Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Utah State at UNLV

Utah State University Logo  University of Nevada Las Vegas

DATE: Wednesday, January 1
TIME: 8 p.m.
SITE: Tarkanian Court, Thomas & Mack Center (18,000), Las Vegas
TV/VID.: CBS Sports Network (John Sadak, Dan Dickau)
RADIO: ESPN Radio 1100 AM (Jon Sandler, Curtis Terry, sideline: Steve Cofield)
AUDIO: UNLV Gameday App/TuneIn & UNLVRebels.com
STATS: Live Stats at Gameday App & UNLVRebels.com

Head Coach: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T.J. Otzelberger
UNLV Record: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6-8 (.429)/1st season
Career Record: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 76-41 (.650)/4th season

TJO is 12th on the UNLV career win list with 6 wins & is tied with Jay Spoonhour 

TJO needs 3 more wins to tie Todd Simon 

UNLV leads the all-time series 32-8

UNLV is 15-2 all-time at home vs. Utah State

Utah State has a three-game win streak in the series that includes an 85-78 win over UNLV at the Thomas & Mack Center in 2018

UNLV is 361-176 all-time vs. teams that currently make up the Mountain West

The Aggies have won three straight games and six of their last seven

The Aggies have started off Mountain West play 2-0 with a road win at San Jose State and a home victory in overtime over Fresno State

Utah State is 1-1 on the road this season

With wins in its last two games of the non-conference season over Robert Morris and Eastern Michigan, UNLV has a two-game win streak - its first winning streak of the season

The 15-point win over Eastern Michigan (64-49) tied UNLV’s largest margin of victory this season. The Runnin’ Rebels also won by 15 points in the season opener vs. Purdue Fort Wayne (86-71)

Eastern Michigan’s 49 points was a season low by a UNLV opponent and the fewest points given up by a Runnin’ Rebel team since holding New Mexico Highlands to 45 on Nov. 16, 2015

UNLV holds the NCAA record for most consecutive games scoring at least one 3-pointer. Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 1,084 games played

The 2019-20 season marks the 37th year of Runnin’ Rebel basketball in the Thomas & Mack Center. UNLV has posted an all-time record of 493-129 (.793) in the arena since it opened in 1983

Since the program’s inception in 1958-59, the Runnin’ Rebels have posted an all-time record of 1,294-575 (.692)

42 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Utah State -7.  I like UNLV in this one.  Utah State need overtime to beat Fresno State, who lost to a winless CSUN team missing Lamine Diane.  They also didn’t light the world on fire vs. San Jose State.

Yeah and beating LSU and Florida On neutral courts are games you should definitely exclude from your analysis.

BTW Queta and Kuba are both healthy for the first time this season. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

I’m looking for effort and defensive intensity. When it comes to W vs L I have no idea as we don’t really have an identity at this point. It is conference play though so “let’s roll out that red carpet”.

5 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

I’m looking for effort and defensive intensity. When it comes to W vs L I have no idea as we don’t really have an identity at this point. It is conference play though so “let’s roll out that red carpet”.

Anything can happen in conference.  Talent matters A LOT less than it does in non-conference play.

22 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Anything can happen in conference.  Talent matters A LOT less than it does in non-conference play.

Yeah I’ve seen a lot over the years but when one team is in the top 50 in most categories and the other is in the bottom 50 in most categories then the handwriting is on the wall. Play hard and show the discipline to stick to the game plan. No matter what happens tomorrow night just get better for the next game and the one after that. For those who can’t do that then next man up and continue.

Says a lot here but I’m going with the under.

When will we know about UNLV?

The Rebels face a good sampling of opponents in the first two weeks — home games against Utah State and Air Force, followed by road games at Boise State and Wyoming — so it shouldn't take long to figure out what kind of team UNLV is. If the Rebels go 2-2 during that stretch, it's probably a sign that this is a middle-of-the-pack team, just as they were picked to finish in the preseason poll. If the Rebels go 3-1 with an upset over either Boise or Utah State, then maybe this team is something to get excited about. If they go 1-3 or 0-4, you can pretty much move on to 2020-21.

https://lasvegassun.com//news/2019/dec/31/seven-questions-for-mountain-west-basketball-seaso/

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Utah State -7.  I like UNLV in this one.  Utah State need overtime to beat Fresno State, who lost to a winless CSUN team missing Lamine Diane.  They also didn’t light the world on fire vs. San Jose State.

Yeah and UNLV’s 5 Quad 3 Losses and 1 Quad 4 loss has me feeling slightly better about Utah State’s chances :waiting: