Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Saturday Night Callout: WTF Fresno?

Up by 20 with less than 10 minutes left, only to let UC freakin' Riverside go on a 22-1 run to go up 57-56 with less than a minute remaining and win 60-57?

You guys seem to have taken a thousand steps back this season... wtf happened? :blink: 

Is Hut not the answer we all thought he was? We seem to be missing him less these days... is the honeymoon over in Fresno?

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

42 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

You’re only being a dick because SDSU is ranked, what happened the past 6 years?

I'm cool with the call out. Smith and Medved did more with less. If you watch the games, fresno looks a mess. Grimes has regressed and he was my favorite player last year. 

Here’s the Win Probability chart from Pomeroy.  Fresno was 99.5% inside of 10 minutes. 3rd worst blown game in D1 this season.  Thanks Bulldogs for making CSU’s blown 17-point lead to Arkansas State a touch more palatable.

3696F736-1E98-4002-982F-51E890F112EE.png

8 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Up by 20 with less than 10 minutes left, only to let UC freakin' Riverside go on a 22-1 run to go up 57-56 with less than a minute remaining and win 60-57?

You guys seem to have taken a thousand steps back this season... wtf happened? :blink: 

Is Hut not the answer we all thought he was? We seem to be missing him less these days... is the honeymoon over in Fresno?

¡GO HIGHLANDERS!

It's a super young team that is inexperienced and undisciplined so far. They keep jacking up low percentage shots instead of trying to control the game when they get a lead.

That's not to make excuses for any of them though, these types of performances just aren't acceptable, especially at this level. 

7 hours ago, thatsmymammy said:

I'm cool with the call out. Smith and Medved did more with less. If you watch the games, fresno looks a mess. Grimes has regressed and he was my favorite player last year. 

wut?

I agree about the rest of your post, but USU has an experienced squad, whereas fresno has a ton of freshmen, no? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying there?

33 minutes ago, retrofade said:

It's a super young team that is inexperienced and undisciplined so far. They keep jacking up low percentage shots instead of trying to control the game when they get a lead.

That's not to make excuses for any of them though, these types of performances just aren't acceptable, especially at this level. 

The Blackwell and Hyder injuries hurt them, Blackwell especially.  The strength on the team is in the forecourt and the current guards aren’t very effective at getting Grimes and Robinson the ball in good places.  Hyder looked really rusty last night.

It’s starting to look like Hutson is a great recruiter but maybe not that great of a game coach. 
He’s pulled in some really good talent (freshmen Robinson, Hyder, Hart) but not much going on Xs and Os wise. 

All I know is that Fresno has beaten the Aztecs the last three times at Viejas...or something like that...so I hope we beat the crap out of them...Fresno will bring their A-game in hopes of getting well against us ...but I think it's gonna be a beat down...Aztec fever is heating up...they just put in an order for extra bandwagons to accommodate the influx....

10 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

You’re only being a dick because SDSU is ranked, what happened the past 6 years?

No dipshit, but I am looking forward to roasting Hut and TES' traitorous asses on a spit.

Does Boise suck such giant donkey balls at hoops that you're clueless into the intraconference comings and goings of its coaches, or is that just you? :blink:

1 hour ago, BSC said:

I think Hudson game plan is fine,  Execution is the problem.  Seen this before.  Key is will Fresno improve as the season goes along.  Also can they stay healthy?  Being a young team is always a challenge.

WTF is a Hudson?

1 hour ago, Cincy said:

It’s starting to look like Hutson is a great recruiter but maybe not that great of a game coach. 
He’s pulled in some really good talent (freshmen Robinson, Hyder, Hart) but not much going on Xs and Os wise. 

What surprises me the most isn't so much the record/start to the season, but that you guys are ranked 144th in AdjDE - Hut hangs his hat on defense, and this seems uncharacteristic.

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

The Blackwell and Hyder injuries hurt them, Blackwell especially.  The strength on the team is in the forecourt and the current guards aren’t very effective at getting Grimes and Robinson the ball in good places.  Hyder looked really rusty last night.

Grimes is a beast.

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

Where is the inexperience hurting the most in your opinion? I would think Hut would be recruiting guys with defensive chops that don't require a ton of handholding to learn to guard on-ball well... is it in picking up assignments, help D, switching screens, etc? Or is it one of the less tangible downsides to youth and inexperience, such as how to hold your shit together and not close out a game on the wrong side of a 22-1 run?

Back when we had the fam together, the grumbling among the fan base was that our discipline was focused solely/primarily on D, with too much freestylin' on O. Do you see a similar lack of cohesion with the offense? 

9 hours ago, thatsmymammy said:

Grimes has been one of my favorite MWC players since I first saw him play. 

4 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Here’s the Win Probability chart from Pomeroy.  Fresno was 99.5% inside of 10 minutes. 3rd worst blown game in D1 this season.  Thanks Bulldogs for making CSU’s blown 17-point lead to Arkansas State a touch more palatable.

3696F736-1E98-4002-982F-51E890F112EE.png

That's f*cking crazy.

5 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Where is the inexperience hurting the most in your opinion? I would think Hut would be recruiting guys with defensive chops that don't require a ton of handholding to learn to guard on-ball well... is it in picking up assignments, help D, switching screens, etc? Or is it one of the less tangible downsides to youth and inexperience, such as how to hold your shit together and not close out a game on the wrong side of a 22-1 run?

Back when we had the fam together, the grumbling among the fan base was that our discipline was focused solely/primarily on D, with too much freestylin' on O. Do you see a similar lack of cohesion with the offense? 

Yup, it’s the freestylin’ on offense. A lot of passing around the perimeter and then jack up a 3 or force up a bad shot to beat the shot clock. 
Grimes likes playing on the perimeter more and Robinson (6-10) does as well. Both are pretty good 3 point shooters but we have no real inside presence. And all that leads to very poor offensive rebounding with little 2nd chance opportunities.