Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

OT: Sling to increase price & more info

Sling is now raising rates on its programming starting in 2020. 

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/12/23/21035080/sling-tv-orange-blue-price-increase-subscription

On another note a new streaming service has started called Vidgo. It's core package starts at $39.99 for live TV with 60 channels. It has Fox for local channels and will add ABC as it expands. You may get it right away if you live in one of the markets that already has it. Great channel line up wth viacom networks and plenty sports channels including NFL network. Does not have CBS sports though. It has a one week free trial. 

https://www.vidgo.com/?wpam_id=7

I will try it out before the price increase of Hulu affects me to see if I like it. It works on three devices.

1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Thanks for the article.  Sling is now throwing in free DVR service so it basically stays the same price for those that paid the $5 per month for DVR.  Sling Blue still seems to be the best deal.

Plus they've added BTN to the Blue package. 

I used YouTubeTV this fall for football (has all the ESPN channels and the CBSSports network).  And I dropped that and signed up (again) for Sling TV on Dec. 1st.  Picture quality on Sling is much worse than what I was used to with YouTubeTV.   I had planned on staying with Sling till March of 2020 but if they are going to raise their rates yet again (and provide much less than You Tube TV and others provide) I will be cancelling my subscription to Sling yet again.

The only reason I made the switch to Sling (again) was because - as far as I know - they are the only service which has the PAC 12 channels.   Does anyone know of any other streaming service that provides the six PAC 12 channels?

1 hour ago, trvitmvnz said:

I got YoutubeTV. How would you compare the two?

YouTube TV has a whole hell of a lot more channels  than Sling TV.  Picture quality on YouTubeTV is a LOT better than Sling.   YouTubeTV also has an unlimited DVR feature that allows you to record as much as you want - at no additional charge.  Whereas my subscription to Sling came with no DVR option at all.   If I recall correctly (I've used Sling the last three years but only for a few months at a time) if you want the DVR you have to pay extra for that with Sling.

Hope that gives you SOME idea of these two streaming TV services.

I looked up Vidgo today and it has all 6 of the PAC12 channels if you pay for the higher tier...huge downfall for me is the lack of CBSSports since that is what a lot of MWC games are on. fubol lacks ESPN channels but has pretty much every other sports’ channel. 

I have PSVue now that, which has everything I want (CBSSports, like 8 ESPN channels, FS1 and 2, NBS Sports, Big 10 channels, ACC and SEC Networks along with NFL Network (no PAC12 Network). With Vue going adios in January 2020, I have been looking for a replacement, but have yet to find something that offers everything I am currently getting with PSVue. 

On 12/24/2019 at 12:43 PM, Bronco7454 said:

I used YouTubeTV this fall for football (has all the ESPN channels and the CBSSports network).  And I dropped that and signed up (again) for Sling TV on Dec. 1st.  Picture quality on Sling is much worse than what I was used to with YouTubeTV.   I had planned on staying with Sling till March of 2020 but if they are going to raise their rates yet again (and provide much less than You Tube TV and others provide) I will be cancelling my subscription to Sling yet again.

The only reason I made the switch to Sling (again) was because - as far as I know - they are the only service which has the PAC 12 channels.   Does anyone know of any other streaming service that provides the six PAC 12 channels?

Fubo tv has all the PAC channels. No ESPN or ABC though.

FYI.  Sling also revamped their channel lineup.  Blue basic only has FS1, NBCSN/RSN, Stadium.  FS2 has moved to the sports extra package which costs $10/month extra.  
Sling still offers TNT and TBS on both services,  USA is added on Blue..for any pro sports viewers.

Orange basic only has ESPN, ESPN 2/3, Stadium.  
Can add sports pack for $10/month to get ESPN U/News, conference networks.

On 12/24/2019 at 4:34 PM, lobo81 said:

I looked up Vidgo today and it has all 6 of the PAC12 channels if you pay for the higher tier...huge downfall for me is the lack of CBSSports since that is what a lot of MWC games are on. fubol lacks ESPN channels but has pretty much every other sports’ channel. 

I have PSVue now that, which has everything I want (CBSSports, like 8 ESPN channels, FS1 and 2, NBS Sports, Big 10 channels, ACC and SEC Networks along with NFL Network (no PAC12 Network). With Vue going adios in January 2020, I have been looking for a replacement, but have yet to find something that offers everything I am currently getting with PSVue. 

Pretty sure Hulu Live has all those. It's a great service. But the price is going up. Definitely not the cheapest, but it seems to have a good lineup.

On 12/25/2019 at 6:06 PM, Uncle Juan said:

Fubo tv has all the PAC channels. No ESPN or ABC though.

Yes, I've tried Fubo in the past.  Didn't care for it and I see it's now priced at $55/month.  They made it clear (to me at least) that they are all about SOCCER.

On 12/24/2019 at 4:34 PM, lobo81 said:

I've never heard of "Vidgo".  I'll have to check that out. 

What's this about Playstation Vue ending in January (this month).  I haven't seen or heard anything about that. 

If you are looking for a replacement for PSV I'd suggest Hulu LIVE or YouTubeTV

I switched from YouTubeTV back to SlingTV in early December (last month) because it was only $35/month for the Sports Package (which includes the 6 PAC 12 channels) but I see it's now going up to $45 this month.  And the Sling TV is just as awful as I remember.  I was trying to watch the football game last night on Sling and the picture kept cutting out - repeatedly.  Plus the picture quality - for whatever reason - is much worse on Sling than what I was used to on YouTubeTV.  I don't know what SlingTV is doing....................but they aren't doing it right.

4 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

What's this about Playstation Vue ending in January (this month).  I haven't seen or heard anything about that. 

I switched from YouTubeTV back to SlingTV in early December (last month) because it was only $35/month for the Sports Package (which includes the 6 PAC 12 channels) but I see it's now going up to $45 this month.  And the Sling TV is just as awful as I remember.  I was trying to watch the football game last night on Sling and the picture kept cutting out - repeatedly.  Plus the picture quality - for whatever reason - is much worse on Sling than what I was used to on YouTubeTV.  I don't know what SlingTV is doing....................but they aren't doing it right.

Yeah Sling is horrible picture wise had to drop them because the picture would cut out too much. Vidgo is a new service if you click on the link above in my original comment you can see the channel listings. Vidgo is going to be adding DVR sometime this year as well. I'll try out the free trial next month to see how it works out. If I don't like it I'll be going back to YouTube TV. This will be my last month of Hulu live.

I was very happy with YouTubeTV - especially their unlimited DVR feature.  I would DVR all of the weekly MWC football games ahead of time and then watch them as I wanted throughout the following week.  As I said earlier the only reason I switched back to Sling TV was because of the PAC 12 channels - which I use to watch various PAC 12 events after the football season is over.   Now that Sling is raising their price to $45 /month (and it's NOT worth it) I may try what you suggested here late this month.  I'm sure I've already been billed for this month by Sling TV so I'll wait till the end of the month to switch to Vidgo.   I  bookmarked their website this morning. 

Next fall I'll go back to YouTubeTV for the football season (unless the rumor about the MWC football games being on FoxSports and CBS are true).

That's the nice thing about these streaming TV services.  There are NO contracts to sign and you can change any time you want.

13 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

PSVue is ending at the end of this month. Sony had the streaming service for 4 years, but they have decided to get out of this rat race. An email sent to PSVue customers recommended users turn to Youtube.