Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Boise vs CSUN

20 minutes ago, roughrider said:

He's got to mature a lot and figure out how to play team ball but Diane is right now a G-league all star.

Their entire team plays with zero discipline. They play like  noon ball at the Y

4 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Their entire plays with zero discipline. They play like  noon ball at the Y

Looked a lot like that (open gym at the SRC)  He could take more of a floor general leadership role but who knows if there's any other talent there that fits or how they're coached.  Still if I'm an NBA scout I'm all over his athleticism and skill and that translates to a future pro but his ceiling is the question.  

Kijab has been a huge addition to our team. He is a better scorer than many said. He takes some off the load off Alston. CSUN has some athletes, but we made them look bad today. I’m a lot more optimistic heading back into MWC play. 

Bronco fans better get their season tickets next year. This team isn’t bad, but the guys we have redshirting are going to push us up another level or two. Easily the best group of athletes Rice has ever recruited.

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Kijab has been a huge addition to our team. He is a better scorer than many said. He takes some off the load off Alston. CSUN has some athletes, but we made them look bad today. I’m a lot more optimistic heading back into MWC play. 

Yeah, it's pretty rare that someone is significantly better than advertised. I thought they were in the running for that 3rd place spot without him. They are squarely in position to win that spot with him. Especially with Caldwell and Bragg out at UNM for a while. Huge game in a couple weeks @UNR. 

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Diane went from 0 to 3 fouls in about 2 minutes

This was the game changer.  They put jorch on this guy and jorch did an incredible job. Drew his 3rd foul. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Would have assumed Diane was way too quick for Robin.   

ABU!!!   What more can you say. Just what this team needed for all the reasons mentioned above. Gives us much needed athleticism. He and Alston play well together. Those that said he was not a scorer were wrong. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Bronco fans better get their season tickets next year. This team isn’t bad, but the guys we have redshirting are going to push us up another level or two. Easily the best group of athletes Rice has ever recruited.

This team has enough pieces now that should be able to compete with the top third of the conference.

Next year, if Alston returns, will be an NCAA tournament year.

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This team has enough pieces now that should be able to compete with the top 3rd of the conference.

Next year, if Alston returns, will be an NCAA tournament year.

Yeah, if Alston returns (and he should), they could be a team that actually wins a game or two in the dance

Boise went on a run after Diane went out. 50-34 at the half. 

How in the hell does a school like CSUN get a guy like Diane? He'd start  for any team in the country. 

Diane knew former CSUN assistant coach Marvin Adams, who recruited him. I think Adams was a Reggie Theus assistant.

https://sundial.csun.edu/145618/sports/lamine-diane-remember-the-name

I wonder why he even came back for his SO year. He has NBA written all over him

He wasn't on any NBA mock draft boards.  Needed to improve on poor free throw shooting and bulking up. Mark Gottfried ain't a bad coach to play for, either.

Diane was suspended for the fall semester due to academics.  I'm a bit surprised he didn't pull out of school ala James Wiseman (totally different scenario, I know) and declare for the draft.  But if he continues to put up these numbers, he'll start getting listed on mock drafts.

I heard all kinds of stuff about Kigab.  I am surprised how athletic he is.  This will be interesting as we go back to conference play.  

My surprise is Jorch.  I have always thought he was a 5 player.  5 minutes to pickup 5 fouls.  His height was his only contribution to the team.  I heard about his improvement this year but have only seen glimpses of it.  But he was the man inside against CSUN.  Kudos to him. 

Jorch has always been a little under appreciated IMO. He's definitely not an elite player, but he's actually pretty skilled offensively and is a solid defender...he's not a rim protector but does a good job taking up space and has an incredible ability to draw charges. I would guess he might lead the nation in charges drawn per minute played.

3 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Jorch has always been a little under appreciated IMO. He's definitely not an elite player, but he's actually pretty skilled offensively and is a solid defender...he's not a rim protector but does a good job taking up space and has an incredible ability to draw charges. I would guess he might lead the nation in charges drawn per minute played.

Jorch is giving us better minutes than Wacker or Haney did. And Williams although undersized scores better than anyone we had in the post last year. Kijab gives us another good rebounder which has been weak at times. 

Im starting to feel a lot better about this team than I was at the start of the year. Kudos to the coaches for improvements since then, even without Kijab.