Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dshawfan

Don Imus passes

20 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

One quick mistake put a shadow on his career, but he helped the talk radio genre become a conducive place to discuss controversial topics.  A needed medium for many reasons.   Hopefully that can be the legacy remembered.

I was never a fan of the guy. He looked like walking death for a lot of years. This is hilarious from Wiki. Talk about off the wall life experiences for one person:

"In 1957, while living in Prescott, Arizona, Imus dropped out of high school and joined the United States Marine Corps at Base Camp Pendleton where he was stationed in the artillery division before transferring to the drum and bugle corps.[5][9] He left the marines with an honorable discharge, and secured work as a window dresser in San Bernardino before he was fired for performing strip teases on the mannequins for passers by.[5] Imus then moved to Hollywood with his brother in an attempt to find success as musicians and songwriters, but they struggled to get radio DJs to play their songs on the air. This left Imus homeless, resorting to sleeping in a laundry and hitchhiking back to Arizona.[5] After dropping out of the University of the Pacific,[8] Imus worked as a brakeman on the Southern Pacific Railroad and in a uranium mine in Arizona.[10] He suffered a mining accident that broke both of his legs and collapsed one lung."

Imus was a person that pushed envelopes, labels, etc. as if he were still in 7th grade. He would often talk as though it was just him and a few buddies drinking beer at his house with no one to hear any of it. I don't think he was a total racist, he just had tough talk about everyone and everyone has their own derogatory descriptions. He was from a different era where that's what everyone did.

These days, millennial's don't understand that just because someone gets mad at someone and calls them a common insult related to their gender, race, religion, etc., it doesn't necessarily mean that in their hearts they really believe what they're actually saying. Nor do they necessarily believe it's the case for an entire group. It's basically insensitive smack with the intent to land a blow and upset their target. That's what he did, he insulted everyone using the typical put downs of the 70's.  he tested the line and sometimes crossed it too far.  

I'd have to agree with Bill Mahr's take on it. If it's a comedian that crosses the line with any kind of comments that go too far, a sincere apology is all that's needed. Not suspensions, firings, etc. 

Interesting:

"In 2008, Little Richard appeared as a guest artist on The Imus Ranch Record to help raise funds to benefit sick and dying children, as well as to attempt to debunk the notion that Imus was racist."

kat.jpg