Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

The official summarize your school’s football season thread.

Realizing that the season is still going for a few schools, thought I would start this for those that have already finished. The others can contribute later or as they see fit.

For Boise State, after coming down from my drunkenness last night, I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with how the season went. I anticipated 3 losses and the team exceeded that. It's easy to get lost in all the hoorah and toxicity over the course of the year but I feel pretty good this morning. Plus, I'm happy for Pete. In summary, the program still has a bright future, Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself, and the #FireHarsin tradition will live on.

For next year, I am excited to see how Hank Bachmeier progresses with a full year under his belt. The offensive line will need to be retooled and losing Hightower and Butler will hurt. But otherwise the skill positions are loaded. I’m wondering if the coaches will bring in another grad transfer at QB or go the juco route. 

On defense, seriously going to miss Weaver, Moa, and Hatata. There is some talent coming in to replace them however, Washington has a lot of potential to be the next great DE ... just needs to bulk up. The coaches have got to bring some linebackers in as the roster is thin, I’m hoping to see at least one big signee on the final recruiting day.

Lastly, I’m curious if there will be any shuffling on the coaching staff. One glaring red flag is the o-line performance. Zak Hill’s replacement seems to be Eric Keisau (sp?) but who knows. 

Anyway, that’s my take. Let’s see what the rest of my MWC brethren have ... Please give us your season summary. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Good-Very good season. If you told us preseason we’d win 10 games, DOMINATE in the bowl, and beat BYU/Fresno/UCLA, I’m sure every Aztec could take that. 

Rocky went from winning MWC titles and losing OOC games, and not so infrequently FCS games. This year, we went 5-0 OOC with a bowl win and wins at UCLA and vs BYU. Somehow that same team couldn’t show up vs good, but not great, USU/UNR/UH.

Horton took 13 games to finally open up with the passing game, which opened up lanes for Byrd to emerge as a serious RB threat next season. 

Top 10 defense throughout the entire season, and our kicker set a school record for FGs. Without a consistent kicker, we’d probably be 8-5 or worse. Barcoo leads the nation in INTs and Tezino will be playing on Sundays, but the rest of the defense also played great-amazing at times.

Our best WR is a local walk-on, now on a scholly. The rest of the WR corps showed promise, and I’m excited to see what they can do with Baker/Sears at QB next season.

I think 2020 could be a great season. Hope the team keeps this energy into the offseason.

This was probably one of the most dissappointing seasons in recent memory for me.  There were so many games there for the taking and the Pokes just couldn't execute and finish at the end.  The offense was frustrating to watch and just made me wonder what might have been with an average offense.  

The good news is that the program has progressed to this level after some serious shitty years.  The downside is that I expect more of the same next year in regards to the shitty offense and thinking what if.  

2 big program building wins, 4 program hindering massacres, one absolute disgrace to end then season, and also we got into a brawl.

So, ya know, week in week out a pretty big Saturday.

SpecificLeafyAustraliankelpie-size_restr

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

We could've gone bowling this year.

I'm happy for Josh Love. Almost no one expected that he would be the MW Conference Offensive Player of The Year and become a Burlsworth Award Semifinalist (vs. 10 people). 2019 was his best performance as Spartan. I don't how hard it's going to be to replace. The possible candidates are Nick Nash (Dual-Threat) and Alec Trujillo (Pro-Style) because they are the only other quarterbacks that got a chance to play on the field.

The O-Line has a done a wonderful job protecting him. In 2018, SJSU allowed 39 sacks, in 2019 SJSU allowed 14. This stat is why Love was given more time to throw and seemed more comfortable in pocket. According to the depth chart, we're expected to lose 4 O-Linemen because of graduation. We recruited 1 O-Lineman so far. I think this offensive line has what it takes to keep it up. The next task is to allow the running game more yards per game. It improved, but SJSU still has the worst running game in the conference.

Regarding the Defense, losing Bryson Bridges and Boogie Roberts really took a toll. SJSU is 125th in rushing yards allowed this year and 124th in against 3rd Down Offenses. These are among the biggest reasons why SJSU couldn't pull off the upset against Boise. The secondary, however, was most responsible for SJSU being Top 25 in the turnover margin finishing at +10.

Lots of improvements MUST be made on the defense. If we can do that, there's no doubt in my mind we could go bowling again.

I like our chances going forward.

5 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

This was probably one of the most dissappointing seasons in recent memory for me.  There were so many games there for the taking and the Pokes just couldn't execute and finish at the end.  The offense was frustrating to watch and just made me wonder what might have been with an average offense.  

The good news is that the program has progressed to this level after some serious shitty years.  The downside is that I expect more of the same next year in regards to the shitty offense and thinking what if.  

I guess the 10-loss 2015 season doesn’t qualify as “recent memory.”

53A28AEE-DEC2-49B8-8A37-A5782811872D.jpeg

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

I guess the 10-loss 2015 season doesn’t qualify as “recent memory.”

53A28AEE-DEC2-49B8-8A37-A5782811872D.jpeg

I get more disappointed in seasons that might have been rather than shitty seasons.  I knew that year would be crap, so it didn't disappoint me as much