Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Targeting Cultural Sights

35 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Sure. So he can scare Iran into reaching an ironclad agreement which is favorable to the US rather than them just like Mr. Art of the Deal did with North Korea.

Something tells me that he and Khamenei aren't going to be sending love letters back and forth.

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

It would be whatever the best strategy would be to disable their ability to have is any further. Likely it would mean leveling any military related facility in the entire country but it wouldn't mean killing civilians in revenge. We're supposed to be the good guys remember? America the great.

If an American city was the target of a dirty bomb or a terrorist nuclear detonation the American public would scream for retribution in kind. 

War sucks and innocent people die. That’s the way it is and always will be. Terrorists have no desire to spare innocents. That goes against the very idea of terrorism. 

If it is state sponsored terroism on that scale then a proportional response is to level a city. 

I’m not saying I want this to happen. On the contrary I pray it never does. 

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

No country has done more to destabilize the Middle East than the US. It has been part of a generational foreign policy, upheld by both parties. We have never fought with our hands tied behind our backs. Iran is a direct result of this destabilization. So was ISIS. 

You fool. The Mid east has caused world problems since before we were even a country. This area of the world has been unstable for centuries. Our involvement should be limited to three things. Protecting US assets such as embassies, protecting commerce vital to our economy (oil) , and protecting our allies, (Israel). 

This Iranian General was passed all three. He was behind the attack on our embassy in Iraq, He has orchestrated attacks on Saudi Arabia oil facilities, and he keeps Hezbollah propped up to be a constant threat to Israel. He should have been killed years ago, but Obama or Bush didn't have the guts to do it. 

How would all you TDS Trump haters react if Trump knew that this guy was a threat to American lives and he did nothing. If we had been attacked you fools would criticize him for not doing anything with the same vitriol that you are criticizing him now for taking action. Hypocrites - all of you ! 

7 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

You fool. The Mid east has caused world problems since before we were even a country. This area of the world has been unstable for centuries. Our involvement should be limited to three things. Protecting US assets such as embassies, protecting commerce vital to our economy (oil) , and protecting our allies, (Israel). 

This Iranian General was passed all three. He was behind the attack on our embassy in Iraq, He has orchestrated attacks on Saudi Arabia oil facilities, and he keeps Hezbollah propped up to be a constant threat to Israel. He should have been killed years ago, but Obama or Bush didn't have the guts to do it. 

LOL. No it wasn't.

What's always funny to point out to provincial people like you is that the first country to recognize the US as an independent country was Morocco, an Arab/Berber Muslim country, and our Friendship Treaty with them is still the longest, unbroken treaty in effect in the US.

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

LOL. No it wasn't.

What's always funny to point out to provincial people like you is that the first country to recognize the US as an independent country was Morocco, an Arab/Berber Muslim country, and our Friendship Treaty with them is still the longest, unbroken treaty in effect in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

This area of the world has been a pain in our ass since we have become a nation 

8 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

LOL. No it wasn't.

If I'm remembering right, there's even a "funny" anecdote that Moroccan officials arrested Confederate diplomats for disparaging the Union. 

20 minutes ago, retrofade said:

If I'm remembering right, there's even a "funny" anecdote that Moroccan officials arrested Confederate diplomats for disparaging the Union. 

Sparked a whole diplomatic crisis as a result. So many strange stories exist that nobody ever talks about.

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Not to mention all the tribal infighting that has gone on for centuries

Yeah. It was constant pure and utter turmoil under the Ottoman Empire.

3 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

I understand it was a tweet, but do you?  I am not aware of any bombs dropping, so lets stop acting like it already happened.

Never said it already happened.   And Trump did more than tweet it.  He doubled down on it later in the day during questions from reporters.   It was a simple question about a trial balloon floated by Trump.   The only thing that matters to Trump is what his base thinks so that’s why the question.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

The Middle East has been unstable for centuries. As far as cultural sites, I didn’t hear many of you crying about ISIS rampaging across Iraq and Syria destroying numerous Christian cultural sites. And the leftist Obama administration didn’t seem to care much about it either. 

Yes, it would be a stupid thing to say or do, but I think this is more about your hatred of Trump than any Iranian cultural site. Incidentally the Iranian leaders are not your friends and would nuke us in a heart beat, if they didn’t fear the consequences. 

Excuses and whataboutism.  Standard fare for the Trump crowd.  Very few actually say “if he did that, it would end my support for him”.   Sadly the continue to prove they have no red line.

47 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I have yet to see many center to left people on this board complain about killing the general.

50 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

How would all you TDS Trump haters react if Trump knew that this guy was a threat to American lives and he did nothing. If we had been attacked you fools would criticize him for not doing anything with the same vitriol that you are criticizing him now for taking action. Hypocrites - all of you ! 

boy.  Talk about missing the point.  We aren’t criticizing Trump for killing the general.   The killing the General was within his scope as President. 

As if often the case with Trump he takes a legitimate position and extends it with illegitimate actions.  From defending the border to separating kids and parents.   From retaliation for the embassy to we shall see what’s next but he has certainly given us hints.   

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

Calm down and actually read what us Trump haters have said. Maybe I've missed it but not more than one or two have said the guy shouldn't have been taken out.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Do Persians even care about their historical cutlural sites? Haven't they shot the faces off all the statues with machine guns by now? 

"Their?" "They?"

My florist will say he's an Iranian citizen but he typically refers to himself as "Persian." I've heard him say many times that he loves his country and would like to return some day but with each passing year that gets more difficult as he now has such roots as a Thai immigrant wife and young son. It's clear to me he would take great offense to our destroying vestiges of Persian culture and I suspect he typifies Iranians who have immigrated to our country.

Since the revolution in 1978 or whenever it was that country has been run by steaming piles of dog crap. However, that doesn't mean all Persians are like that.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Just now, Bob said:

I made out with an Iranian girl in college whose name was Azadeh. She was +++++ing hot. 

Lol! Yeah many Middle Eastern women are gorgeous. Same for Indian women.

Hot my florist definitely is not. However, his Thai wife is very cute. Makes me understand why going on R&R to Thailand was considered heaven on Earth by soldiers during Vietnam.

BTW, after the many years I've known him my florist now considers me enough of a friend that he said something rather odd last fall. Dude's name is "Hossein" and he asked my opinion of calling himself "Jose." I asked why he would want to do that and he explained that Hossein sounds like Hussein to many Americans and they react badly to it. I replied that just shows how ignorant so many Americans are.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Do Persians even care about their historical cutlural sites? Haven't they shot the faces off all the statues with machine guns by now? 

Persians are proud of their historical sites.  They are also for more western than you might think.  Their government might fund the fanatics that ran amok in Syria, but the Iranian on the street is not trying to blow up the ruins at Persepolis.

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

LOL. No it wasn't.

I love the constantly recycled trope about the middle east and central Asia's (usually conflated for purposes of this analysis) perpetual instability and violence. Please.