Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Eastern Michigan at UNLV

The cincy game inflated his stats. Without him we’d get blown out in Cincinnati. 

Hes a poor mans robotham, though he’s not as clutch or streaky as Robotham (who fortunately prevented  the rebels from having a completely lopsided OOC record).

Though I think it’s fair to say we miss eml for guard depth and his defense. 

The numbers will just have to speak for themselves. Consistent attempts to talk down everything about the new staff and team also speak volumes. Continually pick pick picking about the lack of production and then trying to make an argument about how one of the most productive guys on the team isn’t missed is just well...you know. 

I could start going into all of those other annoying stats but to what purpose. We all know where everyone stands. Some things may never change. 

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

The numbers will just have to speak for themselves. Consistent attempts to talk down everything about the new staff and team also speak volumes. Continually pick pick picking about the lack of production and then trying to make an argument about how one of the most productive guys on the team isn’t missed is just well...you know. 

I could start going into all of those other annoying stats but to what purpose. We all know where everyone stands. Some things may never change. 

Pot Kettle beef in 2020

The more thangs change the more they ......

13 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Looks like TJO is wanting to make the 2020 class bigger. 

Looking at his videos, seems that he's a spot up three point shooter.  TJO may see a need for another deep threat to come off the bench.  Also, could be a Winkinson replacement if it's looking like he's committing elsewhere?

20 minutes ago, RebelTexan said:

Looking at his videos, seems that he's a spot up three point shooter.  TJO may see a need for another deep threat to come off the bench.  Also, could be a Winkinson replacement if it's looking like he's committing elsewhere?

I would be SHOCKED if he’s given a scholarship at UNLV!  There’s no way that Otzelberger would displace any of the current players with him.  

My guess is he was offered as a walk-on.

20 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Never heard someone being offered to be a walk on. 

Happens all of time.  Florida offered a one-armed a preferred walk-on spot a few years ago.  Trey Hurlburt was offered a spot as a walk-on.

Either way, it’s a waste of a scholarship.

28 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Never heard someone being offered to be a walk on. 

It happens a lot in football (it's referred to as preferred walk-on), but you don't hear about it often in basketball.

The last one I remember for UNLV (basketball) was Louis Bangai - the first time he "committed" before instead changing to do a year of prep school in Pennsylvania.  Before that I think either Bush or Ballou was recruited for a PWO spot on Menzies' first squad.

16 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Happens all of time.  Florida offered a one-armed a preferred walk-on spot a few years ago.  Trey Hurlburt was offered a spot as a walk-on.

Either way, it’s a waste of a scholarship.

It’s never announced as an “offer”. Is it a waste of a schollie? Probably if you just look at the other schools offered. 

Bottom line, CTJO has probably 5-6 guys returning next season: 

C Diong

G Hamilton

PG Jenkins 

G Antonio 

F Wood

F Tillman (maybe) 

I just don’t see Hardy returning, clearly there’s a rift there. 

CTJO got 4-5 guys signed for next season. 

PG Nick Fleming (Juco transfer)

PG Donovan Yap 

F/G Nick Blake

PF Reece Brown

C Jayhlon Martinez

That’s 10-11 schollies there. Still room for 2 more and could add Wilkinson and a Grad transfer. Either way, it’ll be a deeper lineup with more length, athleticism that packs a better scoring punch. 

32 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

It’s never announced as an “offer”. Is it a waste of a schollie? Probably if you just look at the other schools offered. 

Bottom line, CTJO has probably 5-6 guys returning next season: 

C Diong

G Hamilton

PG Jenkins 

G Antonio 

F Wood

F Tillman (maybe) 

I just don’t see Hardy returning, clearly there’s a rift there. 

CTJO got 4-5 guys signed for next season. 

PG Nick Fleming (Juco transfer)

PG Donovan Yap 

F/G Nick Blake

PF Reece Brown

C Jayhlon Martinez

That’s 10-11 schollies there. Still room for 2 more and could add Wilkinson and a Grad transfer. Either way, it’ll be a deeper lineup with more length, athleticism that packs a better scoring punch. 

He’s added five freshmen.  He needs a grad transfer at point guard and center.

I think Tillman will be back.  He would’ve benefited greatly if his waiver was denied.  You could be right about Hardy.

19 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He’s added five freshmen.  He needs a grad transfer at point guard and center.

I think Tillman will be back.  He would’ve benefited greatly if his waiver was denied.  You could be right about Hardy.

I like the idea adding another point guard. Jenkins and Fleming will share those duties next season and Yap might be a good redshirt candidate, let him fill out more and learn the nuances of CTJO’s offense. 

Tillman might be a Europe pro candidate, make money over there. 

16 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I like the idea adding another point guard. Jenkins and Fleming will share those duties next season and Yap might be a good redshirt candidate, let him fill out more and learn the nuances of CTJO’s offense. 

Tillman might be a Europe pro candidate, make money over there. 

I don’t think there’s a chance in hell he goes pro. I think he will be back next year.  He’s struggling because the supporting cast is terrible.  Very few players can shine with a terrible supporting cast.  The only player I can think of who ever did in the MW was Josh Adams his senior year.

I think he will put up much better numbers next year just by virtue of having a better supporting cast.

If Hardy comes back, I have questions as to how that would work, but it’s a good problem to have.  Otzelberger is the highest paid coach in the conference, so he’s paid to make it work.

I don’t see Donavan Yap redshirting.  There’s a good chance he would be going to a school like Villanova or Texas Tech if UNLV wasn’t on him so early.  He’s killing it his senior year of HS.