Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Ohio vs Nevada

Saw the end of it.  Oy.  Total fumblerooski. OTOH, Ohio kinda had it all every bit of the way.  I was hoping for End of Game real drama.  Nevada for the 3, then scrum for an onside kick.  That didn't happen.  Ugh.

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Just got back from the game. My impressions:

1) Elijah Cook is one helluva WR and will play in the NFL

2) Strong isn’t bad, but he missed some throws over the middle that would have gone for big yardage. 

3) Nevada needs to tighten up their defense to challenge Fresno and SDSU in the future.

4) Too many mistakes and head scratching decisions by Nevada cost them a shot at winning. 

5) More people for Nevada made the trip than I thought would come. 

6) The Nevada band and cheer squad are first rate

7) The weather was as good as its ever been for the bowl in Boise. Only about 10,000 in the stands if that. Too bad the locals don’t support it better. It may be time to drop it. 

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

Started at around -13 for Ohio and then I heard it when to -8 or -9 for Ohio. 

What? It opened at Ohio -6.5 and eventually moved to Ohio -10 at kickoff because of the suspended players and fired D coaches.

49 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Just got back from the game. My impressions:

7) The weather was as good as its ever been for the bowl in Boise. Only about 10,000 in the stands if that. Too bad the locals don’t support it better. It may be time to drop it. 

A 12;30 kickoff on a Friday afternoon makes it tough for many locals to get there. I get the weather could play into it, but I guess ESPN has it's financial reasons, none which helps attendance.

51 minutes ago, renoskier said:

What? It opened at Ohio -6.5 and eventually moved to Ohio -10 at kickoff because of the suspended players and fired D coaches.

I saw it listed at -13 on ESPN when it first opened. Maybe that was a typo, but that what it said. Like I said, I didn’t see the closing number but someone here said they saw it at about 8 before the game. 

kat.jpg

23 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

ouch.

Seriously some of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen in a single half. Multiple poor coaching decisions. Those Wolf Pack players deserve better than that.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Seriously some of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen in a single half. Multiple poor coaching decisions. Those Wolf Pack players deserve better than that.

i only saw the first half, but i think I actually hit the record button last night. I may watch it later, just because.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

i only saw the first half, but i think I actually hit the record button last night. I may watch it later, just because.

Ah, that’s right. I forgot you were going out to The Thunder From Downunder this afternoon. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Ah, that’s right. I forgot you were going out to The Thunder from Downunder this afternoon. 

Nah, had to make sure my girls were all ready to go, Big convention in town next week. $$$

I am all for kicking nevaduh out.

39 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I am all for kicking nevaduh out.

SAN! is 2-13 against us the last 15 meetings.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

ouch.

After some thought and how little time was left, the only call that I think may have been the right one was to not go for the FG and go for the TD. The mindless “Let’s extend the game” philosophy is flawed. The bottom line is you have to score a TD and FG to win. Let’s say we kicked the FG. We have to get an onside kick regardless. If we recover it, we’re just about in FG range and he already kicked a 57 yard FG this year and it would’ve been good at around 61 to 63’ish.

But instead now you have to score a TD with very little time and no timeouts. While you did extend the game, you also pretty much lost the game by making it too hard to score a TD to win. So if you really want the best odds of winning, you score the TD, get the onside kick, spend the remaining seconds to get in FG range and then win it on a medium to long FG.

If there was more time on the clock, then sure, kick the FG, get the onside kick, and then you have time for a drive with Ohio in a prevent D letting us move 5 to 10 yards at a time. 

kat.jpg