Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Ohio vs Nevada

Remember Arroyo prefers to be paid in cannons.....I wish UNLV would have offered Sanchize the AD position. D69429_02_NewsCenter.jpg

Chris Ault was your Tarkanian. When I was growing up in Northern Nevada I was always amazed how fans underappreciated Chris Ault. I always thought "don't you realize this is as good as it will ever get for you?". 

My guess is UNLV will continue to slowly take over in football and hopefully get their S together in bball. 

16 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Incorrect.  While 8 points is technically a “one-score game,” you at some point need a 2-point conversion.  Go for it early.  If you don’t get it, at least you know what you need and can give yourself time to make it up.  If you wait to need it on the last possession, you are more likely to have put all of your eggs in that basket, and be going for it with no time left.  Ault preferred to go for it earlier, and it appears Norvell is the same way.  I agree with them.  Waiting to go for two is analogous to taking first possession in OT, insofar as the alternatives at least let you know what you’re going to need.

The reverse was a WTF play.  I don’t think there is any disagreement there.  You had overloaded the left side and had run Lee to the heavy side all game long.  Counter was there.  Run the counter, pull the guard as a lead blocker, and get 6 the simple way.

I will admit I wasn’t thinking about the FG during that last possession.  I was so focused on “TD then FG” that reversing that didn’t occur to me.  Norvell may have been thinking the same.

This is all right. Norvell butchered the 4th quarter, but the 2-point conversion early was the right call. Going for it on 4th and 9, when a field goal would be useful, was a miss. And the reverse, oh my, that was a bad call.

42 minutes ago, akbballfan said:

My guess is UNLV will continue to slowly take over in football and hopefully get their S together in bball. 

Ah, yes. ... Stage 1 of the UNLV coaching cycle. It's kind of a treat to be in it in both football and basketball.

forth GIF

22 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This is all right. Norvell butchered the 4th quarter, but the 2-point conversion early was the right call. Going for it on 4th and 9, when a field goal would be useful, was a miss. And the reverse, oh my, that was a bad call.

I didn't have any problem with the decision to go for the TD from the 9 yard line in that situation. IMO, the odds of scoring a TD from that spot were better than scoring from the ~50yd line with 0 timeouts.

I thought he should have kicked the XP and made it a one score game (then this FG/TD talk would be irrelevant). And I hate the damn "fade play" on the two point try.

And the reverse :frustrated::pullhair: :pitchforks: :shots:

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I didn't have any problem with the decision to go for the TD from the 9 yard line in that situation. IMO, the odds of scoring a TD from that spot were better than scoring from the ~50yd line with 0 timeouts.

I thought he should have kicked the XP and made it a one score game (then this FG/TD talk would be irrelevant). And I hate the damn "fade play" on the two pint try.

And the reverse :frustrated::pullhair: :pitchforks: :shots:

I don't know. 4th and 9 is a tough one to convert. With 2 minutes left, there was plenty of time to drive from the 50. Odds weren't great regardless. But the field goal at least extended the game. (We can talk about the play calls before the 4th down play, too.) And I don't understand the argument against the 2-point conversion. Chances are, you're going to have to try and get one. I say get it out of the way and know where you stand. Regardless, it's a judgement call more than an error in judgement.

And man, did we ever call a lot of fades. If Romeo Doubs was playing, maybe I could see it ... maybe. But generally a fade on a 2-point conversion makes zero sense.

36 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I don't know. 4th and 9 is a tough one to convert. With 2 minutes left, there was plenty of time to drive from the 50. Odds weren't great regardless. But the field goal at least extended the game. (We can talk about the play calls before the 4th down play, too.) And I don't understand the argument against the 2-point conversion. Chances are, you're going to have to try and get one. I say get it out of the way and know where you stand. Regardless, it's a judgement call more than an error in judgement.

And man, did we ever call a lot of fades. If Romeo Doubs was playing, maybe I could see it ... maybe. But generally a fade on a 2-point conversion makes zero sense.

The "fade" is certainly a pet peeve of mine. I hate it no matter who's running it, NCAA or NFL. Of course I don't know the statistics but my guess is that the fade play has about a 25% success rate.

15 minutes ago, renoskier said:

The "fade" is certainly a pet peeve of mine. I hate it no matter who's running it, NCAA or NFL. Of course I don't know the statistics but my guess is that the fade play has about a 25% success rate.

Coaches like it because it is relatively safe. It's hard to turn the ball over. It's typically either a completion or out of bounds. And it almost never results in a loss of yards, because the quarterback shouldn't hold the ball long enough to get sacked. But it is a low-percentage play, as you said, so it makes no sense on a 4th-down or 2-point conversion attempt unless you have a mismatch you know you can exploit (tall receiver against short corner, for instance). 

1 minute ago, akbballfan said:

Well I don't think the new bball hire is going to work out. 

Still thounlvwyo6_t600.jpg?42b0fb247f69dabe2ae440

I thought for sure we were going to get to Stage 2 — acceptance — way ahead of schedule. But the quick start to the Mountain West season has me thinking that Stage 1 will last for a little while longer. It's like a Christmas miracle.

6 hours ago, akbballfan said:

UNLV is always "just about to turn things around"

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

According to this, the fade pass from inside the 5 yard line is successful just 33% of the time. 

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

Do you know Mumme? Why would you say this?

Skier,I don't, I don't like his OC play calling and timing of play calling, maybe he's smart, but at least to me it doesn't show in his offense.If you like him great, all i want is an exciting offense again. 

I did learn that Mumme drinks White Claw. No wonder his offense sucks. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater