Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoState99755

New Coordinator & Asst Coach Rumors/Announcements Thread: CSU, New Méx, SoNevada & CSU-FresNO

On 12/24/2019 at 10:23 AM, GoState99755 said:

Corey Dennis                                         

Rumored Position at CSU:  QB Coach  

Playing Career:  Georgia Tech - WR/DB/ST - holds school record playing in 54-games

Current Gig:  Sr Quality Control Coach - Ohio St.

Coaching Awards:  24/7Sports’ "30 under 30 list" - recognizing the sport’s rising stars under the age of 30

Family:  Son of former Auburn & Georgia AC, and Troy AD:  Steve Dennis -&- Urban's son-in-law

UPDATE:  Dude's staying in Columbus to become the Buckeyes QB Coach.  Bottom-line:  his wife, also Urban's cute daughter & former GA Tech volley-baller, won't becoming home to Ft Collins.  :-(

Mike Yuricich, the guy Corey is replacing, is bailing on los Buckeyes to make more than the CSU HC as the OC for the Wronghorns in Austin.  That P5 $$$ sure must be nice!

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1212397956579627008?s=20 

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Too bad about Dennis.  Lot's of RAM fans were upset about his lack of experience, but apparently he was good enough for Ohio State so I think we missed out.  As for Jancek, I'm not sure it's really wise to dismiss him without having a replacement in place.  Therefore, do we have the replacement in place??

I would assume so, but I don't think that Coach Dude is back in Fort Collins (went to Boston to pack and move over the holidays). My guess is the new staff will be announced next week sometime, but that the initial pieces are in place. Of course, with all the firings/hirings around NCAA and NFL, this is as stable as a playing card tower in the wind.

1 hour ago, jdw said:

Baumgartner's pretty good. Long stints at Nevada and UNM, obviously knows the conference. Recruits the West Coast. UNM has issues, WR wasn't one of them (other than injuries).

https://golobos.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2786&path=football

Any word on Gonzales' staff? I'm not seeing much.

Thinking around here is early next week. This whole process has been done very quietly. I actually prefer that. 

5 minutes ago, jdw said:

Thinking around here is early next week. This whole process has been done very quietly. I actually prefer that. 

I think that's the new normal for G5.  Get dry ink on the contract before you open your mouth or you might look a little foolish.

More CSU coaching hiring rumors:

Chuck Heater - CSU’s DC 1991 & ‘92                        

Rumored Position at CSU:  DC

Student:  Michigan - RB

Current Gig:  Florida - QC

Coaching Exp:  Maryland (S), Marshall (DC,S), Temple (DC,DB), Florida (DC, S), Utah (CB, RC), Washington (RB, CB, RC), Colorado (TE, DB, RC), CSU (DC), Notre Dame (DB), Ohio St (DB), Wisco (DB), Toledo (DB & RB), NoArizona (RB)

Family:  Wife + 3-kids…son Andy played TE at Washington & son Adam was a TE & C at UCLA

Brian White                                                                                 

Rumored Position at CSU:   RB Coach

Student Life:  Harvard - QB, Notre Dame (GA - MBA)

Current Gig:  Boston College - RB (4-yrs), WR (1-yr)

Coaching Exp:  Florida (RB/TE), Washington (ST/TE), Syracuse (OC/TE), Wisco (OC/TE/RB), UNLV (PassGame/WR/RB,QB), Nevada (WR), Notre Dame (GA)

Coaching Awards:  2004 - AFCA Asst Coach of the Yr as OC at Wisconsin

Family:  Wife + 2-kids

There's a TON o' EXPERIENCE between Heater & White.  NOW ¿where are our young recruiters (other than CSA son) & the men o' color to round-out this staff?

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-steve-addazio-has-found-his-defensive-coordinator-at-colorado-state/

13 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Looks like UNM's new OC has been leaked.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-tight-ends-coach-Derek-Warehime-New-Mexico-offensive-coordinator-141606385/

Over on Lobo site some are pining for a return to the triple option since Warehime worked closely with our OC DeBesse at designing it. What do you think?

That's a good get IMO, a little surprising as I would have expected Gonzalez to get somebody with more OC experience since Gonzalez' background is on the defensive side of the ball.  Not knocking the hire at all, just expected a slightly different direction.  It'll be interesting to actually see what kind of offense UNM does trot out.

Four new coaching staffs in the MW.  CSU with their new coach will face the other three.  That does add a little intrigue to the season.

