Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

Will Boise State bring in a J.C. quarterback for 2020?

Here's a link to a website which lists the top rated J.C. quarterbacks (and other position players) available and their current status as well as highlight videos for most of them (on their e-mail links)

https://www.gridironrr.com/teams/default.asp?u=GRIDIRONRR&s=football&p=custom&pagename=JUCO+QBs+Rankings

Personally I liked the QB from Snow College in Utah (Braxton Kerr)

So unless guys have transferred out it looks like Boise's QB depth looks like this with classes for next year (correct me if I'm wrong):

Riley Smith RS SO

Chase Cord RS JR

Zack Matlock RS SO

Hank Bachmeier TR SO

Wouldn't it be better to even out the classes a bit and get a HS QB and maybe a grad transfer unless you can find and absolute stud/guaranteed starter from a JC?

A. Zack Matlock is a walk-on who may or may not be back next season

B. Of course it would be better to have a more balanced group (class wise).  But unless BSU can get a grad transfer QB it won't be more balanced next fall at QB - which they may well do even if they do sign a JC quarterback.

C.  The actual depth chart next fall for BSU is more like the following:

1. Hank Bachmeier - True Sophomore

2. Chase Cord - RS Junior

3. Riley Smith - RS Sophomore (he spent the 2019 season playing very rarely as a Tight End)

4. Zach Matlock - RS Sophomore (if he is back as a walk-on next season)

5. Andy Peters - True Freshman (Walk-on)

The frightening thing about next season for Boise State, as far as quarterback is concerned, is this past season Boise State had all five starters back on their o-line and Bachmeier was basically bludgeoned repeatedly for the first seven games until he literally could not play any more (hip pointer).  Next season - with Ezra Cleveland leaving early for the NFL and three RS Seniors also leaving - Boise State will have only one returning starter on the 0-line next fall.  That being John Ojukwu (right tackle last two years).

On 12/30/2019 at 2:25 PM, Bronco7454 said:

The frightening thing about next season for Boise State, as far as quarterback is concerned, is this past season Boise State had all five starters back on their o-line and Bachmeier was basically bludgeoned repeatedly for the first seven games until he literally could not play any more (hip pointer).  Next season - with Ezra Cleveland leaving early for the NFL and three RS Seniors also leaving - Boise State will have only one returning starter on the 0-line next fall.  That being John Ojukwu (right tackle last two years).

Yeah but that is as much Hanks fault as anyone else’s. His pocket presence is not very good… At all. He holds onto the ball way too long and unfortunately has the same problem Brett had, he slides into the pressure. Jaylin played behind the same line and was phenomenal.

On 12/30/2019 at 2:18 PM, Bronco7454 said:

A. Zack Matlock is a walk-on who may or may not be back next season

B. Of course it would be better to have a more balanced group (class wise).  But unless BSU can get a grad transfer QB it won't be more balanced next fall at QB - which they may well do even if they do sign a JC quarterback.

C.  The actual depth chart next fall for BSU is more like the following:

1. Hank Bachmeier - True Sophomore

2. Chase Cord - RS Junior

3. Riley Smith - RS Sophomore (he spent the 2019 season playing very rarely as a Tight End)

4. Zach Matlock - RS Sophomore (if he is back as a walk-on next season)

5. Andy Peters - True Freshman (Walk-on)

Riley Smith was not listed on the roster as a quarterback.Riley Smith was not listed on the roster as a quarterback.

20 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Yeah but that is as much Hanks fault as anyone else’s. His pocket presence is not very good… At all. He holds onto the ball way too long and unfortunately has the same problem Brett had, he slides into the pressure. Jaylin played behind the same line and was phenomenal.

You are "preaching to the choir" by saying that to me.  I say the very same things yet other Boise State fans get ridiculously irate at the mere suggestion that Bachmeier is NOT the greatest Boise State quarterback ever.  To me he is - at best - an average quarterback.  Just like ANY quarterback who needs 219 pass attempts to get 9 touchdown passes.

However the Boise State O-line in 2019 simply was not all it was hyped up to be (pre-season).  With all five returning starters I think all Boise State fans thought it would have been a LOT better last fall.