Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

Your school's top moments of the 2010s

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Holy shite!!!!!!!!!! I’m not even close.

From the RGJ:

28 players that were on the field that night made NFL rosters. 13 from Nevada, 15 from Boise. An additional 20 players went on to make NFL training camps. So you’re talking 48 players were at least NFL training camp caliber. 

It really is remarkable. We lost at Hawaii (also top 25 that year) earlier in the year, so we sort of made our own bed in terms of BCS bowls. But I am convinced that both Nevada and Boise could’ve beaten either Oregon or Auburn, and that Boise was probably the best team in the country.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

It really is remarkable. We lost at Hawaii (also top 25 that year) earlier in the year, so we sort of made our own bed in terms of BCS bowls. But I am convinced that both Nevada and Boise could’ve beaten either Oregon or Auburn, and that Boise was probably the best team in the country.

That was a really great year for the G5. TCU, Nevada and BSU as top 10 calibur teams. Utah, UCF, and Hawaii top 25 mix with northern Illinois there as well.

1- USU’s comeback win over Hawaii, 2011. It all changed after this, a defining moment. Three decades of insufferable football ended that night on the rock. Everything the football program has accomplished this decade can be tied back to this game. Turbin was simply not going to be denied getting into the end zone with just seconds left for the W. 

2. Invitation to the MW, 2012.

3. Winning the final WAC championship in football, 2012, in OT over a ranked Louisiana Tech.

USU blew a 41-17 lead, but held on with a 4th down stop for the win in OT, 48-41.

4. MW b-ball co-champions and MWT champions, 2019.

Came out of nowhere to take the league when it was all but surrendered to Nevada at the start of the season. I think the close and competitive W’s over Nevada the Saturday before the tourney and over UNM in the quarters set the tone for the other two games, culminating in beating SDSU in the tourney final.

5. (Tie) W over Boise in football, 2015, and Poinsettia Bowl win over ranked Northern Illinois, 2013.

Seven first half TO’s led to a 45-10 lead at the half. 21 of those pts came in the final 75 seconds of the second qtr. Insane. Poinsettia Bowl win over a ranked NIU was our first bowl win as members of the MW. 

For consideration- Win over Nevada in b-ball, 2019. 

Worst moment- “The Project”, August 2010.

Never do business with the devil. But we did and tried to lure BYU to the WAC, but as soon as news broke about the merger in the morning, CT extended invites to Nevada and Fresno, which accepted, just a few hours later which not only killed the plan but set the WAC back even further. That gut punch feeling after all this went down is one I’ll never forget. To quote Denzel from Training Day- “What a m*****f****n’ day!”

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

If Kap hadn't tried to be fancy and stuck his arm out trying to break the plane of endzone and then fumble out of the endzone, we would've won that game. I also remember at the very end we were moving the ball well on a game winning drive, and Kap threw the ball too high down the middle of the field and it got intercepted. We had our chances. I also remember the game at Fresno that year and it went to the very end and we pulled it out.

In his 4 seasons as HC, how many of Polian's guys got drafted? I believe just 1, Austin Corbett in 2018 (2nd round, 33rd overall pick)
http://www.nfl.com/player/austincorbett/2561028/profile

I think Corbett and someone else made a roster, and a hand full of guys made training camps. Polian's recruiting was great in some areas, and dreadful in others. But overall it was decent, so he had the talent to develop some good players, but he and his staff just couldn't do it. Pretty embarrassing for him. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

An undefeated Nevada wouldnt have been in the BCS.  They were 15 with just 1 loss.  No way they get above TCU at 3.

And TCU had similar feelings regarding Oregon and Auburn.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

New Mexico

#5 Firing Craig Neal

#4 Firing Bob Davie

#3 New Mexico Bowl Victory over UTSA

#2 Receiving a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament. This was also the worst thing about the decade for UNM sports.

#1 It's been such a crappy decade for Lobo sports that I can't think of one memorable thing.

swedish-alfup.png

33 minutes ago, Swedish said:

New Mexico

#5 Firing Craig Neal

#4 Firing Bob Davie

#3 New Mexico Bowl Victory over UTSA

#2 Receiving a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament. This was also the worst thing about the decade for UNM sports.

#1 It's been such a crappy decade for Lobo sports that I can't think of one memorable thing.

NCAA title? :shrug:

Beating Nevada in the 2010 season and Kaeps endzone fumble to help being the co-WAC champ and have a national ranking under Mack.

Rolo’s 2016 year. Helped a team that suffered through the Chow years end in a bowl win

Rolo’s 2019 year. The initial recruits from 2016 finally got to witness what Rolo had set out on. Playing for more than just a winning season. Conference Division Champ but fell in the MWCG. But Hawai’i got the win over BYU which was an amazing game and the first time since Rolo sported the jersey back in 2001

Hawaii’s b-ball team reaching the 2nd round in the 2016 tournament. Farthest they have reached in a long time.

Being invited to the MW and Big West taking our Olympic sports. As the final of the original Fresno, Nevada, Boise and Hawai’i power schools. Always was on the outside looking in since the MW formation. To finally get a shot in the conference.

