Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KingBronco

Now That USU and UNM Have been Eliminated from NCAAT At-Large Consideration...

43 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Assuming we get two (Hopefully three) teams in the tourney this year there in one thing that is certain, someone needs to make a deep run in the tourney. The MWC needs to regain the respect they had just a few short years ago. And I still think we need to add Olympic Sports teams. There is no more value to add on football. But BYU, Pacific, St.Mary's, Gonzaga... I was all in on the rumors of the MWC going to 14 or 16 in basketball.

Assuming Gonzaga had a genuine interest in joining the MWC, and that’s a big if, the conference should have done anything and everything to bring them on board including giving them whatever concessions they wanted within reason. It can’t be overstated the value they would have added to the conference. 

Keep all 12 schools in a football only MWC.

The  schools can then find situations that work better for them for olympic sports..

You cut down on travel, travel costs and missed school time.  That all really helps with the non revenue sports..

Any damage to USU resume from last nights loss can be compensated for with a win on Saturday. However, eye test says this is not a tourney team. Even if we get there, and that’s saying something, I don’t see us making a run. This squad just lacks the mojo that’s last year’s team had, and that even that team got run off the floor by a 9-seed.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

2 hours ago, roughrider said:

Amen.  It's one loss and it's in conference where upsets happen every year in all conferences.   USU can make up for it in their next game and be darlings all over again. Pollsters know about Queta and that he's injured, etc. 

I doubt whether he'll be 100% the entire season, since he gained 40 lbs as reported.  Are his backups better than he is at say, 80%?   

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Teams like Pacific and St.Mary's have to be frustrated with BYU and Gonzaga getting special deals with the WCC. Thompson should talk to St.Mary's. Get them interested. Talk to BYU. Let them have their home games on BYU's TV network. Give Gonzaga less of a choice to stay in the WCC. I don't know, just spot balling. I really like college hoops. And I am growing frustrated with the MWC and their basketball as of late. Bit they are not gonna expand on hoops. There just isn't any upside to it when it comes to the media deal. And the interest seems to of died down after the Gonzaga debacle. +++++ing Craig Thompson. 

The MWC shouldn’t touch St. Mary’s. How about Boise or SJSU or Fresno hire Bennett and the MWC leaves the tiny little schools in the WCC where they lie? Nevada has been there a done that with the WCC. 

6 hours ago, KingBronco said:

The most shocking thing to me about last night was how thoroughly UNLV dismantled USU. That game was essentially non-competitive the entire second half and the Aggies looked completely impotent.

As I'm getting up there in years, this word scares the hell out of me, any chance in the future you could use inept, lost, clueless, etc etc,  anything but impotent! :surrender:

Not so fast there, topic issue.  Utah State is only a few slots out right now (aside from autobids) and it's just the start of Conference Play everywhere. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/bracketology/

MWC will be 2-bid.   Utah State loses only to lofty Saint Mary's, really decent BYU, and ya, UNLV as a relative turd floater. 

The LSU win is bank.  The Florida win is bank.  Strong bank. 

Looming Colorado State and New Mexico wins Conference play are credible.  Taking down SDSU one of two times?  Oy. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

The MWC shouldn’t touch St. Mary’s. How about Boise or SJSU or Fresno hire Bennett and the MWC leaves the tiny little schools in the WCC where they lie? Nevada has been there a done that with the WCC. 

We wish.  Looks like Bennett will stay there forever.

14 hours ago, toonkee said:

I think at the beginning of the year, before any games are played, we should nominate three teams for bid consideration. All the other teams must do whatever they can do to get those teams into the tournament to support the league. The league!

judge judy eye roll GIF

Some solid dumbass logic there from @thatsmymammy

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

I wish Nevada was still in the WCC for basketball.  By far my favorite conference affiliation ever.

Losing the odd road game or two in conference play should not hurt their chances. Losing in the MW Tourney prior to the finals will put you out of the Big Dance.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

While I think we all agree that it's generally tough to win on the road in this conference, as far as at-large bids are concerned, one only has to look to the NET metric to gauge where a team stands.

After losing at UNLV, USU fell from #38 (at-large worthy) to #73. And losing at Sharta costs the Lobos a similarly precipitous drop from a bubble-adjacent #59 twenty-seven spots down to #86.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 1/2/2020 at 11:19 AM, Ibanez said:

Teams like Pacific and St.Mary's have to be frustrated with BYU and Gonzaga getting special deals with the WCC. Thompson should talk to St.Mary's. Get them interested. Talk to BYU. Let them have their home games on BYU's TV network. Give Gonzaga less of a choice to stay in the WCC. I don't know, just spot balling. I really like college hoops. And I am growing frustrated with the MWC and their basketball as of late. Bit they are not gonna expand on hoops. There just isn't any upside to it when it comes to the media deal. And the interest seems to of died down after the Gonzaga debacle. +++++ing Craig Thompson. 

The "special deal" the WCC has with BYU and Gonzaga applies to all schools in the conference.  In fact, St. Mary's will probably benefit more from the change than BYU (at least in the next couple of years).