Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

SDSU at USU

That's a good Aztec team - haven't watched them enough to know if they are better than top SDSU teams from the past, but they were solid tonight, especially without Mensah. The normal tough Aztec defense but with noticeably better offense. 

I was pleased with how USU played despite the loss. Shooting at our average for 3s and FTs would have made the game much tighter, but that's basketball. USU needs to go on a roll to be tourney eligible... I think (hope?) they have it in them. 

On a side note, outside of a couple of head scratching calls (both ways), I thought that was the best refereed game of the year. More of these refs and less of Dave Hall please! 

38 minutes ago, mondego said:

That's a good Aztec team - haven't watched them enough to know if they are better than top SDSU teams from the past, but they were solid tonight, especially without Mensah. The normal tough Aztec defense but with noticeably better offense. 

I was pleased with how USU played despite the loss. Shooting at our average for 3s and FTs would have made the game much tighter, but that's basketball. USU needs to go on a roll to be tourney eligible... I think (hope?) they have it in them. 

On a side note, outside of a couple of head scratching calls (both ways), I thought that was the best refereed game of the year. More of these refs and less of Dave Hall please! 

USU got more open looks than any of our opponents to date. Broke us down on more than a few possessions.  We really had no answer for Queta tonight, he just wasn't quite enough to put you guys over the top. Our guards were superior and Mitchell had his best game in a very long time. Smith will right the ship

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, mondego said:

USU just had the best offensive game of the year for Aztecs opponents (based upon PPP). USU scored right at 1 point per possession. All others were 0.xx PPP.  When you play against one of the best defensive teams in the country you can't expect to have your average offense.

T-Rank, a very good stats and ranking site, lists this game as the 3rd best offensive performance of the season for Aggies. They obviously adjust the numbers based upon the opponent's defense.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

3 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Have to admit SUDS looks tough to beat. Anyone think they can run the table in conference?

I will be surprised if they do. The target on their back is now much larger and is a glowing yellow fluo.

target GIF

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I put the jinx on Nevada last year. SDSU just passed their toughest test, but remember SJSU took them to the end so they aren’t unbeatable. 

It was because of the new Nike balls.

the addams family eye roll GIF by absurdnoise

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

By the hair of their chinny chin chin. How many times out of 10 you think Flynn hits that shot?

Ten

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, mondego said:

Not surprised by your comment.  The crew was Tony Padilla, Michael Irving, and Rick O Neill. Last month when CSU hosted CU, we had Padilla along with John Higgins and Verne Harris. I thought it was the best officiated game I’ve ever seen. Not surprising given that Harris and Higgins have both worked NCAAchampionship games.The common referee for both games is Tony Padilla who I believe has become the best official in the West. 

I can handle Dave Hall but I’m not a big fan of Randy McCall these days. He limps his way up and down the court and looks like he’s on painkillers.

incidentally, Verne Harris once gave he the heave ho from my own golf course. 😀

D064588C-C9DE-41E8-B4D9-C7D62771E041.jpeg

6 hours ago, AztecBill said:

USU just had the best offensive game of the year for Aztecs opponents (based upon PPP). USU scored right at 1 point per possession. All others were 0.xx PPP.  When you play against one of the best defensive teams in the country you can't expect to have your average offense.

T-Rank, a very good stats and ranking site, lists this game as the 3rd best offensive performance of the season for Aggies. They obviously adjust the numbers based upon the opponent's defense.

Very cool website that I'm going to spend way too much time on the next few months - thanks for the tip!

Am I reading correctly that SDSU had their best offensive game of the year (per ADJO) last night? Surprising that two of the top defensive teams in the conference had such poor nights defensively. 

5 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Not surprised by your comment.  The crew was Tony Padilla, Michael Irving, and Rick O Neill. Last month when CSU hosted CU, we had Padilla along with John Higgins and Verne Harris. I thought it was the best officiated game I’ve ever seen. Not surprising given that Harris and Higgins have both worked NCAAchampionship games.The common referee for both games is Tony Padilla who I believe has become the best official in the West. 

