Jump to content
westfan

Ohio vs Nevada

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Shut up and get an offense. 

Bad enough to take us to 10-3 Reina.

New adds in 2020 will address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 5:11 AM, dshawfan said:

And if you kick the damn extra point and make it a 1 score game, then you don’t have to consider any of the above referenced machinations. Complete and total F UP by the coaches! 🙄

Incorrect.  While 8 points is technically a “one-score game,” you at some point need a 2-point conversion.  Go for it early.  If you don’t get it, at least you know what you need and can give yourself time to make it up.  If you wait to need it on the last possession, you are more likely to have put all of your eggs in that basket, and be going for it with no time left.  Ault preferred to go for it earlier, and it appears Norvell is the same way.  I agree with them.  Waiting to go for two is analogous to taking first possession in OT, insofar as the alternatives at least let you know what you’re going to need.

The reverse was a WTF play.  I don’t think there is any disagreement there.  You had overloaded the left side and had run Lee to the heavy side all game long.  Counter was there.  Run the counter, pull the guard as a lead blocker, and get 6 the simple way.

I will admit I wasn’t thinking about the FG during that last possession.  I was so focused on “TD then FG” that reversing that didn’t occur to me.  Norvell may have been thinking the same.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Incorrect.  While 8 points is technically a “one-score game,” you at some point need a 2-point conversion.  Go for it early.  If you don’t get it, at least you know what you need and can give yourself time to make it up.  If you wait to need it on the last possession, you are more likely to have put all of your eggs in that basket, and be going for it with no time left.  Ault preferred to go for it earlier, and it appears Norvell is the same way.  I agree with them.  Waiting to go for two is analogous to taking first possession in OT, insofar as the alternatives at least let you know what you’re going to need.

The reverse was a WTF play.  I don’t think there is any disagreement there.  You had overloaded the left side and had run Lee to the heavy side all game long.  Counter was there.  Run the counter, pull the guard as a lead blocker, and get 6 the simple way.

I will admit I wasn’t thinking about the FG during that last possession.  I was so focused on “TD then FG” that reversing that didn’t occur to me.  Norvell may have been thinking the same.

Wrong

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dshawfan said:

Wrong

Are you going to elaborate and defend your assertion, or just play the immature jackass wannabe bully little girl?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 3:45 PM, mugtang said:

I’m sorry this is happening to you. 

Oh, muggy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 7:01 AM, Rev McQuervo said:

Bad enough to take us to 10-3 Reina.

New adds in 2020 will address.

Mierda. Everyone knows, and that includes you, that your defense got that 10-3 record. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Mierda. Everyone knows, and that includes you, that your defense got that 10-3 record. 

No tonto, Dulce sabor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Are you going to elaborate and defend your assertion, or just play the immature jackass wannabe bully little girl?

While I agree with dshawfan this reply is a goodie.

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember Arroyo prefers to be paid in cannons.....I wish UNLV would have offered Sanchize the AD position. D69429_02_NewsCenter.jpg

Chris Ault was your Tarkanian. When I was growing up in Northern Nevada I was always amazed how fans underappreciated Chris Ault. I always thought "don't you realize this is as good as it will ever get for you?". 

My guess is UNLV will continue to slowly take over in football and hopefully get their S together in bball. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Incorrect.  While 8 points is technically a “one-score game,” you at some point need a 2-point conversion.  Go for it early.  If you don’t get it, at least you know what you need and can give yourself time to make it up.  If you wait to need it on the last possession, you are more likely to have put all of your eggs in that basket, and be going for it with no time left.  Ault preferred to go for it earlier, and it appears Norvell is the same way.  I agree with them.  Waiting to go for two is analogous to taking first possession in OT, insofar as the alternatives at least let you know what you’re going to need.

The reverse was a WTF play.  I don’t think there is any disagreement there.  You had overloaded the left side and had run Lee to the heavy side all game long.  Counter was there.  Run the counter, pull the guard as a lead blocker, and get 6 the simple way.

I will admit I wasn’t thinking about the FG during that last possession.  I was so focused on “TD then FG” that reversing that didn’t occur to me.  Norvell may have been thinking the same.

This is all right. Norvell butchered the 4th quarter, but the 2-point conversion early was the right call. Going for it on 4th and 9, when a field goal would be useful, was a miss. And the reverse, oh my, that was a bad call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, akbballfan said:

My guess is UNLV will continue to slowly take over in football and hopefully get their S together in bball. 

