Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Now #5 in ESPN Power Rankings: "Just How Good is San Diego State?"

Movin' on up, just like George and Weezy.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-05-at-7-23-09-PM.png

Nice long feature article on the Aztecs, which ends with this -

"Here's my take: San Diego State is good enough to hover around the top five for the rest of the season and push for a 1-seed on Selection Sunday."

Link

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

30 minutes ago, bitteraztec said:

This has been an especially fun this year since nobody saw this coming.

And because there are no dominant teams this year. SDSU is a legitimate national title contender.

Dont screw it up like we did last year. I’d love to see a mw team go past the sweet 16 for the first time ever.

Don't get your hopes up to high.

The committee has a way of putting these kind of teams into a tough bracket in places like Greensboro. If history has shown me anything, it's that the elite teams get favorable brackets in their own backyard. The up and comers go to Providence.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

42 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

The committee has a way of putting these kind of teams into a tough bracket in places like Greensboro. If history has shown me anything, it's that the elite teams get favorable brackets in their own backyard. The up and comers go to Providence.

The top 5(?) seeds are historically regionally protected, Provided we keep the Mo going, while we may not edge out the Zags for the #1 seed, every metric (save for KenPom, which is still relying on a fair amount of last year's data) places us as a regionally-protected seed. 

We would have to royally shit the bed at this point (see: Nevada, 2018-2019) to get shipped up river to BFE.

Let's see where the Aztecs are after conference play.  I have a feeling 14-4 will be their record.  That will draw a good seed in the tournament, but far from a top seed.  Still, it is nice to see a MWC team with that high of a ranking right now.  It'll be a nice win for the Rebels in a few weeks :banana:

1 minute ago, Poster17 said:

Let's see where the Aztecs are after conference play.  I have a feeling 14-4 will be their record.  That will draw a good seed in the tournament, but far from a top seed.  Still, it is nice to see a MWC team with that high of a ranking right now.  It'll be a nice win for the Rebels in a few weeks :banana:

I forgot just how good the drugs are in Vegas.

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

If USD doesn't beat the Zags...then they'll probably be #1 out West...but...if we don't get beat in WY...then I think the Aztecs are a solid 2 seed in the West also...if they get Sacramento...fans can get there...win...win...Staples Center...full of Aztecs...home game...I don't know if this scenario will play out...lots of obstacles and unknown events between here and there...but...at this point it is a probable scenario...that in itself is still tripping me out.....

Beware Aztec fans. We were all saying the same things about Nevada at this time last year. However, Nevada was showing some warts (poor shooting) that SDSU hasn’t so far. Also, Musselman refused to use his bench much and ran the starters into the ground by tournament time. SDSU has a lot more depth and Dutcher is wisely using it

Its still a long season and injury to a key player like Flynn or players can change things in a heart beat. I’d like to see them go through the season unscathed and far into the NCAA tournament as it helps the MWC profile. It would help even more if the bottom half of the conference upped their games. 

Spoiler: SDSU is really good.

If they can avoid any bad MWC losses (which is realistically any MWC school that isn't USU, UNM, or Reno) they should be looking at a pretty easy 3 seed or possible 2. It feels like the committee really punishes top MWC schools for conference losses more than any other....Can probably thank UNM for squandering 3-seeds in the past for that.  I'd like to say UNLV can play spoiler, but TJ just doesn't have the depth or athletes in place yet. 

This is shaping up to be the season that SDSU finally breaks out of the Sweet-16. The 2010/11 team was Final Four worthy if they didn't run into white-hot UCONN in the Dance that year. I think anything less than a Elite Eight for this squad would be a let-down. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

56 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Spoiler: SDSU is really good.

If they can avoid any bad MWC losses (which is realistically any MWC school that isn't USU, UNM, or Reno) they should be looking at a pretty easy 3 seed or possible 2. It feels like the committee really punishes top MWC schools for conference losses more than any other....Can probably thank UNM for squandering 3-seeds in the past for that.  I'd like to say UNLV can play spoiler, but TJ just doesn't have the depth or athletes in place yet. 

This is shaping up to be the season that SDSU finally breaks out of the Sweet-16. The 2010/11 team was Final Four worthy if they didn't run into white-hot UCONN in the Dance that year. I think anything less than a Elite Eight for this squad would be a let-down. 

Considering I first started watching Aztec Basketball when they were still playing in Peterson Gym, trying to wrap my head around about an Elite Eight appearance is quite a stretch :D

2 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Considering I first started watching Aztec Basketball when they were still playing in Peterson Gym, trying to wrap my head around about an Elite Eight appearance is quite a stretch :D

Me too. Tony Gwynn and Joel Kramer. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 1/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, bookworm said:

Congrats, Aztecs! You guys are the class of the conference and perhaps the whole entire west coast. I wish the Zags was in our conference and we could have settle this....

Aztecs are 2-1 versus the Zags since 2010.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

12 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Really? Because both tournaments in which SDSU was deserving they got very favorable geographical draws. Tucson and Anaheim as a 2-seed in 2011; Spokane and Anaheim as a 4 in 2014.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

3 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Heart, hear.

Damn, Peterson Gym ?

I also recall taking in a few Que games there as well.

Americans Mayor

11 minutes ago, albert mac meda said:

Really? Because both tournaments in which SDSU was deserving they got very favorable geographical draws. Tucson and Anaheim as a 2-seed in 2011; Spokane and Anaheim as a 4 in 2014.

Pretty rare air, there.

Getting the Duke treatment and all.

Americans Mayor