Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Betelgeuse getting read to go super nova?

On 12/27/2019 at 2:41 AM, mugtang said:

Well, I guess technically it may have already gone nova since it’s 700 light years away.  But from our perspective it’s dimming and while that’s normal the amount of dimming is making some believe it’s getting ready to explode.  

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/12/betelgeuse-is-acting-strange-astronomers-are-buzzing-about-supernova/

If this happened in our lifetime it would be one of the most amazing astronomical events we could witness.  We would be able see it during the day and it would outshine the moon for 2 months. It could’ve already happened or it may happen 300,000 years from now.  But being selfish I hope I get to see it. 

giphy.gif

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

My biggest nerd moment was seeing the southern Cross last spring in new Zealand. Loved Orion in the winter, big and small Dipper with Polaris in Cub scouts when I was a kid. But seeing the southern Cross in a perfect cloudless sky was amazing...

18 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Very pretty night sky right now, with a crescent moon and what I assume is Venus is close proximity.

Jealous, u in Reno? Beeing snowing and cloudy in Denver but heading to the mountains this weekend to hopefully see some less cloudy skies.

26 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Very pretty night sky right now, with a crescent moon and what I assume is Venus is close proximity.

Yes, Venus.

Super clear skies in Vegas as well.  As clear as it gets.