 

 

Ah, yes. ... Stage 1 of the UNLV coaching cycle. It's kind of a treat to be in it in both football and basketball.

forth GIF

  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This is all right. Norvell butchered the 4th quarter, but the 2-point conversion early was the right call. Going for it on 4th and 9, when a field goal would be useful, was a miss. And the reverse, oh my, that was a bad call.

I didn't have any problem with the decision to go for the TD from the 9 yard line in that situation. IMO, the odds of scoring a TD from that spot were better than scoring from the ~50yd line with 0 timeouts.

I thought he should have kicked the XP and made it a one score game (then this FG/TD talk would be irrelevant). And I hate the damn "fade play" on the two point try.

And the reverse :frustrated::pullhair: :pitchforks: :shots:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I didn't have any problem with the decision to go for the TD from the 9 yard line in that situation. IMO, the odds of scoring a TD from that spot were better than scoring from the ~50yd line with 0 timeouts.

I thought he should have kicked the XP and made it a one score game (then this FG/TD talk would be irrelevant). And I hate the damn "fade play" on the two pint try.

And the reverse :frustrated::pullhair: :pitchforks: :shots:

I don't know. 4th and 9 is a tough one to convert. With 2 minutes left, there was plenty of time to drive from the 50. Odds weren't great regardless. But the field goal at least extended the game. (We can talk about the play calls before the 4th down play, too.) And I don't understand the argument against the 2-point conversion. Chances are, you're going to have to try and get one. I say get it out of the way and know where you stand. Regardless, it's a judgement call more than an error in judgement.

And man, did we ever call a lot of fades. If Romeo Doubs was playing, maybe I could see it ... maybe. But generally a fade on a 2-point conversion makes zero sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I don't know. 4th and 9 is a tough one to convert. With 2 minutes left, there was plenty of time to drive from the 50. Odds weren't great regardless. But the field goal at least extended the game. (We can talk about the play calls before the 4th down play, too.) And I don't understand the argument against the 2-point conversion. Chances are, you're going to have to try and get one. I say get it out of the way and know where you stand. Regardless, it's a judgement call more than an error in judgement.

And man, did we ever call a lot of fades. If Romeo Doubs was playing, maybe I could see it ... maybe. But generally a fade on a 2-point conversion makes zero sense.

The "fade" is certainly a pet peeve of mine. I hate it no matter who's running it, NCAA or NFL. Of course I don't know the statistics but my guess is that the fade play has about a 25% success rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Ah, yes. ... Stage 1 of the UNLV coaching cycle. It's kind of a treat to be in it in both football and basketball.

forth GIF

Well I don't think the new bball hire is going to work out. 

Still thounlvwyo6_t600.jpg?42b0fb247f69dabe2ae440

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, renoskier said:

The "fade" is certainly a pet peeve of mine. I hate it no matter who's running it, NCAA or NFL. Of course I don't know the statistics but my guess is that the fade play has about a 25% success rate.

Coaches like it because it is relatively safe. It's hard to turn the ball over. It's typically either a completion or out of bounds. And it almost never results in a loss of yards, because the quarterback shouldn't hold the ball long enough to get sacked. But it is a low-percentage play, as you said, so it makes no sense on a 4th-down or 2-point conversion attempt unless you have a mismatch you know you can exploit (tall receiver against short corner, for instance). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, akbballfan said:

Well I don't think the new bball hire is going to work out. 

Still thounlvwyo6_t600.jpg?42b0fb247f69dabe2ae440

I thought for sure we were going to get to Stage 2 — acceptance — way ahead of schedule. But the quick start to the Mountain West season has me thinking that Stage 1 will last for a little while longer. It's like a Christmas miracle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, akbballfan said:

My guess is UNLV will continue to slowly take over in football and hopefully get their S together in bball. 

UNLV is always "just about to turn things around"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, renoskier said:

The "fade" is certainly a pet peeve of mine. I hate it no matter who's running it, NCAA or NFL. Of course I don't know the statistics but my guess is that the fade play has about a 25% success rate.

According to this, the fade pass from inside the 5 yard line is successful just 33% of the time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

According to this, the fade pass from inside the 5 yard line is successful just 33% of the time. 

Good link, thanks.

Fade-Routes-1024x577.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×