20 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Kaep, Tua, Mathews, Green made for a really hard offense to defend.  Kaepernick was more athletic then Josh Allen.  Yes,  I said it.  He even had a stronger arm before going Vegan and getting hurt.  Tua was much like Ian Johnson, not an NFL talent but one of the best football players in the country.  Mitchell at 6'5 and sub 4.5 in the 40, and Green being one of the most well round TE's in football that year.  Then on Defense Nevada had one of the best LB groups in college football.  Brandon Marshal, JMJ and Donte Moch was a LB trio that would be right at home in the SEC.  Then you had Williams and Frey in the back 4.

I would take that Nevada team over any AAC team since that conference formed. 

I didn’t have any idea that there were people out there that think Josh was more athletic than Kap. That’s pretty delusional.

On the pass rush we had Kevin Basped on one side as DE, and the other Moch. Then on 3rd down pass situations, Kaelyn Burnett would take a DE spot. He also got a roster spot with the Raiders IIRC. Too bad for Basped, by the time he was done at NV, he had ruined the knees and couldn’t pass a physical. 

kat.jpg

21 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Holy shite!!!!!!!!!! I’m not even close.

From the RGJ:

28 players that were on the field that night made NFL rosters. 13 from Nevada, 15 from Boise. An additional 20 players went on to make NFL training camps. So you’re talking 48 players were at least NFL training camp caliber. 

This is why people like @Did I hear a WOOSH? get laughed at for thinking the recent AAC teams are even in the same atmosphere as the great MWC/WAC teams.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This is why people like @Did I hear a WOOSH? get laughed at for think the recent AAC teams are even in the same atmosphere as the great MWC/WAC teams.

The only ones laughing are in your echo chamber.  You haven’t shown to be capable of seeing things without your blinders on, thus you have zero credibility.  I never discredited any accomplishment of your team or conference.  Of course that doesn’t matter to you, you just make stuff up, that’s what you do.  Great job in 2010, good luck in 2020.

4 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The only ones laughing are in your echo chamber.  You haven’t shown to be capable of seeing things without your blinders on, thus you have zero credibility.  I never discredited any accomplishment of your team or conference.  Of course that doesn’t matter to you, you just make stuff up, that’s what you do.  Great job in 2010, good luck in 2020.

Do you think UCFs national championship team would win more than once in ten tries against 2009, 2010, 2011 Boise, 2006 and 2008 Utah.  2008, 2009, 2011 TCU?  Doubt it, simply not enough  talent, speed, depth or coaching.

21 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Since you said, "...5 or so ought to do it, " I'll go with seven.

Seven years out of ten a certain Bronze Boot has resided in Laramie oughta do it....

I'm surprised no Pokes fan has mentioned Larry Nance Jr. and the 2015 MWC tournament crown.  He was drafted by the Lakers in the first round too.

lakers-nba-draft-pick-larry-nancejpg.jpg

Or the blessed one, Josh Allen

usatsi_10392418.jpg?itok=aG0_HN90

7 hours ago, RSF said:

An undefeated Nevada wouldnt have been in the BCS.  They were 15 with just 1 loss.  No way they get above TCU at 3.

And TCU had similar feelings regarding Oregon and Auburn.

Didn’t say Nevada would’ve. Just meant that we never had an argument 

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

If Kap hadn't tried to be fancy and stuck his arm out trying to break the plane of endzone and then fumble out of the endzone, we would've won that game. I also remember at the very end we were moving the ball well on a game winning drive, and Kap threw the ball too high down the middle of the field and it got intercepted. We had our chances. I also remember the game at Fresno that year and it went to the very end and we pulled it out.

In his 4 seasons as HC, how many of Polian's guys got drafted? I believe just 1, Austin Corbett in 2018 (2nd round, 33rd overall pick)
http://www.nfl.com/player/austincorbett/2561028/profile

I think Corbett and someone else made a roster, and a hand full of guys made training camps. Polian's recruiting was great in some areas, and dreadful in others. But overall it was decent, so he had the talent to develop some good players, but he and his staff just couldn't do it. Pretty embarrassing for him. 

I remember the Hawaii game well. I was there. Team never felt right, and Kap looked off from the beginning. Just one of those nights.

As for Polian , he was a perfect storm of mediocrity. He didn’t think he could win recruiting battles against bigger schools, didn’t have a great eye for identifying diamonds in the rough (Ault was a master at this), and wasn’t a good enough coach to get the most out of the underrecruited players he did land. However, he did recruit great kids who worked really hard.

21 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I'm surprised no Pokes fan has mentioned Larry Nance Jr. and the 2015 MWC tournament crown.  He was drafted by the Lakers in the first round too.

lakers-nba-draft-pick-larry-nancejpg.jpg

Or the blessed one, Josh Allen

usatsi_10392418.jpg?itok=aG0_HN90

Neither was Wyoming’s most successful college athlete of the 2010s.

That goes to this guy:

5aadd2735b70c.image.jpg?resize=1200,800