Joey Lynch                                                                                                                                        

Rumored Position at CSU:   OC/QB

Player:  Ball State - QB (2003-’06)

Current Gig:  Ball State - AHC/OC/QB

Coaching Exp:  OC - Ashland Univ & OC - St Joseph College (both schools are D-II)

Family:  Married & father of 6.  Son of Bill Lynch former HC at Ball St (1995-’02), Indiana (2005-’10) & DePauw (2003 & 2013-’19)

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-steve-addazio-hiring-fbs-offensive-coordinator/

Not as much of a slam-dunk as Chuck Heater, but a solid hire

Concerns w/this Staff as a whole:

Other than 67-y/o Chuck Heater, no Western US recruiting ties 

The two I-talians (Steve & Louie Addazio) are the closest thing we have to a man o' color on board

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/derek-warehime/1643

Warehime was running game coord at UNM before moving to Houston, so the job isn't a complete mystery. Also, there isn't an OC in the industry that started out in that position, they all grow up from position coaches. Given his resume, he's probably a decent bet. 

7 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

There has been very little input by our CSU-FresNO brethren in this tread.

@TheTedfordTrain - We miss you.  ¿Do you need a hug?

@Cincy - ¿Have you done a welfare chk your BFF?

William Inge, ST Coordinator at Indiana rumored to be DC at Fresno.

6 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Thx @Headbutt

¿Anybody know what's going on w/former CSU AHC/LB Tim Skipper?  ¿Is he staying as DC at SoNevada...did he get a look from his alma mater CSU-FresNO?

1 minute ago, AKram said:

Probable OC for CSU

KTD...look five posts above...haha

But seriously though, are you worried that our only AC w/West Coast/Inter-Mtn West recruiting ties is our 67-y/o DC Chuck Heater?  I'm also concerned we don't have any men of color on our staff.  You can't get much whiter than Joey Lynch.

@AKram - Is it cold enough for you?  My first full-day back it was +48*f NYE, then before the sun came up on New Yrs Day we had 1.5' of snow (in-town...3' at Alyeska) and single-digits.  It's -5*f now.  I'm afraid I'll have to go to Costco & get a new battery.  My 9-y/o battery doesn't like these temps.  :-(

14 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

KTD...look five posts above...haha

But seriously though, are you worried that our only AC w/West Coast/Inter-Mtn West recruiting ties is our 67-y/o DC Chuck Heater?  I'm also concerned we don't have any men of color on our staff.  You can't get much whiter than Joey Lynch.

@AKram - Is it cold enough for you?  My first full-day back it was +48*f NYE, then before the sun came up on New Yrs Day we had 1.5' of snow (in-town...3' at Alyeska) and single-digits.  It's -5*f now.  I'm afraid I'll have to go to Costco & get a new battery.  My 9-y/o battery doesn't like these temps.  :-(

A couple of things here...

1. It doesn't matter where the coach is from.  If he's any good at recruiting, he can build relationships pretty quick.  Mac had long lost his CO connections, and his best recruiting class was his first.  There's not a HS coach in the country that won't open his door to Chuck Heater or Brian White.  As JP pointed out in his interview today there is a focused effort to bring in experienced, proven coaches along with energetic, up and coming younger coaches.  The mix so far is very exciting IMO.  As far as I'm concerned, Addazio has already made more inroads to the CO talent than Bobo or Fair ever did.  Bobo didn't give the 2019 Colorado Gatorade Player of the Year the time of day.  SA offered and landed the kid within a couple of days on the job.  Tanner Hollens may or may not be all that, but CO HS coaches are on notice that we want CO kids.  A huge improvement IMO.  Also, SA didn't need to do that to make a point, he decided right off that he could use this kid.

2.  Men of color.  Please.  I'm a fan of diversity, but it's hardly the first criteria IMO.  Disregarding a candidate because of the tone of their skin is stupid and racist.  Hiring a candidate because of the tone of their skin is equally stupid and racist.  Just go get the best coaches that fit the position that you can afford, regardless of skin color.  I get the theory that an African American kid is more comfortable playing for an African American coach, but I reject that theory.  By the time these kids are looking at college they've played for coaches with a variety of skin colors many times.  The vast majority of them realize they want to play for the best coach, regardless of race or gender.  Identity politics is far less prevalent on a football field than it is on the afternoon talk shows.  I want the best LB coach we can hire.  If it's a Chinese lesbian, then sign her up.  Just make sure you get the best LB coach you can afford.  Applauding diversity is great.  Forcing it is a recipe for failure.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Besides Inge, footballscoop.com is being told by sources that Montana Tech head coach Chuck Morrell is joining Fresno State's staff. Morrell and DeBoer were teammates at Sioux Falls then after moving up thru coaching they were later the DC and OC coordinators for the team.

Footballscoop says an announcement of Fresno State's full staff is expected next week.

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-fresno-state-hiring-power-5-coordinator-as-dc/

Just now, FresnoFacts said:

Besides Inge, footballscoop.com is being told by sources that Montana Tech head coach Chuck Morrell is joining Fresno State's staff. Morrell and DeBoer were teammates at Sioux Falls then after moving up thru coaching they were later the DC and OC coordinators for the team.

Footballscoop says an announcement of Fresno State's full staff is expected next week.

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-fresno-state-hiring-power-5-coordinator-as-dc/

Just saw that.  I think it's a good fit.