I can handle Dave Hall but I’m not a big fan of Randy McCall these days. He limps his way up and down the court and looks like he’s on painkillers.

incidentally, Verne Harris once gave he the heave ho from my own golf course. 😀

imageproxy.php?img=&key=15802cfa41edeff8

D064588C-C9DE-41E8-B4D9-C7D62771E041.jpeg

They really did do a nice job. There was a good flow to the game and I thought they let both teams play reasonably physical without going over the top. Easier said than done.

There are only a couple of referees I know by name (I only know when they consistently piss me off), and Dave and Randy are two of them. A couple years ago Dave went on a pretty epic rant about the USU students after a game... Not a good look for anyone involved, but that's the only time I remember a ref popping off like that: https://www.hjnews.com/logan_hj/friday-finishers-fans-out-of-bounds/article_e86f4bd0-d115-5acf-a492-0960e1eddeae.html

Maybe Verne wouldn't have had to toss you if you weren't being such a dick :D

5 hours ago, mondego said:

Very cool website that I'm going to spend way too much time on the next few months - thanks for the tip!

Am I reading correctly that SDSU had their best offensive game of the year (per ADJO) last night? Surprising that two of the top defensive teams in the conference had such poor nights defensively. 

Yes. Utah state had slight advantages in getting to the free throw line, turnovers, and rebounding percentage. The Aztecs win was all about shooting percentages. If you can shoot 50%, 40%, 80%, you will be hard to beat.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

Didn't get a chance until now to say congrats to the Aztecs. It was a hell of a game by them. I was super impressed with no-so-fat boy Mitchell, he looks like a different player this year. He played like he took this game personal (which I think it was for him after all the heckling he endured last season from Aggie fans) and he was one of the differences for the Aztecs. Flynn was about what I expected but the other guy that really came through for the Aztecs over and over in that game was Pulliam....dude killed us all night with made shots late in the clock.

About 3 pages ago a couple of Aggie fans pointed out that the Aggies are struggling mightily to shoot the ball, especially from 3. Merrill and Brito have been fighting through high ankle sprains for weeks and have no lift to their jump shot so they at least have a reason. The rest of the team though? It doesn't matter the opponent, if guys are covered or wide open, we can't shoot to save our lives this year. It's like something contagious that has spread to the entire team. Hoping for it to turn around for one game is false hope, this is just not a good shooting team this year. Hopefully the coaching staff comes up with other ways to get some offensive production from this bunch.

On the other hand, this may be the best offensive SDSU team I have seen since Kawhi left. In recent years you didn't have to worry about the Aztecs outscoring you in some high scoring affair, you just had to put enough points up against their tough D. This year there are multiple guys that can stroke it from 3 or hit mid-range jumpers. It's definitely not the typical Aztec team this year - they are good at both ends of the court.

2 hours ago, TrueAg said:

Didn't get a chance until now to say congrats to the Aztecs. It was a hell of a game by them. I was super impressed with no-so-fat boy Mitchell, he looks like a different player this year. He played like he took this game personal (which I think it was for him after all the heckling he endured last season from Aggie fans) and he was one of the differences for the Aztecs. Flynn was about what I expected but the other guy that really came through for the Aztecs over and over in that game was Pulliam....dude killed us all night with made shots late in the clock.

About 3 pages ago a couple of Aggie fans pointed out that the Aggies are struggling mightily to shoot the ball, especially from 3. Merrill and Brito have been fighting through high ankle sprains for weeks and have no lift to their jump shot so they at least have a reason. The rest of the team though? It doesn't matter the opponent, if guys are covered or wide open, we can't shoot to save our lives this year. It's like something contagious that has spread to the entire team. Hoping for it to turn around for one game is false hope, this is just not a good shooting team this year. Hopefully the coaching staff comes up with other ways to get some offensive production from this bunch.

On the other hand, this may be the best offensive SDSU team I have seen since Kawhi left. In recent years you didn't have to worry about the Aztecs outscoring you in some high scoring affair, you just had to put enough points up against their tough D. This year there are multiple guys that can stroke it from 3 or hit mid-range jumpers. It's definitely not the typical Aztec team this year - they are good at both ends of the court.

You have good insight with your last paragraph.  I always felt Fisher lacked an offensive system.  He only featured a go to guy in his offense.  So if he's shut down the team was as well.  It amazes me how many years Dutcher put up with what he saw.  He obviously learned what not to do as the HC.