’t be there. He coaches because he likes to coach. 

5 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

Brady Hoke on the staff already so...

Brady Hoke?

The same guy who ruined Michigan?

is this a good thing? I thought he was dead. I think he interviewed for the ECU job when Montgomery got it.

There’s gotta be more contemporary coaching talent that would be interested in